• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An index of legal streaming anime sites.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Hoping this is the right place, I thought folks here would be helped by a site that I just built. It's a directory of anime that's legally streamed on the internet, along with links to each site that streams it.

http://www.streamsuki.com

This is not a "streaming anime site" -- it doen't copy or embed streams. It just links to the legitimate streaming sites.

Feedback, thoughts, recommendations, etc. are very much welcome.

(Note to mods: The site has a few ads on it as an experiment, but it's not a commercial site per se. I've only made a couple of dollars off the ads so far. As such, I don't think this belongs in the Retail forum, but I'll gladly delete this and move it there if the mods deem necessary.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Will you include international streaming too?

Will you rename the thread's title to "A certain index of legal streaming anime sites?"

Anyway, that site looks very helpful (for Americans).

Btw, Funi is streaming Legend of the Legendary Heroes on its own site I believe, and on youtube (which is made available in the UK).

Last edited by egoist on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Normally we don't allow self-promotion threads, but this looks like a worthwhile site which could be a valuable reference. I'll allow this to stand.

And egoist: I'm glad your avatar is winking after that second comment. . . Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Will you rename the thread's title to "A certain index of legal streaming anime sites?"
Oh, you. Laughing
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Will you include international streaming too?

I'd be glad to! I just need to figure out an appropriate interface for it. I'm concentrating on the North American market as a starting point.

Is there a list of international streaming sites that I can use for reference?

And thanks for the catch; I should have mentioned in the title or first post that the site is focused on North America at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And egoist: I'm glad your avatar is winking after that second comment. . . Rolling Eyes

The part about the Americans? I just stated the truth...

Quote:
Is there a list of international streaming sites that I can use for reference?

I could try surfing some British anime forums yes. But not now, my cornetto enigma awaits me.

Well, I kinda feel sorry about saying that to be frank. ANN is an American anime site after all (while you do wish they could target every English speaking countries).

Last edited by egoist on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Normally we don't allow self-promotion threads, but this looks like a worthwhile site which could be a valuable reference. I'll allow this to stand.

Thanks very much! I fully appreciate your general policy.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I like the design. Seems helpful.

Do you have an option to sort by Streaming source?
So, you'd see a list of all available at suchandsuch.com?

How do you tracking these yourself?
Do you keep track of the guide thread available on the Toon Zone anime forum? Doing that means getting updates from that sites members. http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=265522
That's been the best index of this sort I've seen so far, but it's only a list. No cross referencing abilities so this could be a helpful resource.

How far are you planning on going? Also listing Hulu, Youtube, Toonzaki, and other sites eventually? Keeping track of sites that may just have one or two show streamed for some reason (Such Deltora Quest on hubworld)?

You could have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I like the design. Seems helpful.

Thanks!

Quote:
Do you have an option to sort by Streaming source? So, you'd see a list of all available at suchandsuch.com?

Not yet. How would that be helpful to folks?

Quote:
How do you tracking these yourself?

I have scripts that check each sites' webpages or API once a week.

Quote:
Do you keep track of the guide thread available on the Toon Zone anime forum?

Nope, and I wasn't aware of that thread. Thanks for pointing me to it!

Fortunately, it looks like every anime on that thread is already indexed by StreamSuki.

Quote:
How far are you planning on going? Also listing Hulu, Youtube, Toonzaki, and other sites eventually?

It already indexes Hulu, YouTube, and Toonzaki (plus Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Funimation.com, The Anime Network, ANN, and Viz). Are they not showing up for you? Please let me know and I'll look into it.

Quote:
Keeping track of sites that may just have one or two show streamed for some reason (Such Deltora Quest on hubworld)?

If it has anime, I'll list it if possible. However, I've already come across a couple of sites that are effectively impossible to automatically index, like Cartoon Network's site. So I'm doing my best.

HubWorld.com has much the same problem as Cartoon Network's site -- there's no way for the code to tell which of the shows available are anime. Hmmmmm.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
legal sites like www.vizanime.com this is Viz's streaming site and it's legal. lots of shows are posted there i did not notice on your listing.
Media blasters now posts a few episodes of there shows at there web site www.media-blasters.com,
www.hulu.com as well as www.Funimation.com
www.otakuusamagazine.com also links shows legal for streaming.
theanimenetwork.com is a legal join able site.
then of course www.crunchyroll.com and youtube.com
animenewsnetwork.com of course.

Itunes sells anime though it's hard to find on that site.

I wonder these are all the places i have been able to find I am in north America.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
catstigereye wrote:
youtube.com
Woah, woah, woah--only on the official channels of the companies, such as FUNimation or AniplexUSA's channel.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I forgot crackle that's sony site that has some anime posted on it as well.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
For Soranowoto, could I implore you to list the "The Horizon of Dreams" bonus episode after episode 12, and not before ep. 1? Because it's actually an epilogue, and watching it before episode 1 will confuse new watchers. I know that's how CR has it placed, but it's still misleading.
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks very much for your feedback!

catstigereye wrote:
legal sites like www.vizanime.com this is Viz's streaming site and it's legal. lots of shows are posted there i did not notice on your listing.
Media blasters now posts a few episodes of there shows at there web site www.media-blasters.com...(snip)

Interesting. Could you please point me to the shows on those sites that aren't showing up on StreamSuki? I'm indexing all of the sites you mention (Viz, Media Blasters, Funimation, Hulu, etc.), and just did a quick check and all the shows on those sites do seem to be on StreamSuki. However, I could very well be missing something.

einhorn303 wrote:
For Soranowoto, could I implore you to list the "The Horizon of Dreams" bonus episode after episode 12, and not before ep. 1? Because it's actually an epilogue, and watching it before episode 1 will confuse new watchers. I know that's how CR has it placed, but it's still misleading.

Ah, I appreciate that! How frustrating.

Unfortunately, StreamSuki is designed to list the shows in the order that the various sites have presented them; the more I customize it, the more likely StreamSuki will break when each streaming site changes. This particular problem needs to be fixed on Crunchyroll's side.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Is wikileaks on the list?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2