• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Gunslinger Girl Go Anywhere?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm just curious if there is a overall plot to the series that I'm missing? I just finished watching the second volume, so I'm nine episodes down in a thirteen episode series. So, unless something completely changes in the last four episodes, I'm guessing the answer is no.

Also, I didn't really like the second volume as much as the first. The first volume really drew me into the story in a big way. There just wasn't as much of an emotional impact in the second volume. It seemed as though these episodes focused less on the girls and more on the missions. Does this change in the last four episodes? Is there a "big finish" that I'm going to have to wait to see?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Really? I had the exact opposite reaction you did. I was really down on the series after the first volume, but have a much more favorable opinion of the series after the second volume, as people will see when my review for it gets posted. (Hopefully sometime next week?)

As for the second volume not being as emotional? I dunno, I thought the ending of episode 9 was pretty potent stuff. Episode 8 was also pretty sad, but for different reasons. Episodes 6 and 7, OTOH, I'll agree were all about the missions.

Really, though, does this series need much of an ongoing plot? If it's just going to be 13 episodes, then I don't think it does. It's gotten along fine so far without one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Really? I had the exact opposite reaction you did. I was really down on the series after the first volume, but have a much more favorable opinion of the series after the second volume, as people will see when my review for it gets posted. (Hopefully sometime next week?)

Well, the thing about the first volume, at least according to your review of it, was that you were disgusted by certain elements of the series. To me, disgust is a perfectly fine emotion to have. And I prefer anime that makes me feel SOMETHING over ones that make me feel NOTHING.

Too many series are just there to give you a reason to zone out. A really good series, on the other hand, makes you feel a variety of emotions, even if those emotions are ones you would rather not feel. That was the strength of Gunslinger Girl Vol. 1. I felt genuinely bad for the girls. The second volume, on the other hand, felt very matter of fact.

Perhaps the first volume just desensitized me, but I really felt like zoning out during the second volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1