• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Appleseed Parralells?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrossFocus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I have recently just watched the Appleseed theatrical trailer and movie shorts, and I am quite impressed. I have searched the net all day today for similar series, but have not found any. Help?

I'm not even sure what category it'd go under, since I'm not that familiar with anime. Probably action/drama or sci-fi, right?

Thnx!
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Mostly Action and some Drama in a Sci-Fi universe.

If you like Appleseed, then you would probably be interested in Shirow Masamune's other works, such as Black Magic M-66, Ghost in the Shell (and TV series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), and Dominion Tank Police.
CrossFocus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Wow thankyou!

What are some more militaristic ones?

And what does 'OAV' mean?

Thnx!
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
OAV is "Original Animation Video". (Click here to see the Lexicon definition).

Ghost in the Shell is the most "militaristic" one. The story of the movies and TV series deals with a branch of "Public Security" in Japan called "Section 9".

Section 9's public face is as a group dealing with cybernetic crimes, but the truth is that Section 9 is a cybernetic Counter-Terrorism team made up of military personel that carries out all types of cybercrime operations and reports directly to the Prime Minister of Japan.

Section 9 is made up of mostly cyborgs, with field operations commander Major Motoko Kusanagi being the most advanced of them -- a complete robot body.

You should check out the TV series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex first. It's the most accessible version of the story and features very well-written "stand alone" episodes that really draw you into the story. Highly recommended.
Iria51

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
You may also enjoy the Patlabor movies and also the TV and OVA series as well. Although they deal more with the police than the millitary, you might enjoy the police mecha and the melodrama of the films, and the great character development of the series. There is also Gun Parade March which is simular to Patlabor, but to a lesser degree.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I second the recomendation of the Patlabor movies. I haven't seen the new Appleseed movie - just the OVAs, but Patlabor is probably the closest thing. It may not look as glossy as some of the newer titles, but it has a great story and pacing. I'd say it's more like the GiTS TV show thatn the movies though. And 1 more thing - I really wouldn't recomend Tank Police... It's pretty corny and dated.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
^I liked the first two Patlabor films, the thrid was rather boring for my tastes, and I missed all the familiar characters from the first two films who only got bit parts in this one. Still an OK film though.

I'd recomend Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 or if you don't mind the older stuff try the original Bubblegum Crisis series and Bubblegum Crash OAV. All three are excellent shows, and have the mankind VS machines kind of theeme.
Nani?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
One I would recomend if you don't mind a slow building story (first disk is very slow) but still like that "complicated" feel somewhat simular to Shirow is Gasaraki.

Question Crossfocus: Are you more attracted to the hint of shiny machines, the hint of apocolapse/civilization in danger, or some of both?

All the best,

Nani?
CrossFocus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Shiny machines. I've been getting my hands in anything ulra sci-fi. It doesn't have to be mecha, though it usually turns out that way.

Thnx!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1