• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inuyasha Rumor

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I got an email from one of my online friends this morning, saying that she had heard that Viz wasn't going to buy up the rest of Inuyasha, because they had their plate full, with other projects besides Inuyasha. Now I know AS has bought the rights to the rest of Inuyasha, so I was wondering if this thing about Viz not buying the rest of Inuyasha was true or not, I was unable to giver her an answer as I had heard nothing of the like so I'm asking you guys for an answer. Domo-arigato in advance, I appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
beleive everything that you hear on the internet, because the internet is always true.

You're joking though, right? Isn't Inu Yasha one of their biggest sellers? Jesus!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
Now I know AS has bought the rights to the rest of Inuyasha, so I was wondering if this thing about Viz not buying the rest of Inuyasha was true or not...

If Viz didn't already have the entire series, then Adult Swim couldn't have acquired the broadcast rights. It's the same reason they haven't pursued Naruto or the Fullmetal Alchemist movie; they aren't licensed, so Cartoon Network can't go to anyone for English-language broadcast rights as of yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

If Viz didn't already have the entire series, then Adult Swim couldn't have acquired the broadcast rights. It's the same reason they haven't pursued Naruto or the Fullmetal Alchemist movie; they aren't licensed, so Cartoon Network can't go to anyone for English-language broadcast rights as of yet.

That's not always true. Geneon still doesn't have rights to all "Lupin III" episodes and yet it was shown on Adult Swim. The same goes for Funimation's "Detective Conan" ("Case Closed").
Personally, I really doubt that VIZ would drop "InuYasha" at this point. I think they're going to milk it while they can.

Last edited by Proman on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

That's not always true. Geneon still doesn't have right to all "Lupin III" episodes and yet it was shown on Adult Swim. The same goes for Funimation's "Detective Conan" ("Case Closed").
Personally, I really doubt that VIZ would drop "InuYasha" at this point. I think they're going to milk it while they can.

You misunderstand Nagi's point. Anime_Freak said that AS had the broadcast rights to all of Inu. That's impossible unless Viz first holds the license to all of the series. So, either Viz holds the rights to all of Inu already, or AS doesn't have the broadcast rights to the whole thing.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
[quote="Proman"]
Nagisa wrote:
Geneon still doesn't have right to all "Lupin III" episodes and yet it was shown on Adult Swim. The same goes for Funimation's "Detective Conan" ("Case Closed").

No, Geneon have all of the second (old-current) Lupin the III TV series, same with FUNimation and Case Closed. They just don't have them all on DVD, for reasons of their own.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

That's not always true. Geneon still doesn't have right to all "Lupin III" episodes and yet it was shown on Adult Swim. The same goes for Funimation's "Detective Conan" ("Case Closed").

Actually Proman, what Nagisa means, is that CN can only broadcast episodes of InuYasha that Viz has the rights to, meaning that say Viz has the rights for upto episode 100 of Inu, then that's all CN can aquire broadcast rights too
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

But Geneon & FUNimation do have the episodes that ran on Adult Swim. Those companies didn't have to have every single episode of the series, but they have to at least have the ones they make TV deals for. That's my point; Adult Swim's been confirmed to have broadcasting rights to every episode of Inu-Yasha to the end of it, so that obviously means that Viz has them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
Proman wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

Actually Proman, what Nagisa means, is that CN can only broadcast episodes of InuYasha that Viz has the rights to, meaning that say Viz has the rights for upto episode 100 of Inu, then that's all CN can aquire broadcast rights too

Read again what she said: "If Viz didn't already have the entire series, then Adult Swim couldn't have acquired the broadcast rights." She's talking about the "entire series" not select episodes.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Proman wrote:
Geneon still doesn't have rights to all "Lupin III" episodes and yet it was shown on Adult Swim. The same goes for Funimation's "Detective Conan" ("Case Closed").

No, Geneon have all of the second (old-current) Lupin the III TV series, same with FUNimation and Case Closed. They just don't have them all on DVD, for reasons of their own.

In Conan's case that would be impossible considering that the series isn't over in Japan yet.

Nagisa wrote:
Proman wrote:

But Geneon & FUNimation do have the episodes that ran on Adult Swim. Those companies didn't have to have every single episode of the series, but they have to at least have the ones they make TV deals for. That's my point; Adult Swim's been confirmed to have broadcasting rights to every episode of Inu-Yasha to the end of it, so that obviously means that Viz has them.

Of course they do. I never said they didn't. I guess we misunderstood each other. I thought that what your statement "If Viz didn't already have the entire series, then Adult Swim couldn't have acquired the broadcast rights" meant was that in order for Adult Swim to show a series it needs to be compleatly licensed. It was your mention of "entire series" that threw me off but I think I see what you meant now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1