• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chobits or Azumanga?!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote
Which one is worth my while buying on DVD (the whole series)? Chobits or Azumanga, I think they're both comedy, and I don't watch very many comedy anime series so i thought I'd get up to date... if these aren't the best ones which is? What should i spend my money on?
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:26 am Reply with quote
I've seen a few episodes of Chobits and based on that, I'll recommend just about anything over Chobits. I've read about a page or so of the Azumanga Daioh manga, and it was interesting enough to make me want to see/read more sometime in the near future.
equinox13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh by far. You will not be disapointed. The cuteness is taken to an insane level of funny. Then there's the rest of the show which is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Another comedy you should check if you haven't already is Excel Saga. Excel Saga is enough to make some people die laughing. I know a guy who did. He said it was nice in heaven, but there was still anime he wanted to see so he came back...
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
No really, you could ask what is better: apples or oranges.
Chobits and Azumanga are totally different.
Basically Chobits is a little goffy love comedy where the creators tried to fit some philosophy "do robots feel etc". But at the end it gets somewhat DARK Neutral Something I wasnt expecting really. Its a good series that I enjoy watching, certainly better than the manga. And it has a plot, as apposed to AD:
And Azumanga Daioh is your basic school girls life comedy. There is no suspense, no action, just really sweet and VERY entertaining stories. Each episode is made of 4 different stories starring the same characters (later I think one more joins the gang). AD is an anime without a real plot or anything else. You jsut watch it for fun. Somewhat like slice of life genre, I dunno.
gnikdrazil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
You want a good comedy, Azumanga is the way to go. I really liked the anime. Chobits was suppose to have funny parts, but I never laughed at them. By the second have of the anime, it goes soap opera drama with robots.
Krelian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
Azumanga, no contest. It's amazing how the everyday life of 6 schoolgirls can be so hilarious and endearing. Chobits and Azumanga are very different though, Chobits is more like Video girl Ai or Mahoromatic. Pretty much your basic boy meets robot girl story. It's not bad at all, but it cannot compete with Azumanga Daioh. Azumanga has its own unique style that will put a smile on your face and keep it there for several days Very Happy

(Not to mention that the intro/outro is pretty unique too)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh would be my choice. I've only seen the first volume of Chobits, but AzuDai is what others have said, cute and nothing but fun.

There's no violence (aside from slapstick) and hardly any drama (unless you consider petting an evil cat to be scary Razz). The characters are very likeable, the music is relaxing, the art and animation is clean and smooth, there's no annoying amount of fanservice, and the plot is pretty down to earth as opposed to the antics of FLCL or Excel Saga.

I'd actually recommend GTO instead, but as much as I dislike ADV's dubbing, AzuDai's is a heck of a lot better than the Tokyopop abomination known as the GTO dub.

And, being an ADV property, AzuDai is also shorter in both volume length and price when compared to Geneon's distribution of Chobits. You'd get more funny for less money! Laughing

Go with AzuDai Wink.
tenchidragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Chobits was one of the best anime series I've ever seen.I laught like crazy.I have not seen the other one yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh all the way, because not only is it funnier, it's also great entertainment for all ages. Chobits, on the other hand, is something you don't want your mother to catch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
JackBassV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Got all six DVDs of Azumanga and all 4 volumes of the Manga.

Getting the last of each made me really happy and sad at the same time: Happy 'cause I've got them all. Sad 'cause there's no more to get Sad

I Want More Azumanga!!!

Seriously, AD is really funny, with a couple of running gags (inc Kamineko), though the final visit to Chio-Chan's summer home is one of the funniest things I've seen (Osaka's waking of Yukari-sensei to be precise).

Get it, it's well worth it.

JBV^_^
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the "apples and oranges" assessment.

Azumanga Daioh is a pure, sweet slice-of-life comedy. While quite funny, it has very little for ongoing plot. The pacing and style of the humor are a bit different from most comedy series, so it doesn't work for everyone.

Chobits Is a romantic comedy-drama, although the "romance" part of it doesn't come in prominently until later. Unlike AzuDai, it has a distinct plot and a serious side to it which raises some weighty issues about how people would interact with walking talking computers.

Although Chobits does have its moments, AD is a better choice if you're looking only for comedy. Chobits is a better choice if you actually want a story, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Argh, what is it with people and apples? I can't stand 'em. I'll use the same argument I made about Cowboy Bebop and Trigun when lianncoop made the same comparison.

I like oranges. They're sweet, easy to bite into, and all that citrus is good for you. AzuDai is my orange, or to be more specific, my Oranges and Lemons (with some tea and fancy hearing cake for you on the side Razz).

I haven't seen all of Chobits, but I don't like apples. My teeth are straight, but my underbite doesn't allow me to bite them (or a lot of other things) very well. And because of the apple stuck between my teeth, I always feel the need to floss afterwards, which I'd rather just save for after dinner instead of any stinkin' time I eat those cursed (yet tasty) red or green pieces of fruit (which are GREAT in pies, but unfortunately I don't have the patience for in a spherical sense).

Now, not that I'm saying Chobits is as bad as my dislike for apples, but I really wish you guys would use another great tasting fruit like bananas, pineapples, or even tomatoes like Chiyo-chan's father suggested in Osaka's dream Mad.

Go with the orange, philg Evil or Very Mad Arrow Wink.

philg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
LOL! That was a great explanation Tony K.... I see most of you decided Azumanga was far better than Chobits, so I hope I'm doing right by buying it.. I'll also have a look at Excel Saga Wink
Thanks for all your help, I didn't want to waste my money on anime that wasn't going to be funny Smile
Arkard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:32 am Reply with quote
OK Tony K., I am just gonna give you something to help you relax... pull up your sleeve OK? Razz
Apples and Oranges is your basic, known term when discribing 2 relatively different things. It`s nothing personal. If it was up to me I would say Mango and Papaya as they are my 2 all time fav fruits Very Happy

And as for philg - really dont hold anyone responsible for their words if you dont find AD funny (unlikely but possible). The concept of "funny" really depends on the individual character so you really should ask yourself if you are LOOKING for something like Azumanga. Peace out Anime smile
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Azumanga Daioh is a pure, sweet slice-of-life comedy. While quite funny, it has very little for ongoing plot. The pacing and style of the humor are a bit different from most comedy series, so it doesn't work for everyone.

Chobits Is a romantic comedy-drama, although the "romance" part of it doesn't come in prominently until later. Unlike AzuDai, it has a distinct plot and a serious side to it which raises some weighty issues about how people would interact with walking talking computers.

Although Chobits does have its moments, AD is a better choice if you're looking only for comedy. Chobits is a better choice if you actually want a story, too.

Yeah what he said
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2