• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of Five Leaves (Sarai-ya Goyou) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
House of Five Leaves

So, anyone impressed with this season's first noitaminA entry?

I like the style a lot so far; the character designs are... distinctive, I can see why people wouldn't like them. I'm not a huge fan, but it's part of the show's originality. Otherwise, I like the colour palette and the level of detail of the backgrounds is comparable to even movies like Kara no Kyoukai. And of course, I like the idea of a quirky slice of life in a historical setting.

Is it me or the ED doesn't fit the show at all? In fact, it's pretty unimpressive... I guess it's ok for them to save money on it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
I saw it, I don't know much of what to think, it is looked forward to, though maybe at we get told more soon about characters and become a bit more lively. I was kind of surprised that it may have already been picked up by Funimation.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Decent first episode. I hate the quality of streams, so I've no opinion on the art quality at this point. Character designs stand out, though I haven't decided yet if it is an endearing stand-out, or not... unfortunately, I may not even be able to decide based on stream quality.

The plot so far is nicely textured without actually standing out from the crowd. Which is not surprising only one episode into the show. Plenty of time to improve on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
Kinda doubt that it'll become more "lively", the series seems to proceed at its own pace.

As to the plot not standing out - what do you mean? I don't remember many (or any?) series about this period that would pretend to have a realistic approach to a ronin story.
Also, I wonder if this'll have a Yojimbo tribute.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I don't remember many (or any?) series about this period that would pretend to have a realistic approach to a ronin story.
Are you saying that Ronin didn't go around doing things like play baseball, or get followed by guys who wish to challenge them whom beat boxing fans.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
I hate the quality of streams, so I've no opinion on the art quality at this point. Character designs stand out, though I haven't decided yet if it is an endearing stand-out, or not... unfortunately, I may not even be able to decide based on stream quality.

Remember that it's also on Youtube AND Hulu.com. I watched it on Hulu, the quality was fantastic.

After watching it I also watched one of the the Zatoichi movies they have there (they are up to 18 films), I watched the third one, "New Tale of Zatoichi", which may be the series' most reflective and character driven film (he only kills about 20 bad guys). It was a good pairing.

So we get a story about people trying to find their place in the world, there's nothing bad about that. And this promises to be a good one.

I really like the design, it fits the series well. The characteristics of each person are etched right on their face.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bunnyhopper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
definitely looks interesting. The first episode wasnt enough for the art style to grow on me, but then again with Katanagari i didn't get use to it until about ep 2 either...

This show has potential
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
With the positive impression I get from people who have seen it, I'm considering following the simulcast, but I watched the preview first, but the faces! It looks like a piece of rubber stretched in an approximation to fit over a human skull. Some of the characters don't horrify me with their appearance, and general body shape didn't strike me as uncommon for anime, but the faces of some of them look like they're going to devour my soul.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Especially the woman. And that "She's beautiful" comment. Has to be the most powerful wtf factor this season.

DuskyPredator: Ronin isn't in my watched series, so no, I don't remember it Razz Unless I don't get what exactly you're referring to. Sure, Champloo had sort of the same direction (stylised approach to a period piece).
GARlock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I really, really liked the first episode. I was expecting more action, but I enjoyed the more mellow pace it's going at. As far as the character designs go, I really liked them and felt they fit the characters and setting. I can definitely understand why people wouldn't like them though.

I'm definitely gonna be following this and will probably check out the manga when it comes out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
DuskyPredator: Ronin isn't in my watched series, so no, I don't remember it Razz Unless I don't get what exactly you're referring to. Sure, Champloo had sort of the same direction (stylised approach to a period piece).
I was referring to Champloo, Jin was a ronin.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Interesting start to this series. I like the atmosphere, so right now I'm soaking it up. Still unclear as to the main stuff of the show (character analysis? Personal growth? Will Yaichi turn out to be more of a bad guy?).

As to the artwork, I'm digging it.
animalcalls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved it. Rarely do the first episodes of shows entice so much that I'm clamoring to see the next episode and convince me alone that I'm on-board for the show; usually it takes three episodes for me to warm up to a show and decided to continue it. This episode totally blindsided me and I loved every aspect of it: the art, the character designs, the pacing, and especially the characters themselves.

Really original stuff and I cannot wait for next week. So excited to see where this is going!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode two is up and running on the Funimation website (it now starts streaming at 12:15 pm, CST)

spoiler[The character designs didn't seem nearly as off-putting as the first episode and the background designs look lovely again. Fairly slow episode, we've been introduced to a few more characters and Akitsu seems to be shying away from the idea of working for the House of Five Leaves less. I'm betting he joins by episode five or so, anyone else have a guess?]
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I can't help but be worried that this show will get axed. Besides the ratings fiasco with the first episode, slow shows like this are slow to grab the demographics. Well, we'll see.
spoiler[
-Today was fairly uneventful but it's odd that I can still be into the show without a lot of stuff happening. It's clearly the character interactions that make up the meat of this show and there are not even a ton of those. However, what is presented on the table for some reason just catches my attention and I think that each episode is nice to watch. I'm not exactly "dying" to catch the next one like some of the other spring shows.

-That being said, when the hostage rolled out of the basket on Ume's back, I had a good fit of giggles.

-Is it me or as I'm getting more used to the art style, Otake-san is getting kind of attractive....]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4