• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horrible horrible anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
For some reason this same thread was deleted over at Animenation.

This is for anime so bad it should've never been made, anime that is nothing more than a commercial for it's Merchandise or bastardizes the manga to the point of terribleness or just anime that has nothing redeemable about it.

Here are my pics for horrid anime

Cyber Team in Akihabra-There is nothing NOTHING redeemable about this show. Annoying product plug (did they even sell petapi's? feels like they were trying to) annoying cast. Cleche' after cleche' it was just painful to watch.

Zoids (all of it)- Boring show with a mountain of toys.

Pokemon- First of all I hate Nintendo. The fact that there is so much Merchandise and little substance to the actual show make it un watchable

Kare Kano- How do you ruin a pretty straight foward teenage love story?
Get the Eva staff to do it. This show proves that the People at Gainax........are on drugs.

G Gundam Gundam Seed-G Gundam is just a Blah show and Gundam Seed is boring.

Yugioh- Cards, Video games, Toys how much do you hear about the actual show? The Show is boring pokeesque gibberish too

Last edited by MichiyoYoshiku on Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps you haven't read our rules before posting then, about no list threads. Unless you back up each claim with an extensive reason, then this thread will also be deleted.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Consider it done
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
Consider it done

I don't see it. "Blah" and "boring" aren't reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
OTP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
Pokemon- First of all I hate Nintendo.

Please, explain. Are you too "cool" for Nintendo? Is Nintendo too "kiddy" for you?

Anyway, yeah, saying nothing but, "This show is crap," really isn't backing up your claim.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Well Seed I find boring with Chracters that aren't as interesting compared to wing same with G Gundam only it has more melodrama than it should have for a show with the premise of world fighting should have.

As for Pokemon-it's the same formula. Ash gets pokemon,Ash Gets Badge, Ash trains new pokemon ash gets badge again. Ash gets into adventure season ends repeat. Everything from Bayblade to Yugioh follow a formula like this.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Please, explain. Are you too "cool" for Nintendo? Is Nintendo too "kiddy" for you?

I hate Nintendo for their unscrupulous business practices,(want to carry our product? Then you can't carry anyone else's!) the residules of which eventually forced Sega out of the hardware business, and for trying to use the US Congress to step on their competition, emboldening one Sen. Joseph R. Lieberman to begin his video game witch hunt, which then bled into other media.

I have never bought a Nintendo system, and I never will. I will never forgive them...for the death of my Master System.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I hate Nintendo for their unscrupulous business practices,(want to carry our product? Then you can't carry anyone else's!) the residules of which eventually forced Sega out of the hardware business, and for trying to use the US Congress to step on their competition, emboldening one Sen. Joseph R. Lieberman to begin his video game witch hunt, which then bled into other media.

I have never bought a Nintendo system, and I never will. I will never forgive them...for the death of my Master System.
Bulghod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo's problem is that they've never created a new platform, a new series, an original game, since SNES

a horrible horrible anime?
Kimera. it's the 80's bloodgore involving a weird transsexual (can be either male or female) that is trying to spread it's demon seed. The kind of stuff they use to make fun of on MST3K
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
philg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I've only got one: Arjuna, or Earth Girl Arjuna. Reason, because it basically copied every single anime I've seen. I guess if it was the first anime series that i ever saw, then I'd probably LOVE it. because it's got good graphics, good themes, good characters and everything. It's just that it stole off all my favourite movies and series!
I just thought of one more, but this not as much. I saw only the DVD 1 of the TV series of Samurai Girl: Real Bout Highschool, it wasn't THAT bad i guess, but still it lacked that certain thing that most good anime have. It just seemed to me that there was no reason this anime was made, there's just a bizarre plot and even more bizarre characters plonked into one show. Maybe that's what people like but, it doesn't appeal to me.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:

Come now. Are you going to let the business practices of a faceless company keep you from enjoying some of the greatest games ever made? Miyamoto is a genius game designer/producer and you shouldn’t let the shenanigans of Hiroshi Yamaguchi and gang deprive you of the fruits of his labour.

Personally I wouldn’t care if Nintendo sacrificed 500 virgin brides to Satan each year on Yamaguchi’s birthday to prolong his life and ensure success for Nintendo. I would still play their games and enjoy them just that much more for the refreshing virgin blood.

[quote=”Bulghod”]Nintendo's problem is that they've never created a new platform, a new series, an original game, since SNES

I think you are mistaking not having created a new game mascot for not having created a new game. Sure Nintendo is still making games with the same mascots such as Mario, Zelda and Metroid but if you actually paid any attention you would notice that all these games went trough huge changes being converted into 3D. Nintendo basically wrote the guidebook on how to successfully bring your 2D franchise into the world of 3D gaming. Many, many, many other developers failed miserably trying to do the same and the ones who succeeded basically just copied Nintendo.

And have you pray say, heard of a little gem called Pikmin or Eternal Darkness perhaps? Yeah, yeah I know that Silicon knights made one but I am willing to bet my entire small fortune that if Nintendo hadn’t been involved in its production it would have seriously sucked and the same goes for Metroid. Nintendo is still making the best games around and they are just as bit as innovative and new thinking as they have always been.

All the sickening fanboy talk about the “good old days” is seriously giving me a headache. I have been playing games since the “good old days” and let me tell you this; if anything games have gotten better since then.
Bulghod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

[quote=”Bulghod”]Nintendo's problem is that they've never created a new platform, a new series, an original game, since SNES

I think you are mistaking not having created a new game mascot for not having created a new game. Sure Nintendo is still making games with the same mascots such as Mario, Zelda and Metroid but if you actually paid any attention you would notice that all these games went trough huge changes being converted into 3D. Nintendo basically wrote the guidebook on how to successfully bring your 2D franchise into the world of 3D gaming. Many, many, many other developers failed miserably trying to do the same and the ones who succeeded basically just copied Nintendo.

And have you pray say, heard of a little gem called Pikmin or Eternal Darkness perhaps?

All the sickening fanboy talk about the “good old days” is seriously giving me a headache. I have been playing games since the “good old days” and let me tell you this; if anything games have gotten better since then.[/quote]

good point with Pikmin. completely forgot about that.

I just kinda find it hard to see nintendo to bring in new audiences with Samus, Mario, Donkey Kong (Konga Excluded).
meanwhile peoples take the GTA and the Halo to other systems, bringing in something new, fresh, and something those young kids will go look at and say, "hey this seems cool" instead of "oh woah, Mario Tennis. Mario Golf, Mario Accountancy" That's my schtick right there. and again, good point with Pikmin.

P.S.
everyone talks about the "good ole days" because people were easier to please back then. Short of veterans and Auschwitz survivors, very few people will look at the past with a sense of happiness, nostalgia, because times seemed simpler, and happier back then. people are nostalgic because it seemed easier, it's a part of life, and the foundation of VH1.

P.P.S
Why is everyone here so angry? it's not like anything said here holds any importance, or is essentially going to matter. It's pointless chatter for the sake of entertainment.

P.P.P.S.
heh heh, PP, heh heh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:
[Please, explain. Are you too "cool" for Nintendo? Is Nintendo too "kiddy" for you?

I wish they'd do a game every now & then that wasn't a massive mascot whore, but that aside I personally don't hold too much against them (well, aside from their absolutely horrendous treatment of third-party developers, which SoW's got about covered).

MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
Well Seed I find boring with Chracters that aren't as interesting compared to wing same with G Gundam only it has more melodrama than it should have for a show with the premise of world fighting should have.

You honestly found Wing's characters more interesting that SEED & G? Honestly, I regard Wing's characters as the most stale in all of Gundam (and most anime, in general). They sit & stagnate for some forty episodes, without any development (or even base personality at all in about half the cases), and most of the development that does happen is completely random & nonsensical (even if he is one of the few characters I remember somewhat fondly, I'm completely lost on spoiler[Zechs' utterly random "oh, by the way I'm the villain now" turn at the end of the series, and then even more bizarre "hey I'm a good guy again!" act in Endless Waltz]).

G Gundam I found was strongest in its characters; I felt the corny backdrop of a Mecha Martial Arts Olympics was aided greatly by the strong, surprisingly well-written personalities. And SEED, while not on the epicly thorough level of the Amuro/Char region of Gundam, had some of the stronger and more fleshed out characters of the franchise. Kira, Athrun, Lacus, Fllay, etc. genuinely matured and changed through the series, and I found them fascinating to watch. They didn't just float around and spout off pseudo-intellectual BS for forty episode while accomplishing nothing else of worth like Wing's cast.

Anyway, beyond the usual "children's merchandising blitz" shows people tend to target in these threads (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Zoids, Beyblade...), some of the stuff I've come to despise over the years includes...

Alexander Senki - Otherwise known as Reign: The Conqueror, most people just hate it for Peter Chung's character designs (by the way, to curb confusion, he didn't direct or produce the show, he was strictly the character designer...even if the horrific script did scream "vintage Chung," it wasn't him, this time Laughing ). However, the utter lack of character development for anyone but Alexander, bizarre, underdeveloped subplots that took the characters out of whatever little development they did get (the great chicken of the group suddenly trying to assassinate Alexander?), and the fact that an otherwise excellent story of political intrigue was blasted apart by utter garbage trying to pass itself off as "high brow" and "intelligent" (so you guys like playing with prisms, great, get back to the war with Persia!) are what ruined it for me.

Galerians: Reon - This was apparently based on a video game or something...which shows in the PS1-quality computer graphics, for definite sure. The animation was utterly atrocious on this piece of garbage, and the deformed, stiff, hideous character designs (again, looking like either some crappy video game cutscene circa 1996 or some animation student's first attempt at Maya) didn't help in the least. Beyond that, the script was virtually nonsensical, eclipsed only by the terribly-written characters. None of it was at all focused, not that I was able to care after the first ten minutes.

Gungrave - One of the three big shows I hate with a passion that everyone else in the universe seems to adore (don't worry, I get to the other two right after this). In the early parts of the series, when it was a biographical Mafia tale of two best friends, I felt the series actually had promise. It wasn't great, but it had all the tools to get there with sufficient character development, servicable visuals, and the promise of some sort of nice "supernatural redemption" angle later on. Unfortunately, by the time the first majour villain rolled around (Blood War, or whatever the devil his name was), it all began to fall apart. Firstly, the utterly inane "zombie mafia army" bit started to develop, which just seemed like a stupid idea to me (spoiler[yes, it's how Brandon Heat comes back as Beyond the Grave, but there were better solutions they could've used without bringing in generic, stock "bad guy type" monsters]). And then the more that angle developed, the more it dragged the show down. spoiler[Suddenly every single character that was introduced prior is turning into some bizarre monster for no reason whatsoever (the intelligence man becoming a floating purple blob? Bear Walken becoming some ridiculous monster samurai? PLEASE!), effectively forsaking all their prior development, and the ending is so anticlimactic that it pretty much renders all the events in the series thus far essentially moot. And the whole angle with Maria's jailbait "faux-lolicon" daughter (she's 12 or 13 and looks 19 easy!) just seemed to go nowhere...way to waste an entire "main character."]

Love Hina - I hear people defend this show all the time by saying "the manga is great," but that still doesn't excuse the anime from being utter tripe. The story is essentially a giant setup for one unfunny fanservice joke after another (actually, more like taking the same setup & delivery and recycling it over 26+ episodes!), all revolving around some of the most unlikable characters I've ever encountered. I could barely find a single one to actually give a damn about (Motoko became semi-decent near the end, but it was all too little, too late), and the fact that the central protagonists are a sorry, sickening, pervert who's clumsy beyond all conceivability and a rabid tramp who lacks any sort of common sense, ability to listen to others, or even general decency just made it so much more painful to watch. It's just the same exact joke over and over again with the pathetic, hopeless, perverted geek and unstable psycho bantering back & forth until it mercifully ends. How do people stand this steaming pile!?

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi - And I thought Gainax could do comedy after seeing FLCL. Must've been a fluke, because this is just trash. The parodies are tolerable for about four or five episodes (except for the fact that they go the wrong direction sometimes...like the sci-fi parody which centered on soiled children's underwear!), but the fact that it was all just the same couple jokes (most of which involved MuneMune's giant chest) got real old in a hurry, especially when they introduced the rather intriguing plot. But y'know...after two episodes of plot development, they apparently decided to go suck some more and put that thing permanently on the backburner, reverting to the same horrid, well-beyond-stale comedy until throwing together some horrendous ending that was neither conclusive nor memorable. spoiler[And I don't know about the rest of you, but seeing the real Mune Imamiya in the plot-heavy flashback episode just made the continued breast jokes afterward seem...somewhat tasteless, really. Not that they were funny any more, nor really all that side-splittingly hilarious to begin with.]

Pilot Candidate - My memory's fuzzy (lucky for it), but what I do remember of this sorry excuse for a show was the worst commercial CG animation I've ever seen (no questions, bottom line, worst ever), flat characters that really didn't do much to develop (hey, the same could be said for the plot, what a coicidence), and no semblance of an ending whatsoever. Again, it's been a long time, but I remember having no kind words for it (save for "catgirl! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Bulghod wrote:
I just kinda find it hard to see nintendo to bring in new audiences with Samus, Mario, Donkey Kong (Konga Excluded).
meanwhile peoples take the GTA and the Halo to other systems, bringing in something new, fresh, and something those young kids will go look at and say, "hey this seems cool" instead of "oh woah, Mario Tennis. Mario Golf, Mario Accountancy" That's my schtick right there.

The truth is that you are absolutely right; they are exactly not doing that. Nintendo today, pretty much survives on its loyal fanbase from the SNES and N64 days who stuck with them. The problem is that gaming has become much more mainstream today and Nintendo is still making games that cater to the hard-core oldskool gamers. Sure, the newcomers think that it is cool to bash in a hookers head with a baseball in GTA and they think Halo is cool because of.... eh.... well.... hype I guess. So they want games like that and they don't associate that kind of coolness with Nintendo's still rather kiddie image. Of course these gamers don't care to know about quality games, they are happy just as long as they can come out of the movie theatre and buy a the licensed game of that movie no matter how crappy the hard-core gamers think it is.

Nintendo just simply refuses to change their games and attitude to cater to the new breed of gamers and I for one commend them on it. Of course this prolly will mean that they ultimately will suffer a fate similar to SEGA but that might still be several years away. I sure hope Nintendo will make it in one form or the other, as the future of gaming needs a company like them.

Bulghod wrote:
P.P.S
Why is everyone here so angry?

Did I seem angry in my post? In case I did I am sorry because I was not. In fact I very rarely do get angry, as I am a relaxed person to the point of almost being sedated. The problem with communication trough text is that sometimes emotions are communicated wrongly.
The Shadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
My candidate for the worst misfire ever has got to be a feature film called Birth, which just came out on DVD. No plot, no characterization, the entire film is one long extended chase sequence as everybody runs willy-nilly around a desert planet (no spoilers here, it's all spelled out in the first eight minutes of the movie) trying to be the first to get their hands on what has to be the single most useless weapon in the history of weaponry (describing it would be a spoiler; let's just say it's not something you would take home to fight off invaders). Birth does however pose some interesting technical questions, such as: Is it possible to criticize animated characters for being "off model" when there don't appear to have been any model to their design?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6