• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Difference between Martian Successor Nadesico sets?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GARlockSpiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
The perfect collection and complete chronicles look the same, but is there any major difference between the two?
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Well the Complete Chronicles, which is what I bought nearly seven years ago, is a brick set, meaning there's just one case with multiple "pages" inside in which to fit DVDs. The perfect collection is the same thing but with thinpaks.

Both sets have all 26 episodes. I suspect if you wait long enough, there will be a release that includes the TV Series and the movie together, but for right now I would choose the perfect collection because 1) it's newer and will be easier to find, 2) it will probably be cheaper, and 3) the brick collections weren't all that great storage-wise anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Well the Complete Chronicles, which is what I bought nearly seven years ago, is a brick set, meaning there's just one case with multiple "pages" inside in which to fit DVDs. The perfect collection is the same thing but with thinpaks.
It's not the same thing. The Perfect Collection contains the discs used in the 2004 "Essential Anime" re-release, while the Complete Chronicles contains the original DVDs released back in 2000-01. What's the difference? If the OP isn't aware, MSN is a very text-heavy series, and the old DVDs have a lot of very ugly hardsubs and digital overlays, the same as the ones used on the VHS release. The EA re-release remedied this problem by softsubbing everything, so you get the untouched video which looks far better. Also, I believe the main subtitles were redone; the old DVDs had the "ADV huge" subtitles that forced some lines to be over-simplified. The new ones use the smaller subs that ADV's used in recent years, so you get a more detailed translation. The EA version also has commentaries, which I don't think were on the old discs.

In short, the Essential Anime / Perfect Collection is better in every way, so get that.
GARlockSpiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Since i've heard nothing but bad things about the movie, and i actually have found the Chronicles set cheaper, i was just wondering what i'd lose if i got the perfect collection.
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's not the same thing. The Perfect Collection contains the discs used in the 2004 "Essential Anime" re-release, while the Complete Chronicles contains the original DVDs released back in 2000-01. What's the difference? If the OP isn't aware, MSN is a very text-heavy series, and the old DVDs have a lot of very ugly hardsubs and digital overlays, the same as the ones used on the VHS release. The EA re-release remedied this problem by softsubbing everything, so you get the untouched video which looks far better. Also, I believe the main subtitles were redone; the old DVDs had the "ADV huge" subtitles that forced some lines to be over-simplified. The new ones use the smaller subs that ADV's used in recent years, so you get a more detailed translation. The EA version also has commentaries, which I don't think were on the old discs.

In short, the Essential Anime / Perfect Collection is better in every way, so get that.

Ahh, I didn't know that. I knew it was the same content/episodes, but wasn't aware that some of the technical stuff got updated as well. I purchased Eva too early as well to get the same benefits.

While I prefer the sub, I will still watch the dub for Kira Vincent-Davis' Ruri.

re: GARlockSpriral
I did enjoy the movie, moreso than others it seems, but I didn't see it until long after I had watched the series, so maybe that affected my perception of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how anyone who enjoyed the series could enjoy the movie as well (and vice versa). Seriously, they seemed to be targeting two completely different demographics from my memory.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I didn't know that either Zalis. I bought the original DVD's back around Christmas last year, but now that I think about it I should have went with the Essentials instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

That's nice to know...I just got the Perfect Collection, but mostly because it has Ruri on the cover.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I don't know how anyone who enjoyed the series could enjoy the movie as well (and vice versa). Seriously, they seemed to be targeting two completely different demographics from my memory.

I seem to recall that there were a series of video games between the TV show and the movie that carry the story to where it is by the time of the movie. THese games were not ever released in America. For the record, I much prefer the TV show. It's one of the shows that I can continue to watch over and over.

And I'll confirm that there are no commentary tracks on the brick release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1