• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Barnes & Noble Booksellers in Proxy Battle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Barnes and Noble is being put up for sale? Does this mean it will still be a bookstore? And if so, will they still carry the Barnes and Noble Classics series? I shop at Borders too, but that doesn't mean I want anything to happen to Barnes and Noble either.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Barnes and Noble is being put up for sale? Does this mean it will still be a bookstore? And if so, will they still carry the Barnes and Noble Classics series? I shop at Borders too, but that doesn't mean I want anything to happen to Barnes and Noble either.

Same here, comrade. Took the words right out of my mouth. Sad
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:

Yes and likely yes. All brick-and-mortar bookstores are currently suffering, but Barnes and Noble is still making money. The chain "putting itself up for sale" really means that a group of investors will take over controlling interest and then buy out every other shareholder. It's a move to save money by no longer having to pay out dividends. Nobody can predict the inventory changes the new management will affect, but it's a safe bet that the B&N Classics series will stick around. Printing titles that are in the public domain has been a money-making strategy for book publishers for decades.

The bad news for you is that Borders is hemorrhaging money and is quite possibly not long for this world. They've been announcing new rounds of lay-offs every few months and managers no longer appear to have the labor budgets required to replace workers who quit or provide incentives for employees to stay. Anecdotal, of course, but the Borders I frequent looks to have about half of the crew complement it was operating with two years ago.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Rocket Bomber had an excellent post about this. Explains a lot, I reckon.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
History does, indeed, repeat itself. It's like watching people fight over the ownership of record stores.

Quote:
...but that doesn't mean I want anything to happen to Barnes and Noble either.

I'm sure many feel this way, but one of them has to go. They're selling pretty much the same thing while competing with each other in a shrinking market.

The only thing missing is the "Bridge Out! Stop!" cartoon featuring two cars racing past the sign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1