• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OT: Japanese ruling party wants Japan to have military.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
What this could mean for the future of military-themed anime, and to what extent this stems from a fondness for military-themed stories, one can only speculate.

[Please use direct URLs]/b3z89" target="_blank" class="postlink -wrap" rel="nofollow ugc">http://">[Please use direct URLs]/b3z89
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling we'll be seeing more anime in the same vein as that recent anti-Korean manga. The Chinese and Koreans will be portrayed as negatively as the Japanese were in those WW2 Popeye cartoons, and we'll get another Nanking, due to an accusation made by Koizumi against the two countries which will have as much basis in reality as the lies about WMDs made by Bush. But Koizumi helped the economy, just like Hitler helped Germany's economy, so they're gonna keep voting him in office until he starts annexing some islands and gets the country nuked again in the process.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Koizumi is going to stepdown next year by the way, but then again he just said that last month and might change his mind.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Good for them. They need to have an army. I've thought that the way to work on the NK shituation was to dangle Japanese re-armament over their heads.....

I'd be about as worried about an armed Japan as I am an armed Great Britain.
Number Six

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Good for them. They need to have an army. I've thought that the way to work on the NK shituation was to dangle Japanese re-armament over their heads.....

I'd be about as worried about an armed Japan as I am an armed Great Britain.

I agree. In fact, I'd say given their current military build-up, China would be more likely to attack Japan than the other way around.

Besides, Japan is a sovereign nation. If they decide they want a regular army, thats their choice. Japan and asia (and the world) are much different places than they were in the 1930's. As bad as they were, the Imperial Japanese military and everything they did are where they belong. In the history books.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:

I agree. In fact, I'd say given their current military build-up, China would be more likely to attack Japan than the other way around.
It could work the other way. It could give a reason for China to attack Japan becasue they can see as US/Japan war on China. Not to metion all that stuff Japan did China. There's a ton of people over there that got a bone to pick with Japan, all they need a reason. It's been awhile since I check, but I don't think Japan can have an army for a few more years, just enough to proctect themselfs. For what I read and saw on History Channel, they have very good Navy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:
As bad as they were, the Imperial Japanese military and everything they did are where they belong. In the history books.

...which don't mention them.
Number Six

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Number Six wrote:
As bad as they were, the Imperial Japanese military and everything they did are where they belong. In the history books.

...which don't mention them.

In Japan maybe, but they certainly do in the rest of the world.

Anyway, does anybody really believe that if Japan gets a "real" army, they will suddenly revert to Imperial Japan of the 1930's and start attacking everyone left and right? As I said above, the world situation has changed.

Actually, Japan already has a real army. Its just called a "Self Defense Force". The Japanese constitution forbids an army, but this was intrepreted to mean that a Self Defense Force was OK. All the present government wants to do is amend the constitution to allow (formally) a Japanese army. The article noted that most Japanese are in favor of this change while also wanting to retain that part of the constitution which says Japan is a pacifist nation.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:44 am Reply with quote
Number Six:
Quote:

Anyway, does anybody really believe that if Japan gets a "real" army, they will suddenly revert to Imperial Japan of the 1930's and start attacking everyone left and right? As I said above, the world situation has changed.

Let's see. The Japanese economy is still floundering, the country is still in dispute with Russia, China and Korea over various terrirtories, and the neo-nationalists have been visiting the graves of war criminals. Nope. No signs of imperialism there....
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
Still, uh...this seems to be little more than a name change. I mean, the Self-Defense Force has been acting less and less in self-defense in recent years (Iraq, anyone?) and it seems to me that they're just changing the wording to reflect that.

However, Koizume's dishonest statement that Japan still won't engage in war, just "police actions," does bother me quite a bit. Hey, we're still pacifists, we just engage in state-funded terrorism like Reagan did in Latin America! The perfect goal, after all, for any peaceful, freedom-loving First World country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Number Six:
Quote:

Let's see. The Japanese economy is still floundering, the country is still in dispute with Russia, China and Korea over various terrirtories, and the neo-nationalists have been visiting the graves of war criminals. Nope. No signs of imperialism there....

Didn't realise visiting graves made you an imperialist...
I can just picture this " Sorry grandpa, you commited a war crime back then and while I'm a neo-nationalist I can't be seen looking at your grave or I'll be labeled imperialist."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
I can just picture this " Sorry grandpa, you commited a war crime back then and while I'm a neo-nationalist I can't be seen looking at your grave or I'll be labeled imperialist."

Heh. Neo-nationalists rarely visit graves of war criminals only because they were their family members. Especially when they visit in groups with banners and all. And in Japan a neo-nationalist is an imperialist almost by necessity. (And anyway, it's not like being a neo-nationalist is any better than being an imperialist.)

Anyway, I understand Japan's need for an army - I can imagine why they feel uneasy without a real army, especially in the current political climate.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:

Actually, Japan already has a real army. Its just called a "Self Defense Force". The Japanese constitution forbids an army, but this was intrepreted to mean that a Self Defense Force was OK. All the present government wants to do is amend the constitution to allow (formally) a Japanese army. The article noted that most Japanese are in favor of this change while also wanting to retain that part of the constitution which says Japan is a pacifist nation.

One thing--note that the provisions of the constitution forbidding Japan to have an army and declaring it a pacifist nation were imposed by the US as part of Japan's surrender in 1945.
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Also keep in mind that the Liberal Democratic Party is the political descendants of the Charming people who brought you WW2. They even had a Prime Minister (Kishi) who was part of Unit 713, the did experiments involveing Germ warfare on live human beings.

Wile don't see Japan invading anyone, I do see a nation where freedom of speech is technically honored, you just better not count on having a job. Also, if your a women it really sucks (they less talked about but they also want revise that part of the constitution).

All the Best,

Nani?
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote
Does this have anything to do with the recent news of 6-7 thousand Marines being transferred to Okinawa to Guam? Anyway, if so, then maybe they are starting their own official military. I know at the moment Japan supposbly only spends 1% of their budget on defense. After all, America is practically mostly Japan's defense thanks to the 1952 Security treaty.

My friend was a Mormon missionary in the Hokkaido area a few years ago and used to witness training sessions with U.S. Forces and SDF forces in the cast of a North Korea invasion which I thought was pretty interesting. They just assume that area of Japan will be the first to get attacked if invaded by the North Koreans.

Other issues I know about are Takeshima (forgot what the Koreans called it). I heard that North Korea is willing to side with South Korea on that particular territory if it becomes a major conflict.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4