• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hair Salon for Otaku Opens in Akihabara

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
No one mock this. I'd love a service like this in the States right before an anime convention. Getting the wigs on many anime characters just right is a pain in the butt, and I'd rather give my spouse a break on that. Then again, the cosplay purists might cry foul, but I don't compete, so. *shrugs*
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Sweet so more girls will have twintails now or more colored hair
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Those are some expensive haircuts... I'd love one where I am, but I would not pay that much just to have anime like hair.
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Neat idea!

Getting your hair done can be pretty expensive, but the wig cutting is something I'd like to see in salons more often.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow...as much as I do love my anime and manga, I don't think I could ever want my hair to ever look like any of the characters (although I've been told I would have Yuuki Cross' style if I grew out my bangs...dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing though).

Wig styling, however, I'd love to see more of, whether as a stand-alone salon somewhere or as a growing part of established salons. Not everyone can style their wigs (including myself), and having something like that would really help out.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
As someone who cuts and styles her own wigs for cosplay - this is awesome. As to the real hair treatments - it's be worth it to me IF, and only if they have a master colorist for dying hair. Any girl who gets her hair dyed by a professional can tell you that there's a lot of skills and chemical know-how for the colorist to get just the right shade, and to get funky colors? I'd pay good money for a non-natural color stylist.

I do not see any mention of an actual colorist on their site which makes me wonder if real funky color hair coloring is not popular in Japan (I'm guessing schools and work frown upon it more there) or if they just haven't gotten to it yet.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
I like how they do wigs too for the people who just aren't good at it (like me).
Why risk cutting it yourself if you can have it done by a professional lol
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
I was thinking more along the lines of standard anime haircuts but good ole Japan has yet once again proven that standard usually isn't the first choice. Unique is and for better or worse, that isn't something you can say about anything these days.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Those are some expensive haircuts... I'd love one where I am, but I would not pay that much just to have anime like hair.

standard in Japan-- I never found a salon in Japan that would cut my hair for under $50 (other than the ones in subway stations that promise to have your hair done before your train arrives but... I'm not sure I would trust a 10-minute haircut...) for just a standard cut, and believe me, I looked. I had my hair digi-permed in a not-very-fancy salon and, along with a cut, it cost nearly $200.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote
The one next door to me does haircuts for 1575 Yen... I guess it just depends on where you look. I've always been pleased with the haircuts they give.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I want someone to have the hairdo of one Houjou Hibiki from Suite Precure♪....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1