• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi OVA Comments and Problems (Possible Spoilers)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Someone else on staff is supposed to be doing a proper review of the Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki 3 OVA vol. 1, so I'll just register a few comments here.

1) Did anyone else who watched the English 5.1 dub on a surround-sound system notice some audio oddities in this volume? Three or four different times when a character was speaking from off-screen (especially in the third episode) there was a weird resonance and echo-like effect which couldn't have been intended. The problem does not exist in the English Stereo dub.

2) It would appear that this series is just flat-out ignoring the existence of any other Tenchi material beyond the original OVAs, including the Mihoshi special. That's the only way that some of this (such as why Tenchi's mother is being called Kiyone and Mihoshi's former partner not being Kiyone) makes any sense. Or is there other stuff going on here which hasn't been revealed yet?

3) Ryoko's English voice: didn't care for it at first, but it grew on me by the end of the volume.

4) How is Rea supposed to fit into all of this? Her relationship to anyone isn't explained, and I don't remember her popping up before.

All-in-all, the series has my interest piqued. What happened to Tenchi's mother, beyond the fact that she died when Tenchi was young, has never been explained before, and it's great to see all the gang back in action again and up to usual tricks. I know I'm looking forward to the next volume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
1. cant comment.

2. Of course it is ignoring them. Universe and Shin are spin-offs. Mihoshi special as well. The names of the characters, such as Tenchi`s mother, was made well before OVA3, in Tenchi Muyo101 as well as 3 other volumes of work that detailed the past of Jurai, Washu, and Yosho.

3. Thats great to hear^^

4. No comment for now.

I loved the original alot more than the new one. But it is definitely gonna be nostalgic to hear their voices again. They had one of the best VA cast imo.
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
2.) OVA and Universe are different things. In Universe there was a character called Kiyone. In the OVa Kiyone isn't in it because she never exsited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
final sage of fantas wrote:
2.) OVA and Universe are different things. In Universe there was a character called Kiyone. In the OVa Kiyone isn't in it because she never exsited.

Well, I know that. My point, though, was that the first Tenchi movie, which is in line with the first TV series (Tenchi Universe), quite clearly labeled Tenchi's mother as being Achika. While a lot of details do change between the OVAs and the TV series, names of characters had remained consistent - at least up until now.
Fenrir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Well you gotta realize the OVA is the original. Nothing came before that. So whatever the movies say or if they were in line with whatever TV series it doesn't matter. The OVA is going by the only thing that matters to it the OVA series which it was created to wrap up.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo GXP and the two OVAs are the only thing that exist in the same universe as the third OVA. For what I understand, Tenchi GXP is events that occur after the third OVA.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
Yes, GXP occurs 3 years after the end of OVA3.
JoPaco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:20 am Reply with quote
i havn't revisted any of the tenchi's series' in a long time. So achika from Tenchi in Love never existed in the original OVA's?
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:55 am Reply with quote
Achika is Tenchi`s mother in Universe.

Kiyone is Tenchi`s mother in OVA.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Well, I know that. My point, though, was that the first Tenchi movie, which is in line with the first TV series (Tenchi Universe), quite clearly labeled Tenchi's mother as being Achika. While a lot of details do change between the OVAs and the TV series, names of characters had remained consistent - at least up until now.
Only the main characters as they were the only ones to be used from the OVA. However to say that Kiyone, as Tenchi's mother, didn't exist is completely wrong. If one has read the "Shin (or True) Tenchi Muyo" novels, (and I don't mean the NNFT GNs) then one would realise she was always named Kiyone. She was also in the First OVA, if only briefly, in Ep-4. It's only because of a translation error in her relationship to Tenchi that she isn't recogised. One must be careful not to mix any of the francises together or confusion like this will occur. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I remember in one episode Tenchi was crying then he said,"Grandma", but he was supposed to say mother.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember in one episode Tenchi was crying then he said,"Grandma", but he was supposed to say mother.
Correct.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to expand on the comments that the 3rd OAV ignores the movies and the two TV series by reminding you, Key, that series creator Masaki Kajishima was not even INVOLVED in Universe and Tokyo.

In fact, Kajishima did not return to the franchise until the 3rd movie - Tenchi Muyo in Love 2/Tenchi Forever.

The 3rd OAV is intended to be the penultimate entry into the franchise, and the completion of the story Masaki Kajishima began nearly fifteen years ago.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I'd like to expand on the comments that the 3rd OAV ignores the movies and the two TV series by reminding you, Key, that series creator Masaki Kajishima was not even INVOLVED in Universe and Tokyo.

In fact, Kajishima did not return to the franchise until the 3rd movie - Tenchi Muyo in Love 2/Tenchi Forever.

The 3rd OAV is intended to be the penultimate entry into the franchise, and the completion of the story Masaki Kajishima began nearly fifteen years ago.
All three movies were canon to the TV series, thiough some could say that DoD was a stand alone. and Kajishima had nothing to do with any of the TV series apart from allowing them to use his character designs. He was working on "Duel" and "Photon" when "Universe" and "Tokyo" were being produced. The third movie, "Tenchi Forever" is recognised to be the final conclusion of the TV universe and is in no way connected to the OVA what so ever. Wink
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey, long time no see Mohawk
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2