• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaze no Yojimbo?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I was looking for opinions on this series, I've seen the trailer and it looks pretty good. Also, anyone know if there is a box set on the way or an artbox with this one rather than buying each individual volume?
darkcancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Its a very good show if you like nothing that super-natural. Everything that goes on is pretty normal. It has very good mystery and drama elements. I personally enjoyed it alot, but to my knowledge, there is no art box or perfect collection. sorry.
Arkard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, being a Kurosawa fan, I watched KnY a few times over already and I can whole-heartly reccomend it.
I was amazed at how a series which such slow plot, overall lack of action and a music track which is close to zero could be such entertaining.
I enjoyed it. You should also.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't seem that popular here nobody's even written a plot description for it, yet all the episodes have been released and are readily available. Usually I'm pretty good at determining whether or not I'll like a show from it's trailer, and I got that feeling from this one. I'll have to wait until I finish collecting one of my series, probabally ROD The TV first as volume 7 comes out this month in order to spare my poor bank account.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Argh, the anime goddess be a harsh mistress. Wink

I'm working on Read or Die too since it will be done this month. Next month is going to kill me with Gungrave and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex releasing their final DVDs and Fullmetal Alchemist DVD 4 being released.

And I've been spending a boatload of money at CD Japan for CDs not yet released in the states.

I've also seen a preview for Kaze no Yojimbo and found it interesting. Yet another series that I'll have to buy. *sigh*
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
She is indeed, there's so many series to see and so little money. I've got like...*counts* seven (Holy crap!) titles I'm currently collecting Elfen Lied, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Gungrave, Madlax, ROD the TV, Scrapped Princess, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I don't usually collect this many at one time but there's just so much good stuff comming out recently. About a 4th my earnings goes to anime and other DVDs, at least it's money well spent. Crying or Very sad
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Well I have two things to say/ask

1)Is this a live action based on an anime, or an actual anime. Because somebody mentioned Kurosawa. Is this like Samurai 7 or the actual Kurosawa film, Seven Samurai? If I am not mistaken, Kaze no Yojimobo translates into "bodyguard of the wind"...is that accurate? Does the protagonist have super natural powers of any sort?

2)I can agree that anime is a costly habit if you let it be. This is why I have turned to smaller series these days. Most recently I started collecting Ikkitousen and Paranoia Agent. I need two more DVD's to have all of Paranoia Agent, and three more to have all of Ikkitousen. From there I figure i'll collect Samurai Champloo. It is twice the length, but I love the series, and want to support it. After that, I suppose I will wait for a domestic release of Samurai 7, so I can scoop that up to. Shorter series are the only saving grace for us financially challenged hobbyists.
Arkard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
The anime is Very loosely based on Yojimbo by Kurosawa, but it is set in modern times. No, it has no supernatural powers in it.
It is more like: suspense mystery/drama.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
I have seen this series and will concur will Arkard, I found it (Kaze No Yojimbo) to be very interesting. As far as I know there are no plans for a boxset or elsewise. So that is 6 volumes you would have to purchase.
Quick Breakdown of this series, there this dude name George he's looking for someone in a small town where basically anyone can be bought. George attempts to solve a mystery that no one wishes to remember.

This series is a slow moving one, if you need lots of action to survive a series look else where. If you are into small town mystery/looking at a battle from both side then this might be for you. I rated this show as being "GOOD" just because I felt that the show try to introduce a little too much info too late in the show. But overall I did enjoy myself would not consider this a waste of time.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Considering I like shows like .hack//SIGN and the Crest/Banner of the Stars series I'd say I have lots of patience to enjoy a good story, and can enjoy pretty much any genre of anime as long as the plotline is well presented.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1