• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
g..a...n...t...z

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
battousai_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
to whoever watched gantz , i want to know spoiler[y wen the dead people go the room and then go fight they take a long time to shoot especially episode 25,for example the guy is infront of him but he can't shoot.]
can anyone tell me why Wink

[spoilerized -c]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
battousai_ wrote:
to whoever watched gantz , i want to know spoiler[y wen the dead people go the room and then go fight they take a long time to shoot especially episode 25,for example the guy is infront of him but he can't shoot.]
can anyone tell me why Wink

1) Please remember to add spoiler tags.

2) I'm not completely sure whether you mean spoiler[why their weapons won't work instantly, but have a time delay (until the final episodes, when that time delay is suddenly removed for a number of reasons involving bad storytelling)] or whether you mean spoiler[ "why don't they shoot, instead of standing around?"]. I'll answer both questions, just to be on the safe side.

The answer to the former is spoiler[ nobody knows for sure, and the manga is unclear on this point - but it seems as if the weapons need to be locked on (first button) before firing (second button), and this is followed by a short delay before the effect manifests itself ("Bang!").]

The answer to the latter is spoiler[ that people under unusual psychological pressure do not generally react in an optimal fashion. Untrained soldiers, or civilians thrust into a combat situation (which is what we have in this case) will tend to react in a number of ways, some of them startlingly different from what professional experience or even basic common sense would dictate. Some will rush blindly into battle, but the greater part will freeze. It's probably some atavistic remnant in our hereditary behavioral programming - "if I stand still, the big predator might not notice me".]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the spoilers
battousai_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:12 am Reply with quote
thanks to abunai Surprised
ganzo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I was not going to say it but now I get really annoyed, can people stop try to hide their spoilers, I mean, whats the point, its not like people can't read it anymore, for people who haven't seen it, they are not going to know what you talking about and even if you spoil their later experience, big deal.

I don't even understand whats your question, are you asking the slow pace of it, as in the end of second stage?

um, first, the whole series is not meant to be fast paced anyway, its more pschological rather than fast paced action and fun. Maybe you just realized that in the end, but first stage was surely not fast paced.

I personally think its due to the progression of the story, they just have to do it like that to make it look normal, they have to let the characters speak their thought before the blood comes out. Also due to what japanese tend to do, they have a tendency to let it go slow, I seen many that just went on talk talk talk before something come up. They do it more vividly on live action dramas and films, I think its part of their culture, its like you think something progress too slow is odd, and jp think American stuff go too fast is odd.

As for the manga part, comparison cant really be made, since you can read along with your own pace, you can read it fast, and at place you like you can stop and daydream. For the anime, you can't really do that, if you do, you basically messed up the progress of the story.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
ganzo wrote:
I was not going to say it but now I get really annoyed, can people stop try to hide their spoilers, I mean, whats the point, its not like people can't read it anymore, for people who haven't seen it, they are not going to know what you talking about and even if you spoil their later experience, big deal.

Wrong. Let me be absolutely blunt about this, so you don't misunderstand:

The spoiler tags are there for a reason. They are meant to be used, as a courtesy to people who haven't seen it yet.

The fact that you obviously don't mind being given spoilers does not mean that everybody else is similarly indifferent. On this board, we practice courteous concern for the enjoyment of others who want to watch the anime without having the experience spoiled by prior knowledge that "the butler did it".

Let me strongly suggest to you that you do the same.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
ganzo wrote:

The spoiler tags are there for a reason. They are meant to be used, as a courtesy to people who haven't seen it yet.

The fact that you obviously don't mind being given spoilers does not mean that everybody else is similarly indifferent. On this board, we practice courteous concern for the enjoyment of others who want to watch the anime without having the experience spoiled by prior knowledge that "the butler did it".

- abunai

Yea, what he said
ganzo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
abunai wrote:
ganzo wrote:

- abunai

Yea, what he said

yea thats true, I do realize people have their ways, so I was a bit blunt, but I tend to say whatever is on my mind and even if people dont like it or its wrong, no regrets, my goal: try to not spoil but never hide.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
ganzo wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
abunai wrote:
ganzo wrote:

- abunai

Yea, what he said

yea thats true, I do realize people have their ways, so I was a bit blunt, but I tend to say whatever is on my mind and even if people don't like it or its wrong, no regrets, my goal: try to not spoil but never hide.

What's so hard about highlighting the spoiler part to read it? It takes like 2 second to do.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote
ganzo wrote:
yea thats true, I do realize people have their ways, so I was a bit blunt, but I tend to say whatever is on my mind and even if people don't like it or its wrong, no regrets, my goal: try to not spoil but never hide.

I can see that I was not quite clear enough. I apologise. Let me try again...

The people who run this board believe in old-fashioned virtues such as courtesy and concern for others. The focus of this board is anime, and one aspect of this courteous concern is that we try not to spoil things for people who haven't seen a particular anime. That means that spoiler tags are not optional.

Please add spoiler tags when you post. Otherwise, a moderator will have to take the time to do it for you - and after they've had to do so enough times to find you a nuisance, they will ban you. It is as simple as that.

I am staff, but not a moderator - even I tremble at their awesome might... Shocked

- abunai
ganzo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
ganzo wrote:

I can see that I was not quite clear enough. I apologise. Let me try again...

The people who run this board believe in old-fashioned virtues such as courtesy and concern for others. The focus of this board is anime, and one aspect of this courteous concern is that we try not to spoil things for people who haven't seen a particular anime. That means that spoiler tags are not optional.

Please add spoiler tags when you post. Otherwise, a moderator will have to take the time to do it for you - and after they've had to do so enough times to find you a nuisance, they will ban you. It is as simple as that.

I am staff, but not a moderator - even I tremble at their awesome might... Shocked

- abunai

aha, so the high authority comes in and its banning time, hehe.
I can't believe a little whine in the start can create such trouble. First, I recall all the things I wrote I try to not get into the plot, and there is no point for me either since this is not a forum to reveal plots but for discussion. I haven't see my posts get tagged(i didn't check), but Im sure that doesn't mean its not going to get tagged in the future by me or authorities.

Its not the time it takes to tag that I am concerning about, its the content for which part should be tagged Im concerning. When write somthing I tend to write everything together(Im sure others do the same), and if I do the tag at certain places, its going to ruin the progression of the things Im going to write, for me its weird and interrupt my thoughts, for readers its black interruptions(annoy me, don't know about others).

A discussion is a discussion, if you have to think about so much rules and spoilers then a free environment for expression simple does not exist anymore. When judging something, people would simply be limited to say thats good thats bad without details to back it up, and then the forum will simply be a place for gossip and side topics rather than things that are relevant to animes.

Understand the virtue part, Im sure everyone has that inside unless....and thats why I tried to say the big things rather than single details from the story.

This is way off topic, sorry for people who are interested in gantz and why its a rather slow piece.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:13 am Reply with quote
Spoiler Tags Are Not Optional - you must use them if saying something that will potentially spoil the plot for someone who hasn't seen that part yet.

End of discussion, future posts in this thread regarding spoiler tags will be deleted.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1