• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Loduss War

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeCookieGurl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine has just watched The Loduss War and said it was pretty good. How would you rate it?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I found it very enjoyable as well, particularly if you are a fan of tabletop RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons. For the time, the animation was great, and though dated, it still stands the test of time, IMO. It was one of the first of its kind, and it spawned many of the other swords and sorcery animes that have come out since then.

Have to point this out: It's spelled "Lodoss," not "Loduss."
Sharpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked Lodoss as well. I thought the story was a little hurried, but this was more than made up for by the ample D&D content of the series. Anyone who played the game will probably enjoy this series.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the original OVA but not the series. It's basically a Dungeons & Dragons quest on film, so if you like the game it's worth a rental and is an enjoyable way to spend a rainy weekend. Sadly, it didn't grab me enough to buy it, though. Glad I saw it once, but don't need to see it again. As far as dramatic fantasy series go, I think Vision of Escaflowne, .hack//SIGN and The Twelve Kingdoms all surpass it.
AnimeCookieGurl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
thanks all. Anime smile (sorry for the miss spell.)
Alter User Kazuma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
The full name is Record of Lodoss War, and it's one of my all-time favorites with Berserk and Escaflowne (I love fantasy stuff), though I far disagree with .hack//SIGN being anywhere near it's caliber (though then again I have a hatred for all things .hack anyway). The original series is a little more action-packed, gory, and better animated, but the second series has a much better fleshed out story and characters. I'd say give both a try, the boxsets are pretty cheap nowadays anyway.
Rumina-X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The Lodoss War boxset was the first I bought (it was the second anime I ever saw, the first being Akira) and though I liked it at the time I have kind have developed a dislikeness for Lodoss Wars. It is quite original and pretty epic but the story had many dry points to me that didn't keep me interested and I greatly disliked the main character Parn. He at times seemed slow, dim-witted, and moronic to me like he didn't really ever seem to understand anything. But mainly looking back the story was hard for me to keep interest in.

There is another Lodoss series that I am unfamiliar with and it may be better.

If you do watch this anime and like it at all then I really recommend 12 Kingdoms. Even if you don't like it overall but like the setting and mood then you might want to still check that one out.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is the plot of both series... exactly the same?
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:

Which ones, .hack// and Record of Lodoss War? Because I'm not so sure. You have the different factions banding together part right, but not the malevolent presence in the world factor.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:

Uh..

Yeah, they're exactly the same. Except, wait, totally different.

At the same time. Laughing

Sarcasm aside, I think you're very mistaken, as Lodoss and .hack are very different. Lodoss is Lotr-esque, with a simply, honest plot. Now take that and add Tron into the mix, and BAM! .Hack//Sign. Laughing

Last edited by Haru to Ashura on Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
THe original OVA was hurried during the second half (which the tv series re-covers) to fit EVERYTHING in the novels into the 2nd half of a 13 episode OVA. This is an admission made freely in the insert for the TV boxed set. The more accurate rendition of the OVA's second half IS the TV series.

So for the most accurate assessment, watch the first half of the OVA, and then the entire TV series. Even then, however, there are some continuity issues:

spoiler[Mainly revolving around Kasshu (sp?) and his role in the war. In the OVA, it is the King of Fallis (forgot his name) who fights Emperor Beld, and IIRC it is Karla who kills Beld through magic, while the King of Fallis is mortally wounded. In the TV series, Kasshu is the one who fights Beld and also kills him. This inconsistancy is the only real inconsistancy between OVA and TV series up until the 2nd half of the OVA, which is where the OVA and series seriously diverge....and the TV series comes out on top IMO. The OVA simply rushed things far too much. They had too much ground to cover in 7 episodes, and it was done FAR better in 26 eps than in 7.].

I liked both: TV series and OVA. THe opener for the TV series is pure heaven and is the first anime opener that I became a real solid fan of. It still remains one of my favorite anime songs still: Kiseki no Umi (that's how it's spelled in the file I got of it) by Sakamoto and Yoko Kano.

As to Lodoss War's comparison with Escaflowne....IMO it's comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both sword and sorcery, but Escaflowne is more like sword and mecha, rather than sorcery. They tone of both series is different, though both have an epic feel to them. I'm a solid fan of BOTH and highly recommend them. Chances are that if you like Escaflowne, you'll like Record of Lodoss War. If you're also a D&D fan (current or former player....I am the latter), you'll absolutely ADORE Lodoss War. It's one of the best "quests"/campaigns I've ever seen done....and they did it just right....with enough D&D feel but without the D&D stats. You'll truly feel emmersed.

Animation is so-so, but it's not bad in the least. I also like how outlandishly large the armor is and how fast the knights who wear it run....it's over the top, but it is straight out of any man's boyhood sword-fighting fantasies....totally cool for the kid in all of us.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
the thing that really annoys me in these fantasy series is the armour.

why do they even bother wearing it! It just gets cut right through as if it werent there anyway...
Dark_Kaine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I like the first one better, the OVA series I think. Because it made sense to me and I know what is going on. But in the second one that got me real good. I was so confused on that one, I must have skipped one episode when The little boy Spark became an adult and alot has change. So i don't know what my rate is who knows
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
THe first ep of the 2nd story arc tells that it's 9 (or so) years since the events of destroying Red Flame at Fire Dragon Mountain. That's how we know that spark has grown up....and also since we now see him grown up and it's obviously the same spark we saw briefly in the first arc. Not that hard to comprehend, IMO.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the OAV, but I have yet to see the TV series. Since it is pretty easy to find both for a lower price, I'm going to have to look into accquiring them.

This is one of those classic series that I don't think a lot of people getting into anime now are familiar with, which makes me somewhat sad.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1