• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Live Action anime adaptation?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulghod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
yea, we're all pretty much aware of the live action anime movies coming up, DBZ, Eva, Lupin, Battle Angel, etc. some of them may be great, some of them may generate more death threats than the TV ending of Eva. But what would be the worse possible anime for a live action adaptation?

I'd say Super Milk Chan, but it would be funny to see Amanda Bynes or that girl from The Ring go, "You Dumbass!"

well that or FLCL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quote
As far as I know, just about any live-action adaptation (outside Japan) of an anime is a potential stinker. As a matter of fact, You'll see some on the bargain bin of most video shops, including the following:

Fist of the North Star - If you love the manga, you will hate this live-action atrocity for its horrible portrayal of Kenshiro, Ryuken (Malcom McDowell may be a great actor, but he seriously should retire) and other key characters. As a matter of fact, it's so painful to watch that it makes a root canal feel like a foot massage.

The Guyver - Video covers may topbill Mark Hammill, but he's not the main character or even an important supporting character. The film itself is an insult to the manga with its horribly cheesy fight scenes. Skip this and watch Guyver 2: Dark Hero instead.

Crying Freeman - Martial artist Mark Dacascos (The Crow: Stairway to Heaven) may look the part, but the film suffers from a completely lackluster script filled with numerous plot holes. Dacascos' fight scenes are awesome, but the rest of the movie will put you to sleep.

Lady Oscar - The French-produced English-language adaptation of The Rose of Versailles had a lot of potential, as it used actual locations in France. The only problem was that the acting was as exciting as watching paint dry on a rainy day.

Even Japan isn't perfect when it comes to adapting anime/manga into live-action:

Sanctuary - Compared to the rather short anime adaptation, the live-action film is just plain boring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
philg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:08 am Reply with quote
i didn't even know there was a live action Lupin III and Eva coming out!
Anyway, the worst live action anime adaptation if it came out would have to be Berserk, it'd be hilarious though. Another one I could think of right now would be hmm... Realbout Highschool, even though it is a T.V series, if it were to be made into a live action show or film it'd be so difficult to get right. Because the show is just so Japanese and ridiculous (but hilarious) at times it'd be hard to capture any seriousness.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:42 am Reply with quote
Damn, A7 beat me to it. Twisted Evil He's right about Guyver and especially Fist of the Northstar. whose idea was it to cast "Downtown" Julie Brown in this B-Flick? and Gary Daniels looks absolutley nothing like Kenshiro (Kenshiro's facial features are a hybrid of Sly Stallone and Bruce Lee.) Costos Malador however was passable as shin (sans blonde hair)

Iv'e been an admirer of Descascos' handiwork too bad he never got his big break.(Brotherhood of the Wolf was his best film thus far.) Crying freeman is more of a guilty pleasure if anything
same goes for Guyver dark hero. Guyver however, deserves props for being the very first live action Anime made in America.

I didn't care for City Hunter starring Jackie Chan, and i have yet to see the live action Gundam flick. G-Savior (from what i have heard, it stinks on ice.) Casshern so far, is the best Live action Anime adaptation i have ever seen. (almost portrays as some sorta greek tragedy and with a Pro-life message *LMAO* to boot.)

Any word on Devilman's release? Iv'e been waiting for this one since i saw the trailers back in may i belive.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Bulghod wrote:
yea, we're all pretty much aware of the live action anime movies coming up, DBZ, Eva, Lupin, Battle Angel, etc. some of them may be great, some of them may generate more death threats than the TV ending of Eva.

I wouldn't worry too much, since at least half of those will never be made, and the live-action Dragonball Z is limping along without any significant news recently (yeah, Fox commissioned a script last year, but studios commission a lot more scripts than ever get produced into films), and, while the live-action GUNMN/Battle Angel has a fighting chance, James Cameron has always been fairly notorious for talking big talk about projects he wants to do, until he gets distracted and moves on to another project before the previous project gets to any significant level of pre-production.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bulghod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Bulghod wrote:
yea, we're all pretty much aware of the live action anime movies coming up, DBZ, Eva, Lupin, Battle Angel, etc. some of them may be great, some of them may generate more death threats than the TV ending of Eva.

I wouldn't worry too much,

I'm not worried at all, not really surprised. I just made this thread so people could joke around and say, "Snoop Dogg would probably end up being Brock" or "Julia Roberts would make a horrible Asaka" or "why are they casting Keenan and Kel for an Invader Zim movie?" no real threat, just harmless making of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
philg wrote:
Realbout Highschool[/b], even though it is a T.V series, if it were to be made into a live action show or film it'd be so difficult to get right. Because the show is just so Japanese and ridiculous (but hilarious) at times it'd be hard to capture any seriousness.

You might need to read this.
animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=639
The Shadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Don't hold your breath waiting for Hollywood to start cranking out live-action anime adaptations. Just about any intellectual property that has a pre-sold audience - be it best-selling novels, comic books, old TV shows and yes, anime and manga - gets optioned for a feature film. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, the film won't get made; optioning it can also be used as a tactic to keep anyone else from getting rights to the property. A good rule of thumb is: until they start casting the film, it's not high on anybody's priority list. Of the title listed above, the one that's most likely to get made is RealBout High School. Melissa Joan Hart has been mentioned elsewhere as the projected star (though what role she is playing is open for speculation; she's a but old to still be playing high school students). I'm not putting much faith in the James Cameron/Battle Angel project. Cameron spends years deciding which movies he wants to make, and can walk away from a project on a whim (he kept the rights for Spider-Man tied up "in development" for almost a decade before deciding he didn't want to do it). The DBZ project is officially dead, last I heard, and the WETA/Evangelion is years away at best, and once it gets run through the Hollywood meat grinder, you probably won't like what gets done to it.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:49 am Reply with quote
Bulghod wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
Bulghod wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much,

I'm not worried at all, not really surprised. I just made this thread so people could joke around and say, "Snoop Dogg would probably end up being Brock" or "Julia Roberts would make a horrible Asaka" or "why are they casting Keenan and Kel for an Invader Zim movie?" no real threat, just harmless making of fun.

ANN generally hasn't been the place for that particular type of harmless fun. ANN seems to strive for intelligent conversation and if harmless fun is involved, so be it.
Bulghod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

ANN generally hasn't been the place for that particular type of harmless fun. ANN seems to strive for intelligent conversation and if harmless fun is involved, so be it.

well like the first week, actually the first day, i joined this board, i saw some possibly angry posts, so hopefully some fun and silly posts will create some balance or something to clam down the upset otakus so they can go and live their lives or lack thereof.
To all offended otaku, get a sense of humor.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
how about whats already been made.

Kekko Kamen.

it gets better after a few drinks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
philg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
philg wrote:
Realbout Highschool[/b], even though it is a T.V series, if it were to be made into a live action show or film it'd be so difficult to get right. Because the show is just so Japanese and ridiculous (but hilarious) at times it'd be hard to capture any seriousness.

You might need to read this.
animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=639

Oh wow that's hilarious lol!!! Well anyway, I was talking about the T.V. Series, I should read the manga and see if I still think the same about Samurai Girl... Oh and Melissa Joan Hart??? It's already a flop!!! Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
Considering that Hartbreak Studios doesn't even have a website, I wouldn't worry too much about the live-action Real Bout High School ever getting past the Tokyopop press release stage, unless it's something filmed with videocameras by an actual high school's drama club.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1