• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi on Blu-ray.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Hi guys, sorry if this has already been announced or addressed but, due to my location (Japan), I am unable to access the funimation website so I can't find out for myself.

My question is whether Mushishi is actually gonna get a Blu-ray release in North America or not? I got a leaflet in the Guyver Blu-ray set saying it was coming out on Blu-ray in April 2010 but it never did right?

Anyone know anything about this release? I'm dying to own this series on Blu-ray!
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
No, Guyver did come out on Blu-Ray back in the late spring; I did a review on it, in fact. I've heard nothing about Mushi-Shi getting that treatment, though. It wasn't a good-selling series, from what I've heard, so I'll be a little surprised if that happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No, Guyver did come out on Blu-Ray back in the late spring; I did a review on it, in fact. I've heard nothing about Mushi-Shi getting that treatment, though. It wasn't a good-selling series, from what I've heard, so I'll be a little surprised if that happens.

Funimation has milked the hell out of that series. They've done a new box set every year for the past 3 years. So either it is a good selling series, or they have a crapload of old stock discs they want to unload. I don't see how making a new SKU every year would help costs though. So I'm actually optimistic for a BD release. And to the OP, Mushi shi is out on Blu ray in Japan, so why don't you look for that version? Wink I kid.
Ahab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
We'll, I would do that of course but Japanese prices are ludicrous!
For example, the ENTIRE guyver series on BLU-RAY cost me 4000 yen to buy and import. Compare that with 25,000 yen for HALF the series on DVD and you'll know why I reverse import everything!! I mean, 50,000 yen for the entire show compared to 4000 yen??! And on Blu-ray too? You'd have to be insane to buy domestically if there's a BD release in America!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
From what I've heard, the Mushi-shi JP BD release is just a crappy upscale anyway. So you may as well stick to the DVDs.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

bummer. i'd love a north american Mushi-Shi on Blu-Ray. the award-winning backgrounds in that series are so awesome.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
From what I've heard, the Mushi-shi JP BD release is just a crappy upscale anyway. So you may as well stick to the DVDs.

Heard the same. And the damn thing is well over 200 bucks. Shocked . A lot of people ripped on Funi in the past for bad upscales. But there are definitely a number of terrible JP releases as well (and at ridiculous prices to boot).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Ahab wrote:
due to my location (Japan), I am unable to access the funimation website

Your ISP is blocking access to the website? (Or is Funi blocking access from Japanese I.P. addresses?) Either way, how about checking out these free proxy servers?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-shi has been released on Blu-ray, but it's only an upscale. The series was not produced in high definition.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
A number of FUNi's sites are blocked outside the US. In the UK I can access some series subsites, but not others (the video portal is completely inaccessible).

You can usually access the basic content of a page using Google's cache (ensuring you're using google.com not google.co.jp)

I can get to the Mushishi site (since FUNi has the UK rights) but it is flash-based. It doesn't mention blu-ray, just the Viridian box. FWIW, Mushishi hasn't had a SAVE release. I'm nor sure if this is a positive or negative though.

Ahab wrote:
We'll, I would do that of course but Japanese prices are ludicrous!
For example, the ENTIRE guyver series on BLU-RAY cost me 4000 yen to buy and import. Compare that with 25,000 yen for HALF the series on DVD and you'll know why I reverse import everything!! I mean, 50,000 yen for the entire show compared to 4000 yen??! And on Blu-ray too? You'd have to be insane to buy domestically if there's a BD release in America!

This is, unfortunately, why we can't have nice things - Japanese companies know people are doing this so will delay, deny or cripple US blu-ray releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
immortalrite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Mushi-shi has been released on Blu-ray, but it's only an upscale. The series was not produced in high definition.

From what I understand, everything which was originally digitally animated in SD is going to technically be an "upscale," so I'm not entirely sure why people were expecting something different. I have seen some screens from the Japanese Mushishi blu-ray side by side with my DVD's, and the difference is actually fairly negligible (and this is not always the case, especially with the older digitally animated SD shows like Fumoffu), which is unfortunate although not that surprising. It's too bad that Artland couldn't wait a couple years to animate Mushishi in high definition.
It is still strange how Funimation announced a blu-ray for this to ship back in April and then just kind of dropped it with apparently no explanation. Being my favorite show, I would still buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1