• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hikaru no Go anime licensed?!?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
I got my monthly Shonen Jump USA today, and just finished reading it. There is a story at the end of it about the Hikaru no Go Manga and Anime. It says that Hikaru no Go will premiere on american DVD in September. The weird thing is that it lists that the anime is "currently scheduled to debut in the US" is TBA. Guess there may be a change it will get on TV. Wonder if ADV has it, and it will just be on Anime Network
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
Haven't read the article, but from what you've written I don't see where you get the idea that it would be on TV. The debut they're talking about is probably just the DVD release. Either way, it's great to hear.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
ok, this is what it says:
Date expected for DVD release of Hikaru no Go anime in the US: September 2005
Month the Hikaru no Go anime is currently scheduled to debut in the United States: TBA

Seems kind of odd to me if they are trying to say the same thing two different times with two different answers, unless they are refering to two different things
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
Ok, yeah, I guess it very well could be TV bound. However I'd be very surprised if ADV gets it, they aren't exactly Shonen Jump friendly. It's far more likely to be picked up by FUNimation, Viz, or 4Kids and aired on 4Kids TV, Kids WB, or Cartoon Network. But it could also be that their TBA means they aren't sure if it will actually debut on TV at all or perhaps the DVD release will come first.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It's very likely then to be a Viz release. Sadly, Viz tends to not market their anime licenses very effectively unless it's titled Inu-Yasha. Rolling Eyes

Still, I hadn't expected a license of the anime since Viz claimed they didn't have the anime after all the confusion with regard to the manga. Still, if they plan to release it, it's good news IMO. I'd like to see it shown on TV. (though sadly, it means having to edit it down - cigarette smoking) With enough exposure, it could cause kids to start playing that instead of going after the Pokemon and Yugioh CCG's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get my copy of Shonen Jump yet, hopefully I'll get it soon. That's cool about the anime but I wouldn't watch it unless it was on tv.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Interesting tidbit, but HnG was on the same network, animated by the same studio, and the manga published by the same companies as Naruto. Hmmmm, pattern?
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, since they've liscenced the anime, I really do hope they liscence the sountracks as well. The theme songs are really great, and the only ones I can find are bootlegs. The anime's pace is painfully slow at times (in my opinion), but watching many episodes a day might be the way to go. For the most part, it's a kid friendly show. Except as Godaistudios pointed out, they'll have to edit the cigaratte smoking. I wonder how it'll be done, because lolipop would look ridiculous.
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
I personally like the manga because the anime cuts off quite early. I don't mind watching it again if/when it airs though. I love the characters and how fluid the animation is. X3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1