• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy: I'm a bit lost on this whole thing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
With Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children scheduled to be released sometime, I realize I'm a bit lost on the world of FF. I'd like to know a bit more about the setting and the plot that preceded Advent Children. There's something called Last Order Final Fantasy VII (OAV), and that doesn't seem to be released - yet. I was hoping to see it for some prior knowledge, but that's not happening. I'm just really lost on the world in which Cloud and company live, and I have a feeling the plot isn't going to be the strongest with Advent Children. Actually, I'll probably ignore the plot first time 'round and focus on the visuals. -_-; I'm looking for some sort of a history, and feel free to give me a link somewhere. I looked off Advent Children.net, but I was hoping some of you could offer a bit more of exactly what I'm looking for. I've read this, but I dunno what that is. It seems to be something translated of the Japanese page, and I'm wondering, where does this translated story come from? Is it a summary in story format from previous anime or video games? Or is this something made up by Square Enix just so AC didn't fall out of nowhere? I'm looking for what happened before AC, and so far from reading what the link contains, I've concluded that in the world, there is the wealthy upper half living above ground and the lower half located on the ground in poverty, something about Denzel and Reeve andsound a bit like a s-CRY-ed setting. (Mainland vs. Lost Ground) In the Gamer's Monthly magazine, they were saying something about "survivors" and two years after blahblahblah, and that doesn't help at all.
I've never played the video games or even payed attention to the title until now, so we're going to have to start from square one. I am so lost that I didn't even know how to begin asking, so this topic took way long to construct. Help, please! And thanks very much in advance.

Last edited by .Sy on Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedComet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The Last Order came with the Japanese SE of Advent Children. I guess you could say it's a recap of other things already covered in 25 minutes.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well how should I put this as when I saw Advent Children (BTW I've only ever played up to one boss in the game) I had me best buddy to explain things about it. This'll probably contain alot of ExclamationSPOILERSExclamation so this is Exclamation WARNING! Exclamation Anyways it is sorta like the rich on top and the poor on the bottom. The rich being Shinra Corp and the poor being everyone else. The survivors part is about spoiler[how the people barely survived from a meteor that was going to crash onto the planet]. Advent Children takes place spoiler[2 years after the whole meteor thing]. Anyways here are some connections between some characters:

spoiler[Cloud - Tifa = Childhood friends from the town of Nibelheim
Cloud - Zack = Zack is one of two rolemodels Cloud had.
Cloud - Sephiroth = Cloud once looked up to him until Sephiroth went mad.
Zack - Sephiroth - Cloud - Tifa = Zack, Cloud, and Sephiroth are sent on an investigation to Nibelheim and Tifa is their guide.
Sephiroth - Tifa = Sephiroth went on a rampage in Nibelheim killing almost everyone including Tifa's father.
Sephiroth - Zack = Both SOLDIERS. Basically they are super soldiers.
Sephiroth - Genova = Sephiroth was born of Genova's cells. when Sephiroth discovers the truth about his origin he goes crazy!]

Thats just some of the character relations that were fully explained to me.

Anyways Advent Children isn't a summary of the game, it continues the story of the game into the film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
If you haven't played the game, a lot of the things wont' make sense to you. One of my buddy seen it and he didn't get what was going on and why or how the character were related to each other. So if you haven't played the game, I wouldn't recommended watchig AC until you do, or you can but you probably won't enjoy it as much a people who did. There's a lot of hype surrounding FFAC and that's because a lot of fans adore this series (more than any other final fantasy) and the characters.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't really understand why FF7 is so beloved. It is a landmark in video game/rpg history in that it was the first game to use FMV's to tell the story, and it was the first fully 3D RPG, but other than that, there really wasn't that much great about it. Especially when you compare it to games of today. The graphics are way better, the battle system has been improved upon, there is voice acting now in at least the FF games, and in FF7, there were dozens of mistranslations. Engrish applenty in the dialogue. From a technical view point, FF7 can't really be said to be so superior.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
I don't really understand why FF7 is so beloved. It is a landmark in video game/rpg history in that it was the first game to use FMV's to tell the story, and it was the first fully 3D RPG, but other than that, there really wasn't that much great about it. Especially when you compare it to games of today. The graphics are way better, the battle system has been improved upon, there is voice acting now in at least the FF games, and in FF7, there were dozens of mistranslations. Engrish applenty in the dialogue. From a technical view point, FF7 can't really be said to be so superior.

Better Graphic does not = better gameplay. Chrono Trigger is another RPG that is beloved by oldschool rpg-ers. I have fonder memories playing older SNES rpg than PS2 ones, it's all about gameplay and how it warp you into the story. Of course by now it feel outdated, but people still have fond memories of it. And a lot of the new rpg felt stale now a days.

That's like saying why is Metal Gear Solid or Castlevania SOTN is so beloved when there are updated version with better graphic.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Especially when you compare it to games of today. The graphics are way better, the battle system has been improved upon, there is voice acting now in at least the FF games, and in FF7, there were dozens of mistranslations. Engrish applenty in the dialogue. From a technical view point, FF7 can't really be said to be so superior.

Of course VII isn't the technical superiority of Final Fantasy games anymore... that ceased to be when VIII was released.

You hit the nail on the head earlier:

outlawwolf wrote:
It is a landmark in video game/rpg history

Even if it's not the best game in the series (as I don't think it is, VI is still the best), never underestimate the power of nostalgia, stubborness, and firsts to cloud judgment against actual quality.

You can argue the quality, but you can't argue the impact.

--

Furthermore, people are actually watching Advent Children with no understanding of the game?? Of course...there were people who played X-2 without ever playing X...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised...
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
You need a reason why FF7 is so beloved? Here's a great FF7 article by the folks at EGM.

Also there is a possiblity of a ff7 remake, according to this article
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
FFVII is a classic. The battle system has been EMBELLISHED upon since, but in my opinion it hasn't been improved upon (some agree with me on that, some don't). The FFVII system of materia, was just really classy I thought, and the later additions of "ability trees" and whatnot just seem to complicated and squirlely, like they feel some obsessive need to make each game totally different than the last. Cloud was also the last male lead in an FF game, all the following leads were buff lesbians like Leon and Tidus.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
All the eye candy in the world cannot make up for the lack of a story line - and that is why FFVII is still a popular game. It has a good story line where as some of the games that come out now-a-days use the story as a way of showing off the eye candy.
Luminescence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
I don't mean to stick my nose into anyone's business, but aren't we getting slightly off-topic here? The topic creator asked about FF7's story, not about how it compares to other Final Fantasy games.

And speaking of the original question, the Last Order OVA that was released deals with the events...Possible Spoilers

...that occur in FF7 as background to the main story--i.e. The origins of Cloud, Zach and Sephiroth, as well as what Sephiroth is after and the explanation behind his encounter with Tifa and company at the Mako Reactor in the mountains near the town where Tifa and Cloud grew up together...or something of that sort. Sephiroth aims to reunite with his "mother" Jenova; Cloud and Zach try to stop him after he torches the town; and afterwards all hell breaks loose, essentially Smile These scenes actually get enacted as background flashbacks in the actual game, but the details are more cryptic in the game than they are in this OVA. I'm not exactly an expert on the particulars of FF7's story, but I think that's the gist of it. The OVA actually helped me to understand the overall plot of FF7 a bit more after watching it. And Advent Children makes a lot more sense once you have this basic background down.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
RedComet wrote:
The Last Order came with the Japanese SE of Advent Children. I guess you could say it's a recap of other things already covered in 25 minutes.
Well gee, I'd love it if the domestic version also came in a Special Edition (I said special, not Crazy Fanatic Otaku) with the 25 minutes of a recap. I'm hearing all sorts of things from people about this person died and then came back to life and then this person did this and...! Another thing - I heard somewhere else that this was a sequel to something that came out years ago. What exactly is this the sequel to? The encyc. say this:
Quote:
Comment:
Sequel to Final Fantasy VII, the best selling title of the hit series
So it's the sequel to the game?

BTW: I know this makes me sound like I haven't been paying attention to all of your posts, but who is Tifa? And I was looking through some old Advent Children threads and came across something about "Aeris" dying. Question Er...physical descriptions are fine.

One more question: How likely do you think the chances of the Last ORder OVA release are for North America? In this article, nothing was stated about it, and I'm assuming a $30 list price won't cover that.
DarkSamurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
if you want to know happend before, wait until before crisis final fantasy 7 comes out. its only on the moble phone's. ( TBA whic version will work on) currently there are 16 episode in japan possibly more. they tell you story behind each character. Reno, Rudge, Zack, cloud, sepiroth etc.. Then final fantasy 7 will help you too, then the movie. which will explain and help you alot better. Hopefully this is a help to you.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I got a few of the characters straight after reading the Wiki article, but so far, I've been helped out a lot by all of you posters on the plot. I've never had a gaming console other than a computer all my life, so if I could, Final Fantasy seems like a game to start off with. It would also be interesting to see how Aeris dies. I obviously don't play video games, but I have another question that I forgot to ask:
What is this? From the Wiki article, it seems it had a big budget but missed big time. Strangely enough, this film has gone completely unnoticed by my friends and I.
Well anyway, I'll just get Advent Children and wait for the other prequel to come out sometime within the next two years.

Last edited by .Sy on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2