• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are all anime characters so good looking?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharpe

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons I enjoy watching anime is because it inspires me to stay in shape. This is due mainly to the aesthetically pleasing visuals. Why is it that so many anime characters are like this?
djfu10

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
because the creaters have a sense of beauty a very good sense of beauty. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Sharpe wrote:
One of the reasons I enjoy watching anime is because it inspires me to stay in shape. This is due mainly to the aesthetically pleasing visuals. Why is it that so many anime characters are like this?

Because you hardly sell as many copies of "fapbait girlboobs volume 3" if your lead character is an overweight magic playing, anime watching hag with broken teeth as opposed to a fantastically beautiful, pink haired magic playing, anime watching sex on legs with pristine teeth.

Man I am so bitter Sad
Aokage

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The obvious reason is that sexuality sells. Good looking people appeal to the masses. This isn't just true in America or Japan, but all over the world. Though there are different ideas of sexual appeal in different countries. For most westernized country's and modern country's...big boobs, slim waist, or broad shoulders and a six pack, are the things that appeal most.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
You know, I was wondering this too... *and recently*

but I was very surprised and pleased when I saw PARANOIA AGENT... it had a different approach to things...

regardless of it's "cartoony" type of character designs, when it comes down to it, the truth is this is possibly the more realistic approach I've seen as far as character designs go *in anime... well, I haven't seen a whole lot... so do people have other examples?*

the characters in the series are all very unique looking and very believable

no one really looks "perfect"

I mean, GITS looks realistic too, but then they all look... well, perfect... there were above average looking chicks everywhere in this series

so yeah, what other anime would you guys thin had a very "down to earth" look?

... I thought that NieA_7 sorta fits this...

I seem to be lost *hahaha*
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so yeah, what other anime would you guys thin had a very "down to earth" look?

Akira is one film that has down-to-earth characters. And some of the Miyazaki films are a little on the realistic side... Slightly.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
wow, nice examples... anything else?
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
DKL wrote:

There's Piano, coming out through Right Stuf before too much longer is about as down to earth as I've seen. It packs in all the excitement of everyday life...

Though it's not licensed, I have to say Maria-sama ga Miteru being a very down to earth anime series. An anime series starring a cast of girls and none of them are trying to gain attention through bouncing their boobs?? Something's refreshing!
lovehinafan1

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Sharpe wrote:

Yet again i thought I was the only one.... everytime i see those girls always so skinney and fit, it keeps me motivated. I guess thats why I'm always the first girl to finish in the fitness tests for the mile races. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
msi435

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
The character designs for many studio ghibli films are very "down to earth". Films like Whisper of the heart (my favorite), Only yesterday, grave of the fireflies, my neighbor totoro, all have great realistic characters…. Minus totoros, cat buses, and the baron of course Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jagozon

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
Nobody would want to watch a show with alot of ugly people,so they use atractive characters to bring in an attention.Would you pick up a DVD with a hot girl with a wereing bikini on the cover,or a one with a ugly,one eyed,over weight women,with a peg leg on it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

Perfect Blue. A lot of ugly (even fat) people, (especially bystander and subcharacter) in that movie.

msi435 wrote:
The character designs for many studio ghibli films are very "down to earth". Films like Whisper of the heart (my favorite), Only yesterday, grave of the fireflies, my neighbor totoro, all have great realistic characters…. Minus totoros, cat buses, and the baron of course Smile.

A lot of Ghibli character are drawn too cute (which does not include sexiness or attractiveness).

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed May 11, 2005 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
To sell action figures of course. Razz

Anyway despite all the good reasons above another is a little psychology, that of having them good looking makes it easier to connect with them, and care what happens to them more.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Perfect Blue. A lot of ugly (even fat) people, (especially bystander and subcharacter) in that movie.

Oh yeah, not to mention all of Kon's other works, you're right...

also, Katsuhiro Otomo's *sp?* stuff too... Jin-Roh... memories

... though, I have to admit, attractive characters are easy on the eyes *which is how it's suppose to be... I guess*
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote
A better question "why not?"

American tv is starting to make it a little too acceptible to be overweight. Presenting positive rolemodels is a good way to keep people in line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4