• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hetalia - series discussion.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
Sorry if there is already a thread on this-I searched through the forums and didn't find one, but I'm a total noob with bad vision so I may have missed it.

So, I'm interested in people's opinions on Hetalia, both of fans and non-fans. It seems to be a polarizing show.

On the one hand, and especially at first glance, it has the potential to be really offensive. Characters are meant to be stereotypes of countries, not to mention the fact that the majority of it takes place during WWII. This is not a show that I would ever admit to liking or watching to people who know little about anime. I wouldn't even want people seeing the title on my hard drive/browse cache/dvd shelf. And of course, the fanworks can get awkward if you think too hard about what you're looking at. Perhaps this is why so many people seem to hate the show?

On the other hand, the show itself is incredibly enjoyable, at least for me. It's the only comedy anime that I have actually found to be funny (a lot of anime humor doesn't really work for me). It has attractive male character designs, hints of BL, and an air of what I guess I'll call moe to some characters that makes people get attached to them. It's not really objectively good, but I love the show, and so do many others.

So let's open up the discussion. Do you like Hetalia? Why or why not? Do you have opinions on the dub? Do you participate in fan communities or not? Any other random thoughts? I think this could be a fun topic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1