• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most unexpected 2009 anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
What are the animes you guys didn't expect to excel/fail beyond your wildest expectation of 2009?

EXCEL

Kemono no Shouja Erin ( eye opening episode 7 )

FAIL

Cannan ( declines steadily after uber good first episode )

I know many people are dissapointed by 2009 suzumiya haruhi, but i personally enjoy the "endless eight" arc. Never before any anime could put us into the exact same situation the characters in the anime are in. We cant expect to experience the thrill of death note, the sadness of Clannad, or ride Gundams but we can be forced to wait and repeat 15000 of the same week without knowing if this is going to be the last. This series actually is better experienced if we have to watch it on TV because we cant actually fast forward to the final 3 mins just to check and rewind if we want, nor can we just wait for people to tell us if it ends. If you missed it and thats the last week of the loop, kiss good bye to your 1st hand experience of the series.

If this post is not allowed because its similar to top10/worst5 sticky, please by all means lock it. Im trying to know what people didn't expect not find the best 10 that everyone would have expected or know (example: Clannad AS, K-ON, Eden of the East or Bakemonogatary).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The Anime that excelled way past expectations:

Kimi ni Todoke

No surprise here. This show is currently my favourite airing Anime. I don't watch Romance Anime much, but I was looking around and read the premise of this show and thought, "Looks okay, I'll give it a try". I wasn't blown away by the first episode, or even the second. But after the third episode I was hooked.

The Anime that unexpectedly disappointed:

Aoi Bungaku

I was really looking forward to this show, because it looked like a mature title (and no, not "adult" mature). However I dropped it after two episodes. The main character of the first arc was just so inaccessible I couldn't relate to him. Given that most of the show's substance was just his emotionally distant narration, I couldn't be bothered to go on. If only they had included a proper plot, but then the show was supposed to be in a short story style.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi 2009. You see, my expectations were quite low for this one, I was just interested in something near the level of the first one at least. But it didn't reach that level, rather, all the repetition was a waste and I certainly skipped them. The remaining episodes got me pissed off, so that didn't work out either. So, yes, it was the most unexpected.

Another show I almost dropped after 20 seconds watching, but gave it another chance and ended up being one of the most enjoyable this season was Trapeze. It caught me off-guard, no doubt, and it was the show I looked forward the most along with other 3.

Aoi Bungaku on the other hand, never gave me a trashy feeling, I never expected anything either, and in the end it was one of said 3. I disliked 2 arcs, the Cherry Blossom and the Hell one; though both had its enjoyable moments, but I disliked the overall. Run Melos was an excellent arc though, along with the first. After all, the show was unexpectedly good, since I practically set my hopes at minus.

Spice and Wolf got me sick of Holo quite fast, though I wasn't expecting much when it came out. Actually, I didn't even know about this second season until it aired. It was surprisingly better than I thought, but at some point I let the fanbase get to my head and started despising it, though I'm sure I got over it. Definitely a pleasant unexpected season that was.

I believe K-ON! was 2009 too? Man, my memory is so weak. Yes, I thought it was a kiddy show at first, because of the young characters(lol). By the time I began watching it, about 9 episodes were out so far and I basically raided them. Probably my first time to come across moe unknowingly, hell, I didn't even know what moe meant until 4 months ago(yes, long after I finished K-ON!). And sincerely, that's a term I shouldn't have learnt about it. Kyaaaa! Wink
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
EXCEL

Kemono no Shouja Erin

The first episodes make it look like a run-of-the-mill story, but after episode 7 it starts getting better and better. Apart from Nukku and Mukku, every character is great and interesting to watch.

FAIL

Sweeter than Pink

I never thought it would change into a magic girl series with a bland main character.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
FAIL

Sweeter than Pink

I never thought it would change into a magic girl series with a bland main character.

True. Not just did they turn Hei into an aggressive pedophile, drunkard, and unshaven savage, but they also came up with a 9 years old magical-girl and her 10 centimeter vibrating magical rod. I'm now forced to lick all the dust off my mouse and shout at the cockroaches roaming around my bedroom and command them to attack the creators of Pinker Than Light Pink and force them to practise some sort of black magic ritual to erase this season off the face of the fake Earth, and then finally have the budget for a remake of a second season without a 10-centimeter-vibrating-magic-wand menstruating magical-girl. Said 10-centimeter-vibrating-pink-magic-wand menstruating magical-girl is apparently occupying the space reserved for my avatar, so I'll take the liberty of spitting all over my screen while laughing at her face for being so magical-girl like, and having a 10-centimeter-vibrating-pink with socketed candy-enchanted with +10 magical power and +20 intellect-shadow-magic-rod. Mars™ chocolate milkshake.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go with K-On! for the unexpected anime of 2009. Then again, I just got into anime again (I had stopped for a good 5 years) just when I went to Japan and K-On! was airing. So...my vote doesn't mean much, because K-On! was the first current anime I saw.

As for disappointment, Umineko. Definitely. The hype it had to live up to to reach Higurashi was very high (my favorite of all time, btw), but with the plot they had, it sounds like they could have done it, IF they had added some key scenes and slowed the plot down.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
Excel
Guin Saga
As most of my favourites it started with a screenshot. I've never heard about it before, but I had a taste for classical heroic fantasy story, so I gave it a chance.
Kingdoms and nations with their own gods and culture, beautiful princesses, brave warriors with shining swords, magic and mystery are part of the history. Pathos leaks from screen and fall to the floor. Epic- as I like.

Fail
Axis Power Hetalia
As a manga fan I was looking forward to seeing the animation. The first episodes were as good as I expected, but something went wrong- maybe too much yaoi? I have an impression that it was much more stronger than comic Confused Fail. Even not epic.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Unexpected
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - given Bee Train's recent track record, I never expected this show to be as good as it was. the writing was great, and the action scenes were also well done. this might be my favorite show of 2009.

Fail
Shangri-La -damn did this show crash and burn hard. for the kind of talent that was involved, I am astounded that this show turned out as horrible as it did.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Surprise Success
Taisho Baseball Girls- I was hesitant to pick up this title given how I couldn't get through K-ON using a school activity as a backdrop to show off the personality quirks of the female team members. But while not perfect, Taisho had surprised me as I was entertained with its decent use of the 1920s Japan setting and seeing the improvements of the girl's baseball team throughout the series.

Biggest Fail
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0- Considering Bones was behind this title, I was expecting great visuals and a story that would suck me into the struggles faced during an earthquake. But I got neither of that with this title. Character designs and scenery were on the plain side. Those in the earthquake looked rather disconnected from the tremors and damage that went on throughout the city. Plus, Mari's never ending optimism with the kids did wonders at making me wonder why this title was being touted a "realistic simulation" by Bones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Biggest Fail
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0- Considering Bones was behind this title, I was expecting great visuals and a story that would suck me into the struggles faced during an earthquake. But I got neither of that with this title. Character designs and scenery were on the plain side. Those in the earthquake looked rather disconnected from the tremors and damage that went on throughout the city. Plus, Mari's never ending optimism with the kids did wonders at making me wonder why this title was being touted a "realistic simulation" by Bones.

Although Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was not as good as everyone thought it would be, I on the hand hand, still was happy to view an anime with such an unique storyline. I loved the character interactions and i was satisfied with the ending. There are not many other animes that are as good as Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, so i was happy to witness it.
Even knowing the ending beforehand, i was still shocked and l had the same emotions as when i read the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
TJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Surprise disappointments

CANAAN

Hot studio (P.A. Works), high-profile director (Masahiro Ando), up-and-coming writing star (Mari Okada), and a ton of promotional hype. While the show certainly looked sweet, I didn't expect the content to be so uninspired and shallow. It's as if the staff were so assured of the project's success (it definitely has the markings of a summer Hollywood flick in both good and bad ways) that they didn't take it seriously enough.

Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

Great story ruined by awful cinematography and a mechanical script adaptation style.

Haruhi

I had already tempered expectations given the change in some key staff and in KyoAni's declining attention to quality (still good but nowhere as polished as before). Nonetheless, no one managed to predict Endless Eight.

Surprise Delights

Shakugan no Shana S Episode 1

While I expected to enjoy this, I've always found the series to be inconsistent in both script quality (generally declined in Season 2) and direction (generally improved in Season 2 but was still messy in places).

This OVA volume blew away all my expectations and could well be the best executed episode to date.

---------------------------

That's about it for me. Generally, the shows I expected to enjoy turned out well, while the ones I expected to fail (Umineko....) turned out poorly.
guet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Biggest win:
Bakemonogatari
A fantastic-looking series that has a unique format, great characters, an interesting story, and a few twists I didn't expect. My only complaint is the slow speed of the last few episodes being released.

Biggest Dissapointment:
Kiddy Girl And:
The show seems to be getting better now, but the start of the series is almost unwatchable, with little action, annoying characters, no plot, and nothing even close to what made Kiddy Grade entertaining. The series has a transgender character, a "boys love" episode, and a little girl who has to kiss people to activate her power... it can't even decide on what group of "fan" it wants to target.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kiddy Girl And -

I agree with that. This show was quite bad, and besides the character design I just can't see anything good anymore, but the first episodes were fairly funny though. I though it was going to be 12 episodes, but it's apparently 24, so it's still a long trip... I'm speechless.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Super Duper Success

Most Definetly K-on I jut stumbled upon an anime about high school girls that form a band I was like ok I have time, I like pop-rock lemme give it a try and by the opening of the second episode I was singing along and totally hooked.

In terms of Fail I dont really have any I tend to avoid watching what I wouldnt enjoy so thank goodness for that. Just for the recod I think gettin to see Nagato , Asahina-san and Haruhi in different swimsuits 8 times was a blast Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
kiddtic wrote:
In terms of Fail I don't really have any I tend to avoid watching what I wouldnt enjoy so thank goodness for that. Just for the recod I think gettin to see Nagato , Asahina-san and Haruhi in different swimsuits 8 times was a blast Very Happy

I know they are Japanese teenage girls and therefore probably complete shopaholics, but who has eight different swimsuits?

I suppose Haruhi Season 2 is such that either you are going to spot every single flaw or none at all. It is hard to think of a more divisive title, at least recently. Maybe Code Geass R2?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3