• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Vision of Escaflowne good?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
This show caught my eye so I'd like to know whether the show is worth getting or not. Also, should I get the movie?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
It's something you should definitely get. Of course, you could always rent some of it first and see if you think it's worth the purchase. The movie is kind of a love or hate thing. I personally like it, and many do, but there's just as many that really didn't find it likeable in the least. I would say buy the series, and maybe rent the movie to see what you think of it, if possible.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
It's something you should definitely get. Of course, you could always rent some of it first and see if you think it's worth the purchase. The movie is kind of a love or hate thing. I personally like it, and many do, but there's just as many that really didn't find it likeable in the least. I would say buy the series, and maybe rent the movie to see what you think of it, if possible.

I argee, the Visions of Escaflowne is definitely a must see series and it was one of the anime that really got me into anime. As for the movie... I was expecting an addition to the series and it was totally not what I expected nor wanted. I did not like the movie at all but you should watch the series first and later see the movie and compare.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
The series is Excellent. If fantasy is your thing and you don't mind a few mechs and out of place techonology, then I'm sure you'll like it. But don't try to make your own image after hearing the "fantasy with mechs" part. The story is actually pretty well written and the characters do a good job of developing over time. It's also very well balanced in that I feel it has both shounen and shoujo elements (in other words, a little action and a little drama).

I would recommend you check out the movie after the series, but before that happens I must inform you to NOT EXPECT THE MOVIE TO BE A SEQUAL OR SUPPLEMENT.

The movie was made 4 years after the end of the series, and if you happen to find the Ultimate Edition set there is an extras disc that has interviews with the production crew and Japanese cast explaining how they wanted to give off an "alternate reality" feel.

I say this because like other fans I didn't like the movie too much either when I first saw it, but seriously, those extras really changed my mindset and I now regard the movie as an Excellent stand alone piece by itself.

So, good luck and enjoy them both.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
The movie is exceptionally well-made, with good writing and some of the best music and production values you're going to see. A lot of fans of the series don't like it because it tells a completely different story than the series does (but with the same characters), but evaluated as a stand-alone piece I think it's excellent.

The series itself is a cross-breed between both shonen and shojo anime, so it can be equally appreciated by both genders. It is also a cross-breed between mecha, fantasy, and romance. I liked it a lot and do recommend it, but be wary of rabid fans. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I liked it a lot and do recommend it, but be wary of rabid fans. Smile

...like me. Embarassed

Seriously, I won't be able to provide you with a fair answer because I am completely biased; I adore Vision of Escaflowne almost beyond the realm of rational thought. If this show caught your eye, though (which I take as meaning you see aspects of the art/music/story elements which appeal to you already), you have nothing to fear, for the storytelling in the series is rock-solid. And the music is to die for.

I do like the movie, but as Tony K said, I would recommend watching the TV series first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:32 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
. And the music is to die for.

As is pretty much anything that Yokko Kanno is involved with. Wink
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne is one of my favorite series. I have the limited edition DVD set, and the series is one of the few titles that I can watch over and over again without getting bored. The great thing about the series is the complete lack of filler, the story starts out from the first episode and then keeps going all the way to the end. It plays out very much like a 12 hour movie, each new episode continuing the plot a little bit. You should definately check out the series, and after that the movie.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Vision of Escaflowne is great yes, one of the first couple series I watched in fact. It got one of my friends hooked on anime as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1