• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good shows by Yoshiaki Kawajiri

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
i just watched Vampire Hunter D and loved it, i have also seen Ninja Scroll both TV and movie versions, and loved them as well. I think my loving these movies/shows has to do with Mr. Kawajiri's phenominal work, and i was wondering if anyone would recomend any of his other productions to me, or recomend any shows in general that are simalar to Ninja Scroll, and Vampire Hunter D.

Thanks, GP
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
You might want to check out Buichi Terasawa, the guy who did Space Cobra and Kabuto. I think you will like him if you like Vampire Hunter D and Kawajiri. Also browse through shows made by Madhouse. They would be the studio for you.
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:12 am Reply with quote
The creator of the Vampire Hunter D novels was by Hideuki Kikuchi.So, he created the original storyline for VampireHunter D. He has also created Demon City Shinjuku, A wind Named Amnesia, and Darkside Blues storys.

Darkside blues and Demon City Shinjuku are the two I recommend.(Not novels bt the actual anime) Because both have an erie sense to them the same feeling Vampire Hunter D gives off, I believe. Darkside Blues has crappy music in it and can be ennoying, that's a big warning for you. I suggest you look up te reviews, ratings, and details here on this site using hte encclopedia available.

Also, another good movie would be Twilight of the Dark Master it's alot like Demon City Shinjuku. I also belive the voice who played as D on Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust does the voice of one of the main character in this film. This film was brought out from Urban Vision as well from the VampireHunter D series too. Like Demon city shinjuku this film has to deal with demons wanting to destroy or take over the human race and there of course is people who disagree with this and want to stop them.You should check this title out as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
Also, I forgot to mention the animes I placed in my last reply are all movies and is not a series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Kawajiri's other great works, as of recent, have been the X tv series (which is phenomeonal) and the Animatrix short Program, certainly worth watching if you're a fan of this great director.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Here are all the anime titles that are credited under his name.

I believe I posted this once already. But in my haste, I had foregone any actual comments (which led to its deletion, I guess), so I'll do it right now.

As Craeyst suggested, I'll have to second X (TV). It's a great supernatural drama with a very epic feel to it.

On top of the intersting storyline of an impending Apocolypse, the animation is some of the smoothest I've ever seen in a TV series. The characters are well written, making all of them (even the "villains") very easy to empathize for. And the music, while repetitive in its main melody, always sends chills up my spine because of how perfectly they seem to time it for each scene.

The dubbing is also very good, in my opinion, as I feel all of the roles were casted to a high degree of excellence in terms of both acting and overall sound.

However, while the Encyclopedia entry does list this title as shoujo, don't let that throw you off. Regardless of the heavy melodrama within this series, I still think you'll be able to enjoy it, as all of that drama fits extremely well with the story and characters.

There is also a movie, though it was made before the series, and I've heard a majority of bad reviews. I haven't seen it myself yet, but I thought I'd warn you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1