• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Comments on Viz's So-Called UK Releases

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
Is it me or have Viz Media left it too little, too late with their so called UK releases of certain titles like Fushigi Yuugi, Dragonball, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Case Closed considering that TokyoPop have not only cornered the market for manga in the UK but have even encouraged the market to grow here by setting up offices in the UK, pricing certain titles in British Pounds Sterling and doing all kinds of promotions in certain magazines plus special offers in various comic shops like buy three for £15.00 for example.

As for the UK releases, the smart buyers will have already not only bought them on import but they'll also be one up on their newbie brethen.

The choice of titles is reasonable altho I would have chosen One Piece over the overhyped piece of crap that is Case Closed especially as the anime is already showing over here on Toonami even if it's the bastardised 4Kids version or Rurouni Kenshin.

As for Shonen Jump, I find it seriously hypocritical that Viz will allow back issue orders but not orders for subscriptions from their online store... I have no problems getting individual copies from my local comic store in Liverpool but I am a bit put out that I can't subscribe as they have some good extra's available to SJ subscribers...

The manga market is getting bigger and better by the day with all the major publishers getting into the act by getting licenses for the UK market as well as other markets, not just the North American market altho why Viz didn't think about getting licenses for other English-speaking countries in the first place a few years back before the big controversy happened which prevented orders for their titles from Previews being made outside the US and Canada.

Sorry Viz, but I think rather than support your so-called UK releases, I'll get the US imports instead...
mr truth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
it looks like viz dont give a $hit about the uk and there releases are a joke
and if you can go to amazon uk you can find oh i dont know everysingle viz manga out there and there a bit cheaper!
look for yourself-www.amazon.co.uk
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1