• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubbing studios getting voice actors from out of state.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Something is bothering a bit on my head. I was wondering how common is it for an anime dubbing studio get voice actors out of state to do a particular role (i.e. getting a voice actor from California into Texas where an anime series is dubbed) and why would a dubbing studio would do that. I know of a few California voice actors who work in Funimation dubs. Stephanie Sheh, for instance, mostly works in California. However, she got a voice acting role in Strike Witches. Strike Witches is dubbed in Texas (as expected with many Funimation dubs).

I'm asking this for two reasons. The first reason is being that I was mostly sharing my ideas for a Hetalia dub in many anime forums where James Arnold Taylor and Johnny Yong Bosch voices North Italy and America respectfully and most of the cast for the main characters I've thought up uses voice actors from California. Some people say that my ideas were impossible because the voice actors I've thought up work in California. James Arnold Taylor I could understand. Mr. Taylor mostly work at Hollywood and doesn't get a lot of anime roles due to legal/labor union issues. However, Johnny Yong Bosch did had a few roles in series that are licensed and dubbed in Texas (I think he had a role in Beck and Fullmetal Alchemist). And besides, I think Johnny Yong Bosch is the most appropriate choice to voice America for a Hetalia dub.

The second reason being is that I've noticed that Texas have a larger pool of anime voice actors than California. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing that Texan voice actors are less typecasted than Californian ones. But even so, would it be more convenient to use voice actors in your own state just to save time and money if there a larger pool of voice actors in the state? But I might be wrong in this statement.

But anyways, what are your reasons why a dubbing studio may want to get a voice actor out of state? On an optional side note, what are the chances of Johnny Yong Bosch and James Arnold Taylor getting the said roles for Hetalia despite the series being licensed by Funimation?
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
I know of a few California voice actors who work in Funimation dubs. Stephanie Sheh, for instance, mostly works in California. However, she got a voice acting role in Strike Witches. Strike Witches is dubbed in Texas (as expected with many Funimation dubs).

There aren't a lot of California dubs anymore. They may be moving for work. If Texas has lots of work and California has much less, why stay in California?

Funimation may also realize she is a fan favorite, and intergrating different fan favorites into their staff is a good idea. People complain about hearing the same 10 people, well now they can hear the same 20! Yippie!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
On an optional side note, what are the chances of Johnny Yong Bosch and James Arnold Taylor getting the said roles for Hetalia despite the series being licensed by Funimation?

I don't that is as much a "side note" as an "ulterior motive" since practically every post you make anywhere mentions at least one of those two at least once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
It all comes down to two questions:

"Do we want this actor for this part?"
and
"Is the added expense worth it?"

I remember a BECK panel at a con awhile back with Taliessin Jaffe and Greg Ayres. At one point in the casting process, people were saying "Wow, it'd be great if we had someone like Johnny Yong Bosch in this role." "Why don't we just get the actual Johnnu Yong Bosch?" "Okay!" And JYB was in the Beck dub. Sometimes out-of-state actors work out, sometimes they don't/ ADV tried to get Lisa Ortiz to come down to Houston from New York for the Slayers movies and OVAs, but the expense was too great.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It all comes down to two questions:

"Do we want this actor for this part?"
and
"Is the added expense worth it?"

I remember a BECK panel at a con awhile back with Taliessin Jaffe and Greg Ayres. At one point in the casting process, people were saying "Wow, it'd be great if we had someone like Johnny Yong Bosch in this role." "Why don't we just get the actual Johnnu Yong Bosch?" "Okay!" And JYB was in the Beck dub. Sometimes out-of-state actors work out, sometimes they don't/ ADV tried to get Lisa Ortiz to come down to Houston from New York for the Slayers movies and OVAs, but the expense was too great.

I think you do made a few valid points. While it is true that getting out-of-state voice actors is generally more expensive (like buying a plane ticket for the voice actor to get to the state where the dubbing takes place), I think it would come to the expense whether or not the extra is worth it for the voice actor's talent. Sometimes, there are might be ANY voice actors in the state that might not be capable for the role. But I would say that it is worth it for Funimation to get Johnny Yong Bosch voicing America for a Hetalia dub. I mean, I really can't think of any Texan voice actor who can pull off America's catch phrase "I'll be the hero" line better than Bosch.

But then again, you say that sometimes getting a voice actor from out-of-state may backfire. I think it depends of the fan support of having a particular actor to have a particular role. I'm guessing getting Lisa Ortiz to come down to Houston to get a role in Slayers movies and OVA was too expensive was maybe because there weren't a lot of fan support, or maybe not a lot of people bought the DVDs and other related merchandise.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Sometimes out-of-state actors work out, sometimes they don't/ ADV tried to get Lisa Ortiz to come down to Houston from New York for the Slayers movies and OVAs, but the expense was too great.
Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what the sales were like for those movies and OVAs? I've gotten the impression that the Slayers fanbase kinda loves Lisa Ortiz as Lina.

On the question of why would a studio want an out-of-state actor, I'd say that the main reason would be because that particular VA fits the part. The next issue I'd say would be major fan support. I know that with the new seasons of Slayers, Funimation just plain outsourced the dubbing to get as many of the original English VAs back as possible. Stephanie Sheh being hired for Strike Witches and Laura Bailey for Soul Eater (she moved to California from Texas not too long ago.) show that someone thought they'd be good in their roles or would bring in a fanbase.

Stephanie Sheh's actually done some work with Funimation before, both in dubbing and in production, though on a relatively small scale. With the declining workload for anime VA work in California, maybe some VAs who want to stay in this kind of work are just more willing to commute or something.

On the question of getting Johnny Yong Bosch and/or James Arnold Taylor for Hetalia, that's an issue I can't really answer. If there are a lot of fans calling for those actors, and if they want to do the role and can negotiate things satisfactorialy, then I'd say it's possible. However, fan support would need to be pretty hefty and FAST. Especially with Taylor as his filmography seems very slim on anime.

JYB is already an anime VA so he is much more likely I'd say but again, it would require either casting already having him in mind or the fanbase being very vocal about getting him.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:

There aren't a lot of California dubs anymore. They may be moving for work. If Texas has lots of work and California has much less, why stay in California?

California has a good supply for voice over work not just Anime dubs.
As well as general acting.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
sailorsarah08 wrote:

California has a good supply for voice over work not just Anime dubs.
As well as general acting.

Well Canada is in the declining doing VA work even still they do dubbing, but their has gotten bad since then. Scott Mcneil is still working on Naruto Shippuden Dub as spoiler[Tobi, next week is his debut in California dubbing, but still the everyone is affected by this even Texas and California in this economy. But for Voice Acting this should be an gain an for them in months, If the anime industry in america step up. Already I do see Canadians heading down to Texas and California to do anime roles or acting that would be necessary for them and they want to raised the better way possible in money and finances.

It's really going to be an great year in VA works both Texas and California.]
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Scott McNeil crossed over to Texas from Canada to do FMA's Hohenheim Elric, the father of Ed and Al. Also, Matthew Erickson moved from Calgary's Blue Water Studios(where he dubbed roles for their dubs of Banner of the Stars as Jinto) and he moved on to Vnacouver's Ocean Studios to voice roles in their anime dub productions, dubbing the role of Gundam SEED Destiny's Shinn Asuka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1