• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does violence make the anime better?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweet_lavender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Most anime such as FMA, Naruto, Elfen lied, Hellsing, Inuyasha and other anime related to these have violence. Some may be extremely graphic like Elfen Lied and Hellsing. But my question is if most people are satisfied with them. I'm guessing so, why? In my opinion, violence brings curiousity, action and more of a better image in the story. For example, FMA has too many action in it, just as guns, swords, blood etc. This also goes for the other violent anime. These animes makes people curious and wanting to watch more. However, what if these anime had no violence at all? What if they were aimed on more of romance, happiness and comedy rather than violence? Would people object these anime (because of no violence)even though the story is the same? Does violence put the story together? As for me, I say having SOME violence amkes the story and the image more better rather than having no violence. But I want to know if others think the same way as I do. If so, please add.

P.S. Sorry for my english grammer Embarassed
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I think it depends on the kind of violence. I actually got bored with the DBZ action stuff (prefer Dragonball); and S-cry-ed was just lame.

Now as for shows like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (both from the Quentin Tarantino of anime Shinichiro Wantanabe) the violence is not just brutal, it's also art. Same goes with Trigun, Heat Guy J and Ghost in the Shell.

Then you have anime where violence is just plain gory (i.e. Devilman)! This is the kind where it has to be your kind of taste (like I love that kind of $hit).

But this is one man's opinion (although I'd like to see your thoughts on what I had to say).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
No, story is what makes an anime good violence can not by itself make an anime interesting. However, some good violence, if it isn't just mindless but has a purpose or is creative in some way, can add to the fun of an already interesting plotline. Like frosting on a cake for an analogy. Something with a a terrible plotline can't be redeemed with ultra-violence take Ninja Resurrection for example.

There's also certain types of violence I'll tolerate in my anime and others I absolutely can't stand like the kind in the vast majority of hentai produced. Also an anime doesn't have to have violence for me to find it interesting. I watch comedies and romance anime now and then as well.

Violence is everywhere though, it's quite hard to find any modern media that doesn't have it because we humans find conflict and violence interesting. Contention is in our nature, too ingrained in our brains, it stems from our instinctive will to live, sense of self-preservation, or desire to mate and reproduce and we couldn't get rid of it if we tried. In fact getting rid of it would be hazardous to our well being. For a good example I use Gundam Wing. It's a big instance of how ideals like Total Pacifism, which Relena adhered to, are intermittently flawed. If you are peaceful and have no weapons other people will take advantage of this or others may be threatened by the thought of your ideal spreading and them losing their power. If everyone is the same and has no weaponry there will always be somebody who wants power or is fearful and makes weaponry. It’s a true paradox indeed if one ever existed.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Purpose is what matters, if the violence has a purpose in the story than by all means it makes it better. But if it's mindless or over the top and has no real purpose then it doesn't.

I know some people seem to like anime just because it's violent though. I can't recall the exact number of posts we've seen on this forum over the past month alone asking for suggestions of violent anime or praising violence in anime but it's definetely apparent there is a certain number of the fanbase that want nothing more than an animated bloodbath.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion. Violence is there to help bring out some of the story...But I only like a limited range of violence.A violent anime just in itself wouldn't do because I'd hate it for the lack of a storyline. A good mixture of a storyline and violence would be Akira, the violence help bring out the story about Japan and the gangs. And Tetsuyo fighting Kaneda and bring out what there friendship was really like. That's when violence is good but mindless fighting I cannot stand (DBZ is one that I concider mindless fighting).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
Simple Thematic Violence: A must for any story. By "violence", I don't necissarily mean acts of violence and I pretty much just mean any conflict, but if the story calls for something more intense than that, then it is required in that particular case. Stuff like this can't be editted.

Slapstick Violence: If it's funny, then go for it. If it isn't, it at least doesn't offend anybody. Pointless to be editted, but how bad the edits are depends on the case.

Intense Combat Violence: The portrayal of this can make or break a show. If it is done in an artistic manner that is both fun to look at and exciting at the same time, this can be one of the best parts of a show. If the level of pain and blood gets excessive, it isn't a bother if done artistically, but it doesn't matter if it gets editted. However, if there is little-to-no choreography and/or purpose, it falls under the next catagory.

Mindless, Pointless Violence: This is stuff done for no reason by talentless hacks who don't know anything about directing action and has no reason for existing other than to offend the audience. Maybe in the context of a really good anime, it's simply a flaw in something otherwise great. If in the context of a bad anime, or more importantly if this is the only reason the anime was made, this is offensive crap that doesn't deserve to be watched.
maozhuoya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
it depends. when I see some anime like samurai champloo or eva, I think it's essential. violence is not what they want to display but through which they can express their own outlooking. just like Stanly Kubric's full metal jacket, we can't imagine without violence how can the director express his hatred towards war and violence itself(in fact most of his movie are full of that)
Baal Zebul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
"Better" is not the word of choice that I would use, more like fitting. Could you imagine if SC had no bloodshed whatsoever and was like S-CRY-ED? I think it would be unusual for sure. Violenece does not add to the anime, it just makes it more realistic for the circumstances. Unless if the show has some kind of use for the violence(like making more realisctic like I said before) I do not care about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
then again there are people who just like violence...

i think my brother wanted to watch evangelion because of "mass murder by robots" (of course eva's aren't robots, but you don't know that by watching the first episode)
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
violence in anime can be essential.

would elfen lied have worked so well if Lucy wasn't so dangerous, would it have created the tension around the strained relationships in the series if we didn't worry about what would happen if Lucy lost it again? I for one was constantly worried that Lucy would lose it and someone would get killed(I would have guessed Yuka)

but in some series violence is not really that necessary, I saw gungrave and felt far more tension and thrill at watching them duel with words and make their plans. (also grave's outfit was a bit silly...) Than watching them shoot each other.

I really think that violence is only necessary if it truly adds to the story, while animated violence can make or break fighting shows it is far from necessary in other shows.
DeathScythe808

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The true beauty of violence in anime over live action films, is that it flows seamlessly into the show with out the need for special effects. Because the entire show is drawn, it makes things like missles spireling through the air or some one loseing an arm more believable. However, because it seems more real, it can be taken too far. Take Gantz for example. The show started out with a great story idea. The realistic inner monolougs were cool and the fact that not everyone made it back from every mission was also cool. But towards the end of the show, it seemed that they were killing people in more and more terrible ways just for the point of killing them.

So long as there is a reason for the violence to be there, it is good. If it surves no purpose other than shock value, then it is just stupid.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
You bet violence makes anime a lot better, but only when it fits the story. You can't exactly have violence is anime titles like Beck, Hikaru No Go or Fruits Basket. I personally like violent anime because that's the next logical step when it comes to animated entertainment. You have Action, Adventure, Comedy, Romance and other genres of anime. So yes, personally, violence does make anime better.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't really think violence makes a good anime. A show containing violence doesn't make me run to Best Buy, although I'm by no means a pacifist. It all depends the story, and how violence is used. It can be effectively used to put emphasis on a situation, such as with Gundam and stuff like R.O.D., in which the violence isn't being used to advertise the series. It's all fine until some of the anime fans I know start going for guns and boobs. That's just stupid. Violence used appropriately makes a show better, but that's not the essence of a well done anime. In Cowboy Bebop, it was blended with the animation very well, and Spike's battles with Vicious is among my favorite fight scenes.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
It depends on whether the story calls for it. Fullmetal Alchemist, for example, tends to really go into the themes of human nature, which can often become rather dark. The violence isn't gratuitous, but rather necessary at times because that's simply what happens when you have a war or whatever the case may be. It's not glorifying or drawing attention to the violence, it's simply there as a fact of it being a consequence of the characters' actions.

For something like Naruto, well, it's a story about ninja. Of course there's going to be fighting, people would probably be pretty disappointed if there weren't. The issue is simply whether it's too gratuitous or not. That is, whether or not it really makes sense given the story for there to be that violence there.

Obviously, in some series, violence simply doesn't belong. And in others, it's there just to try to entertain people with splatter. But just because a series happens to contain a fair amount of violence doesn't mean that the violence was thrown in there just because. It certainly wasn't in FMA, where there's always a very good reason why what happens happens. Or to use a non-anime example, the film Saving Private Ryan is extremely violent at points, however the violence there is simply a depiction of how things actually were, an effort more at realism than just trying to get ratings.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Baal Zebul wrote:
"Better" is not the word of choice that I would use, more like fitting. Could you imagine if SC had no bloodshed whatsoever and was like S-CRY-ED? I think it would be unusual for sure. Violenece does not add to the anime, it just makes it more realistic for the circumstances. Unless if the show has some kind of use for the violence(like making more realisctic like I said before) I do not care about it.

But you bring up an interesting question. Doesn't realism make a Japanese anime better? If violence=more realistic, and more realistic=better, shouldn't violence=better?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3