• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Disney's Epcot Park Launches Anime/Folklore Exhibit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, and I just happened to leave Orland too.
chefneer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is interesting. The photo in the article certainly is. Considering their relationship with Ghibli, I suspect that they put some effort into this exhibit - it could be fascinating. I've never been to Epcot, perhaps I should do something about that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Funny story: I once got stuck right at the top of the ride inside the giant EPCOT Spaceship Earth golf ball, I mean, geosphere. The ride hit a snag, and we all had to get off and walk our way down. It wasn't easy - my car was tilted almost straight up. Laughing

Anyways, I remember where that anime exhibit would've been. Dunno when I'll have a chance to see it though....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Funny story: I once got stuck right at the top of the ride inside the giant EPCOT Spaceship Earth golf ball, I mean, geosphere. The ride hit a snag, and we all had to get off and walk our way down. It wasn't easy - my car was tilted almost straight up. Laughing

Anyways, I remember where that anime exhibit would've been. Dunno when I'll have a chance to see it though....

That ride is old, and thus breaks down constantly. I don't think you can do a cycle on it without it stopping at least once.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That ride is old, and thus breaks down constantly. I don't think you can do a cycle on it without it stopping at least once.

Actually I've been on it a bunch of times and its never stopped once for me (which is strange cause other rides are always breaking down while I'm on them).

I can't wait to see this exhibit! I've spent an entire day at Epcot just around the Japan area; I'm most interested to see just how they'll incorporate anime into it. Hopefully not by just a paragraph plaque explaining it, I want something more to look at.
Capella

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It's old but they did an update on it about a year or two ago for the Epcot Anniversary. I went on it not too long after they brought it back up and it ran pretty smoothly.

Anyways, I can't wait to see this new exhibit when I head out to Disney World during Thanksgiving Break.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the ride was shut down for an extended period of time while it was completely overhauled and a lot of the exhibit portions were revamped and updated.

The exhibit looks great though, and it's just one more excuse to plan a time to go down there sometime. I haven't been there since I was in 10th grade. About 5 years ago I was down there for my brothers wedding and we stayed off the Disney Mall which we visited a few times, but I never got a chance to go to the parks themselves on that trip.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Disney really dedicating the anime thing. I always wanted to go down to Disney Resort in Florida. Now after hearing this now it gives me more reason to go down there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Senna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a neat exhibit. I know enough about Japanese folklore to understand references in anime, but that's about it. If I got down to Disney in the next few years (unlikely), I would definitely check it out.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Great idea lets put up some Tezuka works like Jungle Taitei. Wopuld be cool if they added a Kitaro bit explaining Yokai ^-^
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
well I live 25 miles from Disney, and haven't been there in 12 years, but maybe I will check that out
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
That exhibit sounds really neat! I'm making a mental note to somehow get to Disney World in the next few years and check this out. I'd like to see Disney World anyway, so this would be icing on the cake.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Another bonus for when I hit the theme parks next week. Japan needed something in Epcot outside of a couple restaurants and the awesome Taiko drummers.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Actual breakdowns are pretty infrequent; 99% of the time, the short stops (the longest I've ever experienced in the dozens of times I've ridden it was maybe 2-3 minutes) are usually to allow disabled guests to get on and off, particularly guests who have to transfer to and from wheelchairs.

I'll have to make it a point to check out the new exhibit soon. It looks like it'll be pretty neat. The same thing has been in that space for so long that I usually don't bother to even go in.
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2