• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gantz or Gungrave(or anythying else you recommend)?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I have just finished watching Elfen Lied and that was great!

I am now looking for another series that has a serious mood to it, nudity etc is not essential nor is violence but good character development, hopefully a serious romantic relationship.

but above all a well thought out and executed story.

so any suggestions?

(gantz and Gingrave are up there because I have heard they are good as well as serious enough to warrant them)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you want something serious that's a little more on the romantic side, (although both very sad) I reccomend Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien or Saikano. If you want something more on the action side then, ya, Gantz or Gungrave probably.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
you know I just looked through the review of saikano, and it looks decent, thanks for the tip!

I'll admit though, I have read other people praising it and I've always wondered why...it was always that series with the 'journey to the west' idea...at least so I thought...that story was saiyuki not saikano!

I've always gotten that mixed up...
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
GunGrave is in my opinion one of best anime ever made. There are quite some GunGrave haters out there and I dunno why but many people love it ..that includes me Very Happy. Gantz is also fantastic. Its extremely gory and has nudity hehe. Pick up both titles .. and enjoy brotha!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
MasterFuu wrote:
GunGrave is in my opinion one of best anime ever made. There are quite some GunGrave haters out there and I dunno why but many people love it ..that includes me Very Happy.

Well I finally had a chance to see past the first DVD, which took me nearly a year to do, but it was well worth the wait so far.

I bought up to Vol. 6 for my b-day back in August and really like how this series has developed through the Millenion flashback up to the present. However, all of that present-time stuff is beginning to irk me with how:

spoiler[ Just about any secondary character that existed in Brandon's past is now getting killed. And, that Mika girl is very annoying with her constant crying and whining of how people shouldn't do this and that, or how unfair it is that people keep dying.

I'm watching it Japanese soley for the DTS audio, and while I like a majority of the seiyuu, Mika's is particuarly grating. Part of it is because of her character and personality, and the other part is because her crying and whining just sounds so unrefined. It's almost as annoying as the 4 and 5 year-olds I hear at work.]

In any case, I still feel the series should get an Excellent rating up to around episode 16 or 17 for the great mafia drama. I actually just ordered the final volume, and will wait to see how the series ends before offering a final opinion.

But based on what I've seen, I'd recommend it anyway. It has good animation, an AWESOME soundtrack, a gripping cast of characters, a mafia theme not seen in a lot of anime, and a decent English dub in Dolby Digital 5.1, though it doesn't sound as good as the Japanese DTS track Anime hyper.
FeyMeggan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote
I would have to say Gungrave definately. I only recently finished watching it and I really enjoyed it, so it was surprising to find out that...as far as I can tell...it was based off the game and not vice versa (if I'm wrong I appologize and shall go hide in the corner Embarassed ).

What I liked:
1) Character consistancy. Theres nothing worse than a series were you wonder why 'Joe' who was a passifist, would suddenly anihilate a whole city. Or why the bad guy in the end just smiled and let the hero wander off. Gungrave sticks by their profiles...even if they are annoying or scarey or just plain wroooooong.

2) Plot twists you don't see coming. Lets face it, there's only so many plots out there, and after a while you can see it coming. Yeah yeah, hero'll defeat the villian and get the girl. This definately keeps you on your toes and gives you a fun party game to see which of your friends'll figure out the next big twist.

3) Good secondary characters. While we expect the hero and the villian, and to some extent the d.i.d(damsel in distress), to have personality what about 'minion number 4'? In GG(I'm lazy) nearly everyone who gets a speaking role seems to be very unique and pivotal...even if they may not seem so at the time. Yeah there's still the mindless horde to get shot up, but even they serve their purpose of being cannon-fodder.

4) Over all re-watchability. Yeah, you've seen it once, so what! Pop that sucker back in, listen to the great soundtrack(even if my roommate amethyst hates it by now) and watch it all over again.

and a host of other good reasons, but I figured I've rambled on enough. The only drawback I saw was that the 'flashback' takes more than half the episodes...but once you forget about episode one you don't really care any more. Enjoy! (and congratulations for reading this far!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
Fey is on the money...

I'll just add in the fact that the show uses a lot of symbolic imagery and characterization too

ANYWAY, as for GANTZ... uhh... *since no one really says anything*

I'm kinda wondering how people are "shocked" by this show... the way everything is tossed together just feels extremely laughable for some reason

Errr... yes, I know that the story deals with the fact that the world is a cynnical place and doesn't seem to want to inconvenience itself to help other people or something like that... what I'm saying is that the way it's all done doesn't feel serious at all

... there's like... ZERO tension when someone is about to get hacked up

*which ELFEN LIED actually has a lot of if you ask me... man that show is awesome, I got the 4th disc today and watched the hell out of it Very Happy *

... animation is just god-awful too Confused

But to be honest, GANTZ is somewhat interesting, but I'm not really dying to see the rest of it, since it just come off shallow and funny *which is totally not the desired effect*

anyway, between THAT and GUNGRAVE, it definately has to be GUNGRAVE...

It has one of the most emotionally gripping endings ever created to boot

oh yeah, and GUNGRAVE is based off an incredibly lame PS2 game...

I was surprised too
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
*which ELFEN LIED actually has a lot of if you ask me... man that show is awesome, I got the 4th disc today and watched the hell out of it Very Happy *

The forth Elfen Lied disk is already out!? <Looks in Encyclopedia> ... It's not out until the 15th. Curses, my Best buy never puts stuff out early on the shelves and the Fry's that I go to that does put stuff out early won't let me buy it even though they put it out. Where did you get yours?
Saouri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
Both, Gantz and GunGrave are very good shows. With Gantz sometimes i think is overdose .
About GunGrave, i love that anime, is very "human" and "real", exceptt for the orcmens and the NecroRise, but you can see how people change inside the Mafia. The way that Brandon and Harry becomes in an important part in The Family of Big Daddy, and how the ambition and feelings makes you change into another person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Where did you get yours?

This local anime shop I go to packed the thing in early...

which was a surprise considering that they usually get stuff late...

man, I'm so lucky! Razz *there was only one copy too*

Anyway, just look around, you might just come across it
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:59 am Reply with quote
The violence in Gungrave seems to serve the story and characters. Gungrave is very heavily character driven and the "shocking" moments have a strong emotional impact on the characters. Like Berserk, the first episode takes place some time after the second episode. So in a sense I wouldn't say any of the events are as shocking as they are in Elfen Lied. The plot fits together nicely and like Elfen Lied it is told at a wonderful pace.
I gave up on Gantz since it felt as though the plot and characters were developed to deliver gratuitious amounts of violence. I'm not sure if this changes in later episodes, but the execution of the first several episodes felt like a video game.
I will recommend Gungrave since the original post mentions "well thought out" series even if the romance is far less stated compared to Elfen Lied. Berserk might be the only series which also comes to mind at the time since it too is a mature series that is well thought out.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
Gungrave is a finished story, giving it the edge. Gantz attempts to give itself an ending but fails miserably, probably because it branched off from the manga. Stick with Gungrave, but see Gantz if you can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quicksilverus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
If you're gonna check out Gantz, do yourself a favor and read the manga. The story does not finish itself in the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1