• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ugh, no more 4Kids uncuts

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
From people who went to AnimeNEXT:

Quote:
"Also, as far as uncut dvds go, we got word from the voice actors that there were no dvds in production, and that there was no plan to make uncut one piece dvds. Also, the funimation rep informed us that there currently were no plans to continue the other uncut dvds, although it is still possible for them to be produced if 4kids should happen to change their minds."

Perfect. Now, not only do I get jipped on getting One Piece uncut, but no more Shaman King or Tokyo Mew Mew for me.

*yells the obligatory "KAAAAAAAAAHN"*
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Alright, even I'll admit this is a raw deal.

HOWEVER, it could also mean that 4Kids will be offering their titles up to other companies to produce uncut version of instead like what Nelvana did with Cardcaptor Sakura and DIC with Saint Saiya.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Since I'm unfamiliar with how One Piece was originally, can you give me a few examples of how the "uncut" version would differ from the cut version seen in the US?

I'm guessing that the main difference involves the swordfights with Zolo. It seems like they may have been cut to eliminate the violence, although when I was an 8 year old I would have been able to figure out that a dude with three swords was pretty much going to cut you into filet mignon, anyway! How stupid do parents think their kids are these days? Rolling Eyes
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
well, on top of the covered up amounts of blood, there are alot of sexual innuendo's that are thrown Nami's way. Mostly from Sanji. Also, Sanji's lolipop is actually a cigarette. Now I have to say that I am very dissapointed in this news. I can only pray that emerje is right in his assumption that they are just giving the license to a different company. I thikn that the reason that they are doing this is because perhaps the uncut dvd's were not making as much money as the cut ones. This just pisses me off cause I really wanted uncut one piece and shaman king. I want to see that pot leaf on Yoh's shirt dammit!
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
Since I'm unfamiliar with how One Piece was originally, can you give me a few examples of how the "uncut" version would differ from the cut version seen in the US?

- Music was changed and replaced with superficial crap (it conveys no emotion whatsoever and I honestly don't think anyone could prefer it over the orchestrated score the original had).
- A lot of questionable censorship took/taking place (re-coloring pots and pans? Digitally editing swords so that they're not as long? Changing the word "Marines" to "Navy" in EVERY shot? And their desire to remove every English word, regardless of what it is? um, k)
- Merging episodes regardless of whether or not the content is objectionable (in fact they're skipping over 3 episodes that are vital to the next arc because... well, I don't think there even is a reason). The recent episode merged footage from FOUR episodes into one.
- Removed the emotional backbone of the series. Usopp's self-realization of being himself being pathetic was removed and Zoro, Nami, and Usopp had their pasts downplayed dramatically (Zoro's friend originally died and is now "knocked out", which somehow prompts Zoro to... leave her? Nami's mom is imprisoned instead of death, which creates a plothole because Nami could have easily set her free after the events that took place (working for the person who killed her mom), and Usopp had a connection with a sick girl, nearly every trace of which was removed)
- Unfitting voices for Luffy, Usopp, and Sanji. Luffy's is tolerable and Usopp can be adjustable, but David Moo as Sanji?! Just... no.

I've clocked near 450 edits in doing edit lists for the series, and I haven't even done half of what the dub has aired yet. I've only done about 19 episodes or so, they've aired footage from 45 and skipped 3. The only show I can recall that could even compare to the horrible treatment One Piece is getting stateside in the past five years is Cardcaptor Sakura.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Usopp had a connection with a sick girl, nearly every trace of which was removed)
- Unfitting voices for Luffy, Usopp, and Sanji. Luffy's is tolerable and Usopp can be adjustable, but David Moo as Sanji?! Just... no.

Wait, they removed some the stuff with that girl from the Captain Kuro storyline? I don't even see how that could've worked if any of that was removed, I've read the manga and not watced the anime so maybe I'm just missing something.

As far as the voices, I agree, Sanji's is just awful and why the hell does a pirate have a New Yorker accent? That's worse than Jounouchi from YuGiOh having one
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Alright, even I'll admit this is a raw deal.

HOWEVER, it could also mean that 4Kids will be offering their titles up to other companies to produce uncut version of instead like what Nelvana did with Cardcaptor Sakura and DIC with Saint Saiya.

Emerje

Wouldn't this be pretty unlikely? 4kids has had a fairly strong relationship with Funi, and given the quote, it doesn't appear they are seeking another company to distribute DVD's instead. If they had indicated they had plans in the future to do so, this might stand a chance. As it is right now, I'm doubtful the fans will get what we want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody want crackers to go with that whine?

No uncuts?Big deal.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Emerje"]Alright, even I'll admit this is a raw deal.

heh, you're giving 4kids to much credit.

[quote="Nionel"]
Yashouzoid wrote:
As far as the voices, I agree, Sanji's is just awful and why the hell does a pirate have a New Yorker accent? That's worse than Jounouchi from YuGiOh having one

dear god i've never even seen the original, and that guy's voice makes this show almost painful to watch.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, so 4Kids is annoying. But...after being busy with class for a few then coming here to find another one of these threads...They're (thankfully) not the only company out there, find something else for the time being.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

No uncuts?Big deal.

I wish people were more like, but they would normally find One Piece fansubs in a heartbeat. Eh, what keeps them happy. Although... *Seals his copies of the uncut 4Kids Shaman Kings.* See you in a year Ebay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Wouldn't this be pretty unlikely? 4kids has had a fairly strong relationship with Funi, and given the quote, it doesn't appear they are seeking another company to distribute DVD's instead. If they had indicated they had plans in the future to do so, this might stand a chance. As it is right now, I'm doubtful the fans will get what we want.

Do you really think they'd tell us if they were in talks with another company at the expense of another fan backlash if that deal fell through. You know as well as I do that none of these companies will tell us anything until they're ready to. How many times has a company adamently told us they aren't seeking a license only to announce it the next con? Yeah, it's a lot of speculation on my part, they may never release another uncut DVD ever, but company reps are pretty good liers. Seems to me like they're leaving themselves open judging by the "still possible" comment. Sort of a "Oh, yeah, we changed our mind the next day, Toei is doig the uncut One Piece" type of deally once the "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed on the contract.

I really wouldn't be surprised either way.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

No uncuts?Big deal.
No uncuts = not cool. It pisses off the fanbase and only sucks 4Kids further into the black hole they're falling in.

One Piece is the only show that I can find fansubs for, so I'm pretty boned on this one.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite "perfectly justified edits" was when Usop was fighting his merman he plays dead, and in the Japanese version he uses an attack he calls his "Ketchup Star", which is basically using Ketchup as fake blood to enhance the illusion of his supposed death, but they even editted THAT out, even though it was clearly explained as FAKE BLOOD in the Japanese version. Bah, 4Kids sucks when it comes to the creative side of their business (although certainly not on the business side of their business, they know how to make money).

I still dread when they get to portion's like Luffy's fight at the end of the Alabaster arc in which he's drenched head to toe in his own bloode (for reasons entirely necessary to the plot). This is NOT a "kid friendly" series that only requires minor edits to run.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

No uncuts?Big deal.

The only reason i'm still sane from all the good animes turned into crap is because of uncut... then i have reassurance that i still can see the anime in it's original form... legally

sure there are fansubs, but what if (worse case scenario) companies start suing fansub communities for the violation of the copyright laws?

besides, i enjoy getting DVDs, maybe adding them to my collection. I don't want crap in my collection. I can understand cuts on TV (but not the weird, random and unreasonable cuts of 4kids) but i always have this "It's alright, there are still uncut DVDs where i can enjoy them and maybe have a better or more diverse perspective on the show. If something is missing that is important cut or loss through the script adaption I will still be able or have an opportunity to see them."

Also i'm tired of hearing people getting misconceptions about plot points or qualities in anime. Because of popularized super edited anime, many non-anime fans don't have a the proper reconization with the anime. Even thinks Yugioh is just for kids when in actuality it's rated Teen in Japan (maybe the TCG hype seems to attracts more kids is probably the reason though)
I don't mind if they butcher Pokemon... because that's already for family audiences, but teen shows dumbed down because they want more business? that's a no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3