• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baccano Blu-Ray Complete Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
This just sort of came out of nowhere:
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/q54VihtQq6UpAcE=x=/browse/item/91573/4/0/0

$55 for the whole series on Blu-Ray. It's also being released by Aniplex instead of Funi. Also a Limited Run, so I'm guessing it'll be completely gone on day one.

Good show, good price. Seems they're starting to learn... Laughing
Dan297na

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they will include the 5.1 English audio track this time.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
Hopefully they will include the 5.1 English audio track this time.
It appears they're the exact same discs as the Japanese release, so no 5.1 track. I was on the fence about ordering for this reason; I decided to get it just because I remember the Funi DVDs not exactly having the best picture quality (even for a DVD).
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey, man, this is late news--it was announced like a week ago. Surprised

xD.

Seriously, though. Can you guys go two f**king seconds without having to start s**t with one another? I mean, I'm usually the main dude who's gonna be laughing at a series of arguments over the web over nothing, but even I'm getting tired of this crap. Confused
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

Anime hyper That's what I get for being away for like a week. But, I figured since it wasn't on the main page, there wouldn't be much of a problem. It was a somewhat stealthy announcement. It was only posted on Aniplex's main page.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Anime hyper That's what I get for being away for like a week. But, I figured since it wasn't on the main page, there wouldn't be much of a problem. It was a somewhat stealthy announcement. It was only posted on Aniplex's main page.
Yeah, kinda. A load of people over at AnimeOnDVD are losing their shit over this, though. Myself included. Laughing
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Yeah, kinda. A load of people over at AnimeOnDVD are losing their shit over this, though. Myself included. Laughing

I already have the original releases on DVD, but I'm seriously considering this one if it isn't just a simple upscale. I've always found the initial and subsequent releases to somewhat lack on picture quality. Too blurry in a lot of occasions. And for less than $60, I don't think I'll be feeling any buyers' remorse.

Might even sell off my original release it if turns out better. I've noticed the vol 1 box is hard to come by these days.

And just to add...this Baccano set also makes me feel rather idiotic...considering I just crapped out $45 for a mere 8 episodes of Durarara!!...when they'll probably just re-release it in a better master on Blu-Ray. =_=
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I already have the original releases on DVD, but I'm seriously considering this one if it isn't just a simple upscale. I've always found the initial and subsequent releases to somewhat lack on picture quality. Too blurry in a lot of occasions. And for less than $60, I don't think I'll be feeling any buyers' remorse.

Might even sell off my original release it if turns out better. I've noticed the vol 1 box is hard to come by these days.
I have the first complete collection release for Baccano!--the one they released December 2009, not the one from a few months ago. With the series being one of my top faves, I've got no problem double-dipping for it. And a few people have said the DVDs looked bleh, but mine looked fine to me. Confused

But yeah, it is an uspcale, since the show isn't native HD. But over at AoDVD, when somebody posted a set of pics, people continued to lose their shit because it looked amazing for an upscale. And, I mean, the box is awesome, the price is low, AND it's limited. Now or never, bro.

Quote:
And just to add...this Baccano set also makes me feel rather idiotic...considering I just crapped out $45 for a mere 8 episodes of Durarara!!...when they'll probably just re-release it in a better master on Blu-Ray. =_=
That's part of the reason I don't own the DRRR!! DVDs--over $40 for 8 eps? As I'm just a teen with no job, tch, I'll pass.

I did buy the 1st episode of DRRR!! on the Playstation Network the other day, though. They've got the first 9 eps of their for 99 cents each. Pretty good 1st ep--I might continue buying it. Laughing Even though I've always preferred physical media, the $35 price difference makes it fine by me to own it digital instead. And it's cool, 'because I can watch it on my PSP and all, since I hate streaming. Cool
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
I have the first complete collection release for Baccano!--the one they released December 2009, not the one from a few months ago. With the series being one of my top faves, I've got no problem double-dipping for it.

Baccano is my top favorite show too and that why I own all four of the singles and also the complete collection(not the veridian one);I had wanted the new extras and the new artwork on the cases. So Sanosuke_Inara I too got no problem double-dipping for it, oh I mean triple dipping. Wink

Quote:
That's part of the reason I don't own the DRRR!! DVDs--over $40 for 8 eps? As I'm just a teen with no job, tch, I'll pass.

I had to get a certain someone to buy me Part one, as a Christmas gift. I want to buy series that I like, but it's hard when you don't have a job. I haven't preorder part 2 or part 3 yet and I don't think I will; I be broke if I do that. Also even though I like DRRR, it not one of my top favorite(I really didn't like the second half), so I'm not in a rush to want it right now.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
DarkRoseFairy wrote:
Baccano is my top favorite show too and that why I own all four of the singles and also the complete collection(not the veridian one);I had wanted the new extras and the new artwork on the cases. So Sanosuke_Inara I too got no problem double-dipping for it, oh I mean triple dipping. Wink
Well, Baccano!'s actually my 3rd favorite series and 4th favorite anime overall. Since I love it so much, I actually planned on just importing the BD Box sometime down down the road(which would cost me a cool $300), but, thankfully, it came stateside, so I won't have to bust my ass for the cash just to plunder it on a double-dip. Laughing But yeah, amazing show.

And btw, just Sano is cool--Sanosuke_Inara could get pretty tiring to type repeatedly when you're addressing me.Surprised

DarkRoseFairy wrote:
I had to get a certain someone to buy me Part one, as a Christmas gift. I want to buy series that I like, but it's hard when you don't have a job. I haven't preorder part 2 or part 3 yet and I don't think I will; I be broke if I do that. Also even though I like DRRR, it not one of my top favorite(I really didn't like the second half), so I'm not in a rush to want it right now.
Ya know what? That's exactly what I've heard--everybody says that Durarara!! totally shits itself in the second half. I can't say anything on that since I've only seen 1 ep, but, hey--if it really does lose steam, then that's too bad. Confused
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I love both Baccono! and Durararara!! Though personally I think Baccono over all is a much better series. It has everything I love in a great anime. Sadly I dont own a player to play this on. I almost considered buying a Blu-Ray drive for my PC but it just isnt worth it and i have bills that I have to pay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
People may notice this thread is quite a bit smaller. I cleaned this thread up and removed over half the threads content as a result. The next time I have to do this I'm just deleting the thread outright because the garbage that went on in this thread was completely ridiculous and unacceptable. Those who were involved should know better than to act like that and I don't care if one person started it or not, if that's the case then you report it and move on, you don't respond and escalate matters, end of story. People are going to get banned if this happens again.

Now, back to you regularly scheduled program.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

It showed up in the second Durarara set in the extras, as well. They hadn't put a date on it yet but I was excited that it was going to happen.

I went ahead and preordered it myself, though unfortunately it's not the first time I have double-dipped for a Blu-ray edition. I'd prefer not to do it, but at the same time I like having high def versions of some of my favorite shows/movies. Basically it's all I can do at this point to keep from buying Full Metal Panic again on blu-ray, particularly the Second Raid.

(Also hoping that Aniplex might give us a Darker Than Black blu-ray box at some point)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:

(Also hoping that Aniplex might give us a Darker Than Black blu-ray box at some point)

I actually liked FUNI's release of that one (my copy didn't have any of the...defects or whatever they were talking about).

Which brings me to my next point...I'm kinda, sorta irked with what's going on with Baccano, sort of seems like Aniplex USA is nonchalantly scooping up Funi's already well established releases. I don't really mind, as long as the transfers are good and the price is right, but it just sort of seems like...Funi is getting a little bit shafted if this continues.

If FMA:Brotherhood was only a year behind, I'm fairly certain Aniplex USA would be distributing it instead.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I agree that it does not really help Funi at all. I would assume that there is nothing in the license contract that prevents Aniplex from doing this, but at the same time Funi probably didn't expect it to happen either. Maybe this is related to the fact that it is a supposedly limited run.

I'm happy with Funi's Darker than Black release, too, but it's just one of those shows that I feel would look awesome in HD. It doesn't look like it was ever released on Blu-ray in Japan so there may not be an HD source as it is. The point would be moot in that case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2