• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To those buying the R.O.D Blu Ray Box

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure a lot of people already know this, as it's been talked about quite a but and mentioned in Beveridge's review over on AOD, but here goes. Anyone thinking about buying Aniplex's Read or Die blu ray should be aware that the English dub track is basically a downgrade from Geneon's dvds. It's a 2.0 mix done at 384 kbps. Geneon's was a 5.1 mix done at higher kbps (can't remember the exact number now) The JP dub is PCM 2.0. So for fans of the dub, you're better off just sticking with your old discs than paying for a 160 dollar upscale with inferior engish audio.

Saved me a lot of dough anyway! Thanks Aniplex!

Here is a ling to Chris Beveridge's review, he explains the audio issue better than I could ever hope to:
http://www.mania.com/read-or-die-rod-complete-bluray-box_article_125660.html
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I personally couldn't care less about the dub track, but I knew the Japanese wasn't going to be any better than a 2.0 PCM mix. It's a shame for some though. A lazy release indeed. I'm really just buying this show for the collector aspect. As long as they don't dumb down the original audio mixes (like Bandai Ent/Bang Zoom with Haruhi S2), I will continue my support.
wormraper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
no skin off my nose. I consider Eng dubs like most people consider syphilis

but not picking up the set until they release it at a 60% msrp drop minimum.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:

So in other words, you aren't getting it? Laughing
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:
no skin off my nose. I consider Eng dubs like most people consider syphilis

You might get lucky, but I'm inclined to predict that they'll be collector's pieces before long.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess the "collector's aspect" will be the allure a lot of people (who have much more disposable income than me). That's cool with me. People who want to "collect" an overpriced and arguably low-quality (for what is supposed to be a premium item) are welcome to Rolling Eyes .

Aniplex is releasing a very gimped boxset, and charging fans 100 dollars more than what it's worth. I'm sorry, but a JP PCM track and slightly nicer package (than say what Funi or Sentai would do) doesn't warrant R2-like pricing. Would have much rathered if Funimation licensed this. At least they wouldn't gouge the hell out of their customers and then turn around and say "whoops, our English dub track is inferior to Geneons 5+ year old dvds! But we still want your $160!"
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
"whoops, our English dub track is inferior to Geneons 5+ year old dvds! But we still want your $160!"

And they will get it (or mine at least). Like I said, wouldn't really have cared if the English mix was lossless or not. It would have probably gone unheard from me.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
"whoops, our English dub track is inferior to Geneons 5+ year old dvds! But we still want your $160!"

And they will get it (or mine at least). Like I said, wouldn't really have cared if the English mix was lossless or not. It would have probably gone unheard from me.

It's the principle of thing, though. I've never and probably never will listen to the Japanese track for Haruhi Suzumiya, but that doesn't mean I'm not kind of bummed it has a gimped Japanese track. I'm also really pissed at Bandai for thinking it's cool to sell BDs without Japanese tracks, even though I never would've listened to it (I don't give a frick about the Japanese and their stupid fear of reverse importation). The fact that Aniplex is selling a lame product at a not-so-lame price is pretty absurd, whether you're a dub fan or not.

It's moments like this where I drop and shake my head at the fandom who will rage at Bandai for releasing a mono Japanese track and expect them to fix it, but shrug off the fact that an English track got gimped. I wish dub fans were as vocal as sub fans sometimes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

It's the principle of thing, though. I've never and probably never will listen to the Japanese track for Haruhi Suzumiya, but that doesn't mean I'm not kind of bummed it has a gimped Japanese track. I'm also really pissed at Bandai for thinking it's cool to sell BDs without Japanese tracks, even though I never would've listened to it (I don't give a frick about the Japanese and their stupid fear of reverse importation). The fact that Aniplex is selling a lame product at a not-so-lame price is pretty absurd, whether you're a dub fan or not.

It's moments like this where I drop and shake my head at the fandom who will rage at Bandai for releasing a mono Japanese track and expect them to fix it, but shrug off the fact that an English track got gimped. I wish dub fans were as vocal as sub fans sometimes.

No head shaking needed. Check my initial post. I acknowledged that its a lazy release and a shame for some, I just don't happen to be included.

I understand that it IS the principle of the matter but did we really expect this exact replica of the Japanese release to have the Geneon/Manga upmixes? I'm actually surprised they popped an English dub on there to begin with.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

I understand that it IS the principle of the matter but did we really expect this exact replica of the Japanese release to have the Geneon/Manga upmixes? I'm actually surprised they popped an English dub on there to begin with.

For $160 USD, that's exactly what I expected. It was also the deciding factor on whether or not to double dip, since the video upscale is not warranted in the price.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

For $160 USD, that's exactly what I expected. It was also the deciding factor on whether or not to double dip, since the video upscale is not warranted in the price.

You have waaaay too much optimism for these companies. FUNi may be good about those kind of things like carrying over audio, and most recently extras, but don't trust the ones that have Japanese parents. They are cheapie penny pinchers. That $160 price tag is solely because of the fact it's an exact replica.

Keep your DVD's. If I owned them I wouldn't double dip either. It's just dumb luck I waited this long to buy it. You would have spent $160 buying this show day one, and I would have as well if I was interested in it back then. Might as well breathe life into the market by buying something thats "in print" than something from a now defunct company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1