• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Splicing the two Fullmetal Alchemist shows?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utawoutau

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
So the original Full Metal Alchemist series starts off great but ends in a painfully bad geko ending, while Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood starts off incredibly choppy but (from what I hear) ends really great.

I am interested in showing FMA to a friend of mine, what I want to do is start with the original series and then transition to Brotherhood for the remaining episodes.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to when (what episode) I should switch from original FMA to Brotherhood?
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
Oh my God, this was totally my idea!! I posted this in a different forum but received very few replies.

But seriously, I really thought I was the only one who thought of watching 1/2 of the first series and then transition.

From what I have seen, the series start to diverge significantly when the brothers decide to head to Laboratory 5 which kind of blows because that incident is better in the first series.

Ideally, I would like to switch to Brotherhood right after Lab 5 of the 2003 series.

Hopefully someone here can provide a clear answer.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
If you really want to shuffle it, you'll get the best of all worlds with this order:

FMA 1
FMA 2
FMA 4 is completely optional filler at this point
FMA 5
FMA:B 4
FMA:B 5
FMA 8 is completely optional filler at this point
FMA:B 6
FMA:B 7
FMA:B 8
FMA 9 (which technically should come after ep 2, but it contains spoilers at the beginning if watched that early)
FMA 10-13 is completely optional filler
FMA: B 7-11
FMA: B 2
FMA: B12 - 64

Ok, that should be the correct order, and while there would be minimal overlapping material, and a few small beats missing, you get the best bits of both this way, and you get most of the bits from the manga that were cut in the Brotherhood anime (sadly they're still missing the awesome Ling vs. Envy fight in the middle that was never animated in either version).
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Or how about just give your friend both to make up ones own mind?
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
@ Ohoni

I don't think that is best because you are leaving out a lot of the best moments from the first series because there are some key moments such as the Nina Tucker incident that are much better in FMA. How about this:

FMA 1-25 (Skip 4, 10, 11, 12,)

FMA Brotherhood: 10-64

Would there be major contradictions watching it that way? I think that's better because you get to see the first series' version of some of the more emotional moments. There is some character developing filler in there admittedly though.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Why not just not watch it at all? Think about all the time you'll save...
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I don't think that is best because you are leaving out a lot of the best moments from the first series because there are some key moments such as the Nina Tucker incident that are much better in FMA.

No, the Brotherhood version was better and more accurate to the actual storyline. Most of the FMA material from 10 on is inconsistent with the Brotherhood storyline.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I high advice people just stick with the first FMA anime. To me the original FMA anime starts off ok but not amazing and once it starts writing it's own story line it becomes amazing. Where as I have found nothing of interest in the Brotherhood story, it's just really generic and doesn't seem to do much with meaningful character development. People always say "but brotherhood is closer to the actually manga story line", that's fine and all but that doesn't mean anything to me I didn't like the manga either. If you really don't like huge chunks of the story then you might as well just skip on the series all together, or just watch them both in their entirety.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Considering the huge difference in story, tone, beliefs of the people involved and strength of writing than I would advise you to just watch both separately. If you watch the first 2/3rds of the first anime series than pick up with episode 14 than you would be confused by all the different plotlines that changed. In particular the main villain is different between the two series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
So the original Full Metal Alchemist series starts off great but ends in a painfully bad geko ending

It was an incredibly good ending.

Also, this is an incredibly bad idea. The two shows are too different to be combined. It gives me a headache just thinking that somebody would try to this.

Just watch both shows. They're both equally brilliant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

I don't think that is best because you are leaving out a lot of the best moments from the first series because there are some key moments such as the Nina Tucker incident that are much better in FMA.

No, the Brotherhood version was better and more accurate to the actual storyline. Most of the FMA material from 10 on is inconsistent with the Brotherhood storyline.

More accurate to the actual storyline? The first FMA had its own storyline, which means it was damn accurate to its own storyline. Brotherhood wasn't better, at least not how you people claim.
First FMA = emotional - you're there for the characters, not story.
FMA Brotherhood = mechanical - you're there for the story, not characters.
Given the quality of Brotherhood, some would argue otherwise, but then again, first FMA's story/plot isn't subpar to Brotherhood's character development/drama.

Also, anime fans who don't read manga could care less about the manga's storyline as long as the anime has a good one, and FMA did.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I high advice people just stick with the first FMA anime. To me the original FMA anime starts off ok but not amazing and once it starts writing it's own story line it becomes amazing. .

Most people would say the complete opposite. The first FMA started out great. It improved many aspects of the manga and added much more emotional depth to the characters, but once it strayed off completely it began getting a little melodramatic. Don't get me wrong, it was really emotional and all, but it was full of plot holes and it stopped making sense.

I will stand by what I said in a different thread. The original series pre-manga split is probably superior to anything else.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
penquintruth wrote:
It was an incredibly good ending.

Exactly what part of that ending could be considered good?
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Honestly, try comparing episode 4 of Brotherhood to episode 7 of the first series. Or episode 3 of Brotherhood to 1+2 of the first series. You can't seriously tell me the Brotherhood version is better?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Honestly, try comparing episode 4 of Brotherhood to episode 7 of the first series. Or episode 3 of Brotherhood to 1+2 of the first series. You can't seriously tell me the Brotherhood version is better?

its not fair to compare the earlier episodes just because brotherhood was purposely skimming through the stuff covered in the first series in order to get to the new stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4