• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newbie questions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
excel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey guy's just wanted to say hi since I was new here. Actually I'm new to all this anime/manga..so I have a few questions.

1)What's the difference between Anime/Manga?

2)I'm 26 now and was wondering which series either anmie or manga should I read to get started? (and a question for anyone from Toronto, where can buy this stuff in Toronto Canada)

3)What's are the popular anime or manga's right now?

Thanks guys..hope to hear from you soon!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Anime is Japanese Animation, Manga are Japanese comics (done in a reverse style of publication (read left to right, like most Japanese novels), and usually in black and white).

Age isn't nessecerally relevant when it comes to those things. Your taste will usually be based on what sort of shows you like to begin with, or what sort of genres interest you most.

Current popular titles are Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Naruto, Bleach, and Steamboy. Of course, that's a generalized list, as for popular titles incertian genres and with other people, it could be different.
El Oso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2)I'm 26 now and was wondering which series either anmie or manga should I read to get started?

You could always backtrack and start with a bit older anime. Things like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc. are all very popular. Although it all really depends on personal preference
Quote:
or what sort of genres interest you most.

A nice thing about anime, it covers so many genres.
excel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
El Oso wrote:
Quote:
2)I'm 26 now and was wondering which series either anmie or manga should I read to get started?

You could always backtrack and start with a bit older anime. Things like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc. are all very popular. Although it all really depends on personal preference
Quote:
or what sort of genres interest you most.

A nice thing about anime, it covers so many genres.

Who publishes thesee manga's?
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Try ANN's encyclopedia Wink.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
excel wrote:
Hey guy's just wanted to say hi since I was new here. Actually I'm new to all this anime/manga..so I have a few questions.

1)What's the difference between Anime/Manga?

Anime is, in general, cartoons, while manga is the Japanese term for comics.

Quote:
2)I'm 26 now and was wondering which series either manga should I read to get started?

3)What are the popular manga's right now? (and for people from Toronto Canada, where can I get it)

You may enjoy seinen (is this right? Young men's?) titles because they target your age group, but I think you should start with shounen titles, because those are enjoyed by people of all age groups and generally tend to be more popular, sometimes. You may want to check out the Shonen Jump magazine, which boasts "The World's Most Popular Manga." The American company is an offshoot of the Japanese one, and have the same titles.

It's hard to say what you will like because you don't specify what your tastes are, so it's VERY hard to recommend a series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
excel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply..I think action would be my genre of choice..... and what's shounen?

What are some good manga series for seinen genre?

Thanks
El Oso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Who publishes thesee manga's?

Oops, to clarify I was referring to the anime. Although those 4 have manga counterparts. For the manga - Cowboy Bebop is distributed by Tokyopop, Akira and Ghost in the Shell by Darkhorse, and Evangelion by Viz.

For the anime - Cowboy Bebop is distributed by Bandai, Evangelion by ADV, Akira by Pioneer, and Ghost in the Shell by Manga Entertainment.

Hope that helps
excel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
thanks El osa you've ben tons of help...

Someone mentionedd something about seinen genre..and was wwondering if you knew anything about that....if not do you recommend anything more towards my age (26)....maybe action/samuri kinda stuff?

Thanks
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Depends on what you like, excel.

I'll pitch in a few animes I like, since I'm around your age:

For samuri / samurai anime, you might want to check out Ruroni Kenshin or Ninja Scroll.

For more action-oriented anime, I usually recommend Noir or R.O.D. The TV.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, though, is a must-see. As Shrek would say, "It's like an onion - it has layers." What starts out as your average Giant Robot action show turns into an intense psychodrama based on Biblical text and prophecy. You can either start with the first volume of the TV episodes on DVD or by watching the movie Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth.
keichi san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
well if ure into whats popular maybe Full Metal Alchemist,Inuyasha , and definately kenshin, trigun also
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
excel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
Depends on what you like, excel.

I'll pitch in a few animes I like, since I'm around your age:

For samuri / samurai anime, you might want to check out Ruroni Kenshin or Ninja Scroll.

For more action-oriented anime, I usually recommend Noir or R.O.D. The TV.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, though, is a must-see. As Shrek would say, "It's like an onion - it has layers." What starts out as your average Giant Robot action show turns into an intense psychodrama based on Biblical text and prophecy. You can either start with the first volume of the TV episodes on DVD or by watching the movie Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth.

Thanks for your help guys..do any of the animes you recommended abouve come in Manga too?
Thanks
keichi san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i know most if not all of them are in manga
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion, InuYasha, and R.O.D. can be found in manga form. (Click on the titles to see the ANN manga entries. Smile )
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Shounen manga is boy's manga. A lot of guys I know started out with Love Hina as their first manga. ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3