• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Voice acting wage.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdb728

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong forums, but I was wondering about something.
I've heard that it's a good idea for voice actors to also have another job, I was wondering about why this is. Is it because voice acting gives bad wages, or because it's based on how difficult the part is, or is it something as simple as it just be too unrealiable to consistently get selected to voice act in a show?

Also, I've been curious, about what are common wages for voice acting(mainly for the bigger companies that seem to always have something coming, like ADV, or even Bandai)?

Thanks very much. Cool
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
jdb728 wrote:
Is it because voice acting gives bad wages, or because it's based on how difficult the part is, or is it something as simple as it just be too unrealiable to consistently get selected to voice act in a show?

I don't know much about English (dub) voice actors, but I do know there are ~10,000 graduates from voice acting schools each year in Japan. You don't see 10,000 new anime characters each year, do you? Since most animation studios are in Tokyo vincinity, living cost is very high, and voicing a supporting character (or ever nameless ones) wouldn't support you to live in Tokyo (top seiyuu often have 4-5 leading or regular supporting characters per year, and they receive royalties from CDs and collectables), so most of them have another job, either legal or...legal but morally unacceptable. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Check Eriko Ishihara's entry at Wikipedia Japan, and you'll know what I'm talking about. I'll talk more only if more ANNers are interested in this subject. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jdb728

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch for the reply. I was mainly reffering to american voice actors(sorry, I guess I should've stated that).

Thanks very much for he insight though. Cool
afnj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I just listened to the voice actor comentary on Maburaho Vol. 4 and one of the voice actors said that she was still going to collage. So I would bet they don't make a killing other wise why sill go to school? but they all said that it's a very fun job, and I guess it's always nice to get paid for having fun no matter how little. Very Happy
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
There was an excellent Ask John article last month that provided some insights as to how much an American voice actor makes (although I have a feeling I might know who submitted the question based on the question's content). You can read it here. He provided a link to data from the Screen Actors' Guild so you should check those figures out whenever you get a chance.

Also, I'm going to provide a link to the website from AFTRA that could help you out:

http://www.aftra.org/contract/pcontracts.htm
TheAlmightyMe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
jdb728 wrote:
Is it because voice acting gives bad wages, or because it's based on how difficult the part is, or is it something as simple as it just be too unrealiable to consistently get selected to voice act in a show?

I don't know much about English (dub) voice actors, but I do know there are ~10,000 graduates from voice acting schools each year in Japan. You don't see 10,000 new anime characters each year, do you? Since most animation studios are in Tokyo vincinity, living cost is very high, and voicing a supporting character (or ever nameless ones) wouldn't support you to live in Tokyo (top seiyuu often have 4-5 leading or regular supporting characters per year, and they receive royalties from CDs and collectables), so most of them have another job, either legal or...legal but morally unacceptable. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Check Eriko Ishihara's entry at Wikipedia Japan, and you'll know what I'm talking about. I'll talk more only if more ANNers are interested in this subject. Wink

Perhaps you copuld elaborate more as not all of us here are Japanese literate. However, regarding US Voice Actors; the pay is now that high. Per Salary.com, as well and associates that do voice over work, you NEED a second job to survive. Most tend to VA as a paying hobby rather than a full time career as they only make a few hundred dollars for each job.

Those at ADV and Bandai may make a bit more, as long as they are in demand, like Crispin Freeman, and Monica Rial. However, many do not make much at all.
pythos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
TheAlmightyMe wrote:
Perhaps you copuld elaborate more as not all of us here are Japanese literate.

She also works in the AV industry.
TheAlmightyMe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
pythos wrote:
TheAlmightyMe wrote:

And the issue with that would be...?
RedComet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

What do you mean Japanese literate? What dormcat said is easily understood.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
RedComet wrote:

What do you mean Japanese literate? What dormcat said is easily understood.

I think this person simply wanted more backstory info about Japanese VA's from dormcat.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quote
Well, as pythos said,
pythos wrote:

A year ago (Nov 11, 2004), she was found having performed in an adult video and was fired by her agency 81produce. She was way too careless: although she used a stage name (Hikaru Usada, うさだ ひかる) in adult videos, she left her real date of birth, hometown, and bloodtype info in her profile page of the AV company, plus her picture AND a note advertising her as "current seiyuu." It didn't take long for 81produce to track it down.

Many second tier seiyuu can earn only ~3M Yen a year with voice acting. Although it is acceptable in a distant small town, remember most of them live in Tokyo. Just think about living with ~US$25K a year in downtown Manhattan.

However, she's not the first (nor would be the last) seiyuu with such "another job": Ryoka Yuzuki, once known as Kanori Kadomatsu (角松 かのり), has been a nude model and performed in several R-rated films (has suggested but no actual sexual scenes). Chiemi Chiba was also a nude model.

While all three were recruited by 81produce, the problem with Eriko Ishihara was doing AV and voice acting at the same time, while the other two's were distant pasts.

Wikipedia Japan wrote:
同じ81所属声優の柚木涼香 (旧芸名:角松かのり) や千葉千恵巳も昔はヌードをやっていたが、あくまでもそれは過去の話であり、石原の場合は所属事務所に無断で平行して行っていたことが問題であったという見解である。
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote
afnj wrote:
I just listened to the voice actor comentary on Maburaho Vol. 4 and one of the voice actors said that she was still going to collage. So I would bet they don't make a killing other wise why sill go to school? but they all said that it's a very fun job, and I guess it's always nice to get paid for having fun no matter how little. Very Happy

About the college part....I would say there are people that go to college because they want to go and learn more...and if he or she (I'm not quite sure what gender from your post) is still going to school and not making alot from voice acting then wouldn't you think a better paying job (if voice acting doesn't pay much) would be better suited, college isn't cheap. So, did this commentary say anything else like outside help with college, still living with parents?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Well, as pythos said,
pythos wrote:
although she used a stage name (Hikaru Usada, うさだ ひかる) in adult videos,

You know, I don't think I can look at a certain character from DiGiCharat in quite the same way again after this. Surprised
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
You know, I don't think I can look at a certain character from DiGiCharat in quite the same way again after this. Surprised

Laughing I wonder why she chose that name -- could be on purpose. Good thing that neither Broccoli nor Kyoko Hikami had sued her.

Even without her using the name, there are and always have been H-doujin of Rabi~En~Rose anyway. Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1