• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you look for/prefer in an ending?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:44 am Reply with quote
When it comes to endings what do you look for or what do you like to see? Do you like happy endings, sad endings, cliff hangers, thinkers, something simple, something else?

Personally I'll go for anything as long as it's well done. If everyone dies I don't get upset, if everything works out I'm fine with that too. I know there's a lot of people out there that hate tragedies where the main characters die, or maybe even everyone dies (my brother's one of them). Other just keep looking for an Eva ending, something that makes them think and can't settle for anything else.

So what type do you prefer?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:07 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
When it comes to endings what do you look for or what do you like to see? Do you like happy endings, sad endings, cliff hangers, thinkers, something simple, something else?

Personally I'll go for anything as long as it's well done. If everyone dies I don't get upset, if everything works out I'm fine with that too. I know there's a lot of people out there that hate tragedies where the main characters die, or maybe even everyone dies (my brother's one of them). Other just keep looking for an Eva ending, something that makes them think and can't settle for anything else.

So what type do you prefer?

Emerje

as long as there's resolve and it aint too sappy, i don't care. most animes are struggling with that these days.
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:19 am Reply with quote
I like ending that resolve things as V1cious said, but not if it doesn't leave anything open to speculation. For example, I like the Blue Seed ending that finishes the plot of the series, and resolves the major problems. Durong the credits they show what the characters are up to, without too much detail, without any narration.

In contrast, Nadia had a good ending, but then they did a flash forward like 10 years later and told you what happened to everyone and it was kinda like "this is it, we don't wan't to tax your brain with imagination so we'll cut off any possibilty of anything in terms of story."

In short, resolved, but still open ended in terms of character development.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:50 am Reply with quote
I like an ending that both resolves the ending and leave you thing about what the show/movie ment. But, for a long running anime it is better for it to have a solid conclusion that wraps up all the lose ends, where as a moive can get away with leave some unanswered questions.
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:51 am Reply with quote
Cool

Im a sucker for a happy ending. But I also like endings that fit. I liked CB's ending but wish things had turned out better.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't care whether it's happy or sad. I just want closure. No loose ends, no dangling mysteries, no possible doorway to a poorly-done sequel pickup later on. Just an absolute finale. I don't care if everybody dies or everybody has a happy foo-foo bunny love ending. I just want everything to be completely explained and there should be nothing else to look for. It's done. Leave it forever. Close the damn book already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Toubib

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The most important thing for me is that it ties up any loose ends. But I'm also a sucker for a tragic ending. I really like how Vampire D:BloodLust ended. I think I cried the first time I watched it. I also like how Cowboy Bebop ended. It leaves it up to you to decide what happened with all the characters except for Ed really. And althought the popular opinion is that Spike dies at the end, that's a personal call. After all we all thought he died the first time in Jupiter Jazz, Part One. And he's proven to be a tough guy getting shot and falling our of a second story building in Ballad of Fallen Angels. But again I think I almost cried till they started up with the more upbeat music at the end. And I'm trying to think of a crappy ending....08MS Team left a bit to be desired,especially after I learned that there is more to the ending then showed on CN. Don't know if they tell more on the DVD or not. But really that's more of a "I want the full story" situation then a bad ending. They did show that the guy and girl got hurt without really hitting you over the head with it. Outlaw star....I still want to know if Suzuka loves Gene...so that was a loose string in my book.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OneAnimeFan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:09 am Reply with quote
I like an ending that ties up loose ends, is a little touching, but some how manages to stay upbeat.
Freddy C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
i just hate open endings that just leaves you TOTALLY confused, i dont mind open ended endings as long as there's something to ponder about, but some films and animes, it just seems as if the money ran out and bang, the thing's finished==>?????????

it personally prefer sad endings, but when there's a good reason (normally when i respect or care for the characters) i'd like to see a happy ending.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Freddy, why are bringing back up these year old topics? Isn't there anything more recent you'd rather talk about?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Freddy, why are bringing back up these year old topics? Isn't there anything more recent you'd rather talk about?

I agree. It's nice that you are trying to discuss things, but a lot of these really old topics don't make much for really long or insightful discussion.

A lot of them are easy to answer or consist of such a small number of replies that most people probably won't care. Ah well, just try have better judgement on some of them OK? Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention that many of yesterday's topics are now on page 2.

Emerje
Freddy C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Not to mention that many of yesterday's topics are now on page 2.

Emerje

yea yea sorry for all inconvince caused...

[np. Now you know for future reference. -b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1