• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which mechs do you feel have least/most advanced tech?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
and by anime mechs, i mean the star military mechs of the anime, so no civilan mechs please. and i'm asking for your opiniion on the most technologically advanced mechs, not necessarily the most powerful ones.

least advanced: patlabor's ingram units, and gasaraki's tactical armor units

most advanced: prolly gundam seed's gundam mechs, the nu gundam due to the psychoframe system
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
For most advanced tech, Orbital Frames from Zone of the Enders. While the anime isn't very revealing in this fact, these robots are made out of a self regenerating metal, capable of self improvement, can warp SPACE by itself to create a pocket dimension, just to store ammunition and also becomes self aware if enough gets together.

Least advanced? A toss up between VOTOM'S Scopedog, or Ingram's from Patlabor. Both are probably the most basic of basics in terms of performance and overall tech needed to keep them up.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm no mech expert, but I have an opinion on this. I just hope I don't offend the die hard mech fans around here.

Well, my favorite mech designs are Zoids. I've always loved the idea of mechs in the shape of animals that have giant guns on them.

But the most advanced designs I've seen are the Gundams from G-Gundam. The fact that the giant robot moves when and how you move is amazing in my eyes. I know a lot of Gundam fans hate that series, but I think it's much more captivating to watch the pilot physically move it than pressing a bunch of buttons and moving some joystick-things.

Least advanced....I have no clue. I don't watch a lot of mech, so I can't really call one "inferior" because they all look pretty sweet to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say the most advanced Mecha ever is the Ideon from Space Runaway Ideon. It can cut through a planet with its "infinite length sword", has a black-hole gun, and its self-destruct spoiler[pretty much destroys the universe.] For those reasons it is also one of the most powerful Mecha.

The most powerful Mecha ever could well go to the RahXephon from the Anime of the same name. It did spoiler[re-write reality after all,] which far exceeds what Unit 01 from NGE managed to achieve.

The Mecha which inflicts the highest death toll of sentient life is either spoiler[Zearth] from Bokurano or the aforementioned Ideon. Depends on if the death toll has to be because of direct actions (therefore Ideon), or whether indirect actions can be included (therefore spoiler[Zearth, which indirectly destroyed something like fourteen dimensions.]

But anyway, back to your question. In terms of the most advanced Mecha in the Gundam franchise, the Turn A and Turn X are easily the strongest. The Turn A for example:

- can teleport
- can teleport its own attacks, including directing them inside enemies
- can make its own physical ammo and missiles out of virtually anything using nanotechnology
- can repair itself using nanotechnology
- has incredibly strong armour, even by Gundam standards; normal ammunition apparently cannot damage it
- has an I-field to make it all-but invincible against ranged beam weapons, including your usual colony beam cannon or superlaser
- possesses an anti-nuke field
- is armed with a beam rifle that is more powerful than a UC colony beam cannon
- is equipped with Moonlight Butterfly, which at 100% can reach Jupiter
- some other stuff I forget

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't want to add this but what the heck...?

I'll say the Mechs in Gurren Lagann for the reason that it kicks reason to the curb?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
In a competition of reason, an unreasonable Mecha is going to come last . . .
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
The Mortar Headds from the Five Star Stories universe are quite advanced. They are made from a combination of both organic and inorganic materials, and some have been known to be almost sentient. A few of the Mortar Headds are capable of teleportation.

I'd have to agree with the others that have mentioned that the labors of the Patlabor universe are one of the least advanced pieces of mecha.
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
For most advanced tech, Orbital Frames from Zone of the Enders. While the anime isn't very revealing in this fact, these robots are made out of a self regenerating metal, capable of self improvement, can warp SPACE by itself to create a pocket dimension, just to store ammunition and also becomes self aware if enough gets together.

lol true true, i forgot about the mechs from ZOE, as i haven't played zoe2 in the longest time (awesome game btw)

in the anime dolories, iirc, the main mech dolores has an ai installed (a kiddy one at that lol)
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and by anime mechs, i mean the star military mechs of the anime, so no civilan mechs please. and i'm asking for your opiniion on the most technologically advanced mechs, not necessarily the most powerful ones.

Hmmm, strictly from a technological viewpoint I'd have to say that the most advanced would have to be the Motar Heads from Five Star Stories.
They are shown to be very advanced biomechanical mecha which require the use of both a Headlinner(super-soldier pilot) and a Fatimas (android pilot) because a normal human cannot pilot one.

Without the combination of Headlinner and Fatimas-copilot the machine is too advanced for use. The weaponry and speed of the machines (like the Led Mirage for example) are considerable in the anime and they appear to be more advanced than anything I've yet seen in Gundam, although SEED does come pretty darn close as does Gundam 00.
I know of no Gundam that has Faster Than Light capability while the run of the mill Led Mirage does (the Led Mirage is like a GM-Gundam or Gelgoog in that its a limited mass production unit).
More advanced than the Mortar Headds are the Machine Messiah mecha.

I assumed by "star military mecha" the OP meant mass production machines like Gundam, Macross, Full Metal Panic, etc. Not the super-duper-civilian machines like Grandaizer or Mazinger, or Big-O, Dangaio, Hades Project Zeoymer, or any of the "divine-robot-clan" of mega-mecha. Perhaps I was wrong?

The least advanced would have to be the machines from the old Dougram anime.
They were little more than tanks with legs and had conventional weapons and armor. Much like a Zaku from Gundam (which could probably kill the most advanced Dougram).

Last edited by Gideon Krieg on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Guys, no offense, but unless you can think of something more advanced than the Turn A or Ideon, any further discussion is moot.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
I would also point a finger in the direction of GL. It is hinted that it is essentialy a mech that spoiler[reacts with human emotion and instinct on the supposed quantum level.] And draws it's power from a force so intregal to the universe that it spoiler[created life itself.]

Admittedly this is seen by many as a giant Deus Ex Machina for allowing their mech to do just about anything it wants to however this I believe is the point. If mech's were swords then a gundam would be a monomolecular edge laser sword capable of cutting through any substance. But the mech from GL would be like (and I hope you get the reference) Dak'kon's Zerth blade from Planescape:Torment which was supposedly capable of cleaving reality in two if the will behind it was sufficient. This I believe puts the GL mech right up there with thespoiler[ reality morphing antics] of the RahXephon (I did love that series too) and it would be very difficult for me to decide between them.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
The least advanced I can say with absolute certainty are the ones from the Robot Carnival segment 'Tale of Meiji Machines'. I expect you can all put together why this is true just from the title.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
I don't know a lot about mechs, but probably the most, well I guess "sophisticated" might be the word, I say maybe Gurren Lagann. Just try explaining being able to get power from human emotion spoiler[fuze with other mechs, regenerate, teleport by drilling through space and many of the other crazy things.]
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm far from knowledgeable on this - I'm really not much of a fan of mecha titles at all. But if I had to pick most advanced, I would say the mechs of Gurren Lagann for the reasons that everyone has already listed.

Least advanced? For me that award goes to the Dai-Guard of...well, Dai-Guard. It probably was pretty advanced when they made it but that thing may as well be held together by duct tape by the time it's used in the show. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Here's an interesting comparison.
Since I was looking over the Power Outputs of various mecha discussed in this thread I think it fair to compare the Turn A/X power output (what the mecha has at its disposal in terms of Kilowatts/Horsepower) and that of the Led Mirage (since it's stats are readily available).

According to Mahq's website, the Turn A has an output of 27,000 kW (kilowatts) and the Turn X has a power output of 68,000 kW. That's 36207.6387 horsepower for Turn A, and 91189.6086 horsepower for the Turn X respectively (you can find the Kilowatt to horsepower conversion at the American Machinist site)
Both of those machines use fusion reactors according to Mahq (which takes their data from Hobby Japan, the movie/manga books, etc. and is normally accurate).

The Led Mirage has a horsepower output of 3,300,000,000,000 which converts to 2,460,806,700,000 Kilowatts of power.
The point of this comparison is that while the Turn A and Turn X are shown to have abilities that are extraordinary their power output-to-ability doesn't make any sense.
The Led Mirage is capable of limited teleportation using it's Elasyer system which allows for nearly instantaneous maneuvering.
The point? That it is difficult to compare mecha from different universes because they often don't follow the same rules.

The mecha from Xenosaga (which became an anime) are godlike in many respects. Look at Kosmos, she's a living machine with Uber-powers that border on the metaphysical. The E.S. mecha like the Dinah for example, can teleport, use Ether abilities, fly through hyperspace, you name it.

Comparing mecha in a carte blanche fashion is disingenuous at best because the "Laws of Physics" the anime/Sci-Fi writer sets down for his/her world will be different than someone else's.

It's the old Star Wars technology verses Star Trek technology argument that has no conclusion or solution since the two are mutually exclusive.

Not too mention that within anime there are different levels of mecha.

1) The military style (like Gundam, Macross, and Five Star Stories)
2) The Super-Robot types (like Mazinger, Dangaio, Big-0, etc.)
3) The Divine Robot Types (like Evangelion, Ideon, Gurren Lagann, Golion [Voltron in the US]).
There are subtypes and crossovers to be sure, but in general those appear to be the three basic types.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4