• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BERSERK = Best Anime Ever...?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrShare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
YES IT IS.

The story is surprising, and keeps taking you in new directions. The characters, Guts, Casca and Griffith are awesome. And the battles, violence and nudity.... Shocked

[Snip -t]

Word to BERSERK.

[Image removed for being too large. -t]
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to check it out for a while, now I think you've finally put me over the edge and I finally will Smile
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
looks cool but I'd have to check out the manga first to see if I would get into it,
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I am waiting for those who will inevitably point to the ending as "that which ruined the show for me"--

But for now-- I absolutely agree. I thought the ending was genius, the characters amazing, the music a dream, the animation.... eh, passable ::chuckle:: And I personally liked many (not all) of the changes they made from the manga-- less gore and t and a, more character focused. It is, most definitely, my favorite anime show. There are some OVA's or movies I may like as much (Spirited Away, Totoro, Millenium Actress, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou), but no other show had the consistent depth, growth of charcter, and symbolic resonance that this show had. Characters actually act in a pretty adult way too-- less general screaming, whining, and general angst than you get in most anime shows. I even like it more than Macross, and that was my fav for many, many years.

Hail! Hail!! Berserk is, indeed, wonderful. Still, I expect this thread to soon be locked, as there isn't much else to say.... Smile
MrShare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the music. The theme songs GATSU and BEHELIT are amazing.

You can check them out here...

http://www.classicmanga.com/berserk/media.html

Although, really, the songs have much more meaning once you've seen the series.
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
err.. what exactly is the topic of discussion here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MrShare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:

Um.... Is Berserk the best anime series ever?
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... haven't seen this series so I don't know, but I think Rurouni Kenshin 1st OAV would fit the category as the Best Ever, if it will be base on the majority, don't you think? But for me RK 1st OAV isn't the best, it's just one of the best.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
Hmm... haven't seen this series so I don't know, but I think Rurouni Kenshin 1st OAV would fit the category as the Best Ever, if it will be base on the majority, don't you think? But for me RK 1st OAV isn't the best, it's just one of the best.

Saying something is "the best" is entirely subjective and varies from person to person. I would say Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen is the best, to me.

Berserk, while I gave it a Masterpiece rating and have it as one of my top 10 favorite TV series, is another brilliant title, but I wouldn't say it's the best. The non-ending ending didn't provide enough closure for me, where as Tsuioku-hen told a sad story with just the right character development, music, and plot twists in about 6.25 times less episodes.
Neclord516

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say its the best anime ever because that honor goes to Hajime no Ippo at least in my case. I would say it is one of the most engrossing and best made anime series. I thought the story was always advancing and keeping me on the edge of my seat. I also enjoyed the fight scenes quite a bit. Gatz is one of my favorite anime characters because he has that I won't take crap from anyone attitude. This series definitely goes on my top 10 list but not as the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:38 am Reply with quote
MrShare wrote:
msi435 wrote:

Um.... Is Berserk the best anime series ever?

It's no Gekiganger, that's for sure.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime was good. It's the manga that made me like it so much though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1