• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Personal Review thread. (Read first post)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay to explain things. I wanna hear personal reviews from actual users on the ANN forums on anime that they've seen. It doesn't have to be your favourite or least favourite anime, just an anime you've seen. Pretty simple explanation ehh? Anyways here are some things that I would like for people to include in their own reviews on anime series/movies/ovas. Another thing, each review should try to be divided into 2 paragraphs. The first explaining the good parts of the anime and the second explaining the bad and should end with a conclusion to sum up your review. Grade should follow after the end of the second paragraph. Also state whether you saw it dubbed or subbed. Use my review as an example.

Here is the grading system I would like for people to use:

100 = Perfect anime: Everyone should watch this
90 - 99 = Masterpiece: Perfect for almost anyone
80 - 89 = Excellent: Series/Movie worth being in any collection
70 - 79 = Very Good: Series/Movie worth your time and money
60 - 69 = Good: Series/Movie worth sitting through all the way.
50 - 59 = Decent: Series/Movie worth viewing half-way.
49 and below = Should be erased from your memory.

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (Movie)(dubbed)

Okay I just saw this movie today (today being Tuesday, October 11th 2005) and right now i'm having trouble getting it off my mind.

Now to start off here are some of the good parts that I found in it. For the most part the action was good and decently animated. However seeing as this is based off a video game I had little to no expectations of it. I did read a review on it previously and found out its not as bad as they said it was(though i'm a sucker for fighting game anime). Though I hate to admit it I did enjoy the fanservice Embarassed. I guess thats all that I found that was good.

Now for the bad. Too many cliched lines and events. Useless cameo appearances by characters from the game. Horrible music. Standard unoriginal villain. Useless underlings that die off easily. Standard plot and story for an action anime. Overuse of fanservice and a little to much jiggle for Mai's juggs. Useless shower scene. The only character I liked died, jeez that always happens. Ohh and not to mention that the voice acting was horrible to begin with.

All in all this anime isn't a total waste of time but not very memorable. Only really for fans of game and action fans. Nothing special but not too horrid either.

Grade: 51/100

Ok to make things easier i'll move the list that contains each anime that i've reviewed to this first post. I will also include what page the review is on t omake things easier. Hope this makes it easier for the viewers.

Air (TV) - 90/100 - Page 2
    Appleseed (Movie) - 83/100 - Page 4
    Cowboy Bebop: Knockin On Heaven's Door (Movie) - 96/100 - Page 2
    Grave Of The Fireflies (Movie) - 99/100 - Page 4
    Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (Movie) - 51/100 - Page 1
    Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Movie/OVA) - 80/100 - Page 2
    Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (TV) - 89/100 - Page 3
    Ichigo 100% (TV) - 57/100 - Page 2
    Ichigo 100% OVA (OVA) - 60/100 - Page 2
    Movile Suit Gundam SEED (TV) - 69/100 - Page 3
    Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (Movie) - 62/100 - Page 3
    Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (Movie/OVA) - 76/100 - Page 3
    Naruto Movie 1: Katsugeki!! Yuki Hime Shinobu Houjou Dattebayo! (Movie) - 85/100 - Page 2
    Rurouni Kenshin (TV) 84/100 - Page 3
    Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen (OVA) - 97/100 - Page 3
    Samurai Champloo (TV) - 82/100 - Page 4
    Steamboy (Movie) - 96/100 - Page 4
    Vision Of Escaflowne: A Girl In Gaea (Movie) - 70/100 - Page 4
    X/1999 (Movie) - 19/100 - Page 2

Heres what i'll be reviewing shortly:

Mahou Sensei Negima (TV)
    Mai-HiME (TV)
    Princess Mononoke (Movie)
    Rurouni Kenshin: Requiem Of The Ishen Patriots (Movie)
    Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen (OVA)
    Shadow Skill (TV)
    Tsubasa Chronicle (TV)

Look forward to them!

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Last edited by IchigoK90 on Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:30 pm; edited 14 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a good idea, it'll allow everyone to get more discussion in like this...

err... I'd post, but I already write for another place and I'm pretty sure that it'd be disrespectful to post my stuff elsewhere...

ANYWAY, go for it, but first, is this allowed?

We kinda need an okay from a mod or something...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
There is a place called My Anime. Why don't you make the best use of a feature already available on this site?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
woah, I didn't even knew that existed!

So what now?

The thing is, posting reviews could spark up discussion... well, I dunno, I'll leave it to the mods
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
The thing is, posting reviews could spark up discussion...

I agree with that, especially for lesser-known, more niched titles. However, what would happen if someone posts his opinion on some titles popular but also resented by many e.g. Naruto?

"I think Naruto should emphasize more on plot and character development."

"Of course it has a plot!!! How can you give it below 90?!?!"

"lol no it hasn't. grow up n00b."

"shut up you elitist"

"You should watch the way you talk, narutard."

"F---

*(Locked)

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with your take on FF: The Motion Picture.

For a movie produced in 1994 and based off a fighting game, I find it to be a one of the best incarnations within that particular genre of anime.

Instead of just having several dozen characters beat the snot out of each other with no central goal to achieve, I feel the whole Greek/Roman mythological element was a nice touch to a readily action filled atmosphere.

And instead of little to no character development, the movie did a good job of adding an emotional side that we could never really see in a video game. The tragic romance of Terry, the emergence of Andy's and Mai's relationship, and the typical, yet well paced, portrayal of Laucorn's madness make the movie very enjoyable to me.

I especially enjoyed the music, as it gave the whole film an epic feel and flowed very well with the mythological theme I mentioned earlier. It also opened my ears for future references to any score composed by one of my growing favorite musicians, Toshihiko Sahashi.

I've seen the movie both dubbed and subbed, and it's one of the few anime I actually prefer in English. Not to say one is better than the other. The only thing that bugs me in the Japanese version is Terry's seiyuu (his attack name yells are very weak Anime smallmouth, though I do enjoy the 4.0 Dolby Digital track, whereas the English track is only 2.0).

I think I've viewed the movie at least 8 times already, and I never ever get tired of it. It's an energetic and fun movie with a good amount of action and just enough miscellaneous material to make it all fit together. I give it a Masterpiece rating under the Encyclopedia entry.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
There is a place called My Anime. Why don't you make the best use of a feature already available on this site?

I'm with him on this. Instead of creating a topic the will end up being 100+ posts we should just use a feature already on the website the way it was intended for. If you questions for the person you can send him a private message or try to get him through the forums or email him/her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
I'm with him on this. Instead of creating a topic the will end up being 100+ posts we should just use a feature already on the website the way it was intended for. If you questions for the person you can send him a private message or try to get him through the forums or email him/her.

In fact, I've suggested a "reversed" My Anime system long ago. Such system could provide direct links for fans who share similar interests.

By the way, IchigoK90 was not the first person not knowing how to use My Anime to the fullest extent....
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
remember love wrote:

In fact, I've suggested a "reversed" My Anime system long ago. Such system could provide direct links for fans who share similar interests.

By the way, IchigoK90 was not the first person not knowing how to use My Anime to the fullest extent....

Took me awhile to figure it out. But I figured you had some system going on when I couldn't figure out how to rate the animes on your website till I found the my anime section. So I understand where they are comming from. I think there should be like a thead next to the rules or something explainin gthe system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Ughh well sorry. I didn't know many of the features of the My Anime section so I just made this thread without knowledge. However I think a review based on one's personal opinion would be heard more in the forums than in the My Anime section. I don't know how many people actually use the My Anime feature but for people just browsing the forums would be an easier way for people to make their own reviews on anime that they've seen. Well thats how I feel about it. Anyways its not my call if this thread gets locked or such.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
actually, I think Dormcat's improved version of the My Anime section would be worlds more helpful than how it is now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Ughh well sorry. I didn't know many of the features of the My Anime section so I just made this thread without knowledge. However I think a review based on one's personal opinion would be heard more in the forums than in the My Anime section. I don't know how many people actually use the My Anime feature but for people just browsing the forums would be an easier way for people to make their own reviews on anime that they've seen. Well thats how I feel about it. Anyways its not my call if this thread gets locked or such.

I doubt it'll get locked. While there is a section n the website for this thing, you're right, hardly anyone knows about it. And your post is really breaking any of the rules. And has some intellegence to it, I think it'll stay but that's up to the mods.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
The "reversed" method sounds interesting.

And as for the My Anime function-- I mostly use it to keep a list of what I watched and if I liked it or not. I doesn't really seem to serve any other function..... I guess it puts the votes into the larger overall rating, right? And I've wanted to make mine public for a long time, but I've never been able to figure out where to do that. It's probably really simple, but honestly, I've spent some time on this and haven't been able to figure out where to do it.

But yeah, I might be able to make comments on My Anime, but who's gonig to really read them besides myself? I think what most people are looking for is a way to connect and discuss things with others about specific titles they like. I don't know if a thread like this is the right way to do that (I do think it would get out of control very early, and be hard to find specific "reviews"), but I don't think the My Anime function really fills that desire either.

Just my two cents.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
And I've wanted to make mine public for a long time, but I've never been able to figure out where to do that. It's probably really simple, but honestly, I've spent some time on this and haven't been able to figure out where to do it.

Anime smile + sweatdrop See this article for a step-by-step tutorial.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Ok how about this. I use this as my personal way of letting people read my reviews easier or faster. After they've read my review they can have their comments on it and then discuss it? Anyways i'll be making another review soon on the first Naruto movie and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Look forward to them!

- IchigoK90
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5