• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fangs and canines in Trigun manga?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading the Trigun manga, and I noticed that Vash, Knives, B.D.N. and sometimes Wolfwood, and Legato all sometimes have fangs or thickset canine teeth. Does anyone know why that is? I'm not complaining, I think it's cool, but they're all human, (except for Vash and Knives who are humanoid plants.) None of them are vampires, demons, werewolves or other monsters that would have fangs or canine teeth. Which is why I'm asking why they are sometimes drawn with fangs.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
This isn't something exclusive to Trigun, you can see this in many other anime. This is mainly a trait used by animators to, quite simply, make things look cooler. It also serves as a helpful tool to exemplify aggression and anger. It's more or less a common drawing style that mangaka of that genre tend to use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
This isn't something exclusive to Trigun, you can see this in many other anime. This is mainly a trait used by animators to, quite simply, make things look cooler. It also serves as a helpful tool to exemplify aggression and anger. It's more or less a common drawing style that mangaka of that genre tend to use.

Your explanation makes sense, but could you name a few anime that do this? I have also seen and read manga of the shonen or seinen type that tend to do this, but I seem to notice it more in the Trigun manga, than any others I've read recently, which was why I was specific. However, I agree with the exemplify aggression and anger. Trigun shows alot of this. Whenever one of the men are angry that's when I see them drawn with fangs or canine teeth.

One reason why I decided to ask this is because in volume 2, when Vash is stressed, he actually bites himself, so to speak. There's a scene in which he seems to be kneeling, and a fang/canine is poking out of his mouth and seems to be digging into just below his lip. Confused I will have to get the page number so y'all know what I'm talking about.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
I think it's usually used to show a wild personality. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Ryouga from Ranma 1/2 and Tasuki from Fushigi Yuugi. Both of these are hot-tempered guys who like to fight rather than talk.

You can see Tasuki's fangs poking out here.

And Ryouga is here.

There's also an article on the tv tropes webpage about cute little fangs.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I think it's usually used to show a wild personality. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Ryouga from Ranma 1/2 and Tasuki from Fushigi Yuugi. Both of these are hot-tempered guys who like to fight rather than talk.

You can see Tasuki's fangs poking out here.

And Ryouga is here.

There's also an article on the tv tropes webpage about cute little fangs.

That makes sense. Yes, Tasuki and Ryoga have little fangs. They do look cute on them. However, that's what they are, cute. And to me, they remind me of little animal fangs. I guess what I'm trying to say is, they don't make it obvious, nor are the little fangs sported to look menacing. I guess what I am referring to in the Trigun manga, is that they're fangs aren't exactly cute. Seeing the sets they have, I was seriously reminded of a vampire or werewolf. In other words, in Trigun, they are more obvious and look more menacing. Whereas with the case of Ryoga and Tasuki, they're little fangs are for cuteness, and as the TV tropes article suggests, they may be imitating oni, who sported fangs for cute and comical reasons. But your explanation hits it on the spot. Ryoga and Tasuki are rather cute and comical, as well as hot-tempered and like to fight, while Vash, Knives, Wolfwood and others in Trigun who have a tendency to sport wolfish/vampiric fangs, are more serious and-in the case of Knives-downright murderous and vicious.

Like I said, I'm not complaining about the men in Trigun sporting humongous fangs. I just couldn't help noticing that they're fangs/canine teeth were 'different' than other manga/anime characters, example Tasuki and Ryoga, who have them for cuteness and comical wildness, whereas, for example, when B.D.N. in volume 1 bears his teeth, I honestly couldn't help but wonder if he was about to transform into a wolf, if that explains to anyone what I mean.

Back to kyokun703: Again thanks for your explanation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1