• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Transformers the movie discussion.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmarelord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Some people say the movie is anime while others say it is not. I would say it is because it sparked the line of Takara Transformers line. Headmasters, Super God Masterforce, and Victory are the ones I believe.

What are your thoughts? Discuss.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
It was animated by Toei, but so were G.I. Joe, Muppet Babies, My Little Pony and Friends, and every other Marvel/Hasbro/Sunbow animated production of the era, so I'm in the "no" column on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It was animated by Toei, but so were G.I. Joe, Muppet Babies, My Little Pony and Friends, and every other Marvel/Hasbro/Sunbow animated production of the era, so I'm in the "no" column on that one.

I thought G.I. Joe was Sunrise; but wow! Muppet Babies was "anime"!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about that recent series, but the classic 1980s G.I. Joe was animated at Toei, like everything else from Sunbow.

But it, and Muppet Babies, were done for American television, so I don't call them "anime".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The Transformers movie had animation assistance from Toei, as did the initial 3 TV seasons, however it was not helmed by the japanese, nor directed, written or paticular worked on. It came out roughly six years after the US Theatre release, and did not entirely "spark" the Headmasters and such. Hell, they got the movie after headmasters and what not, so it doesn't matter.

But it's still something people like, so whatever. It's a great film, with pretty compotent writing and directing, once you take it as a piece of 1980's film and childhood nostalgia, and nothing else. I recently rewatched it with some friends who hadn't watched Transformers before, but could get into it once they realised the nature of the film.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
It's one of those hybrids neither American annimated or anime. Reguardless of who actually created it, it's completely awesome and one of the best movies ever made. I must have rented it like a hundred times from the video store as kid. I knew all the lines and could recite them from memory. I couldn't do that any more but I did buy it on DVD and it was even better with surround sound and the inclusion of the two deleted lines of cursing that weren't in the video version. Cool
AHZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
One of my favorites when I was a kid. Some people do consider it anime, which I wasn't aware of until recently. But, that movie is definitely getting a place on my shelf--if only for the sake of nostalgia.

My favorite part is when Hot Rod turns into Rodimus Prime; just thought I'd throw that out there. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1