• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should I or Should I NOT Buy RahXephon?!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p8nt junky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
I have been looking into buying the series RahXephon, which seems intriguing and has a lot of positive reviews from a good number of viewers.

HOWEVER

I have also been hearing that it tries way to hard to look sound and present itself like Evangelion ((one of my favs.))

I would hate to waste a chunk of money on something that would just make me say - - - I should have just watched NeGE a second time around - - - SO PLEASE give me your opinion Razz
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:48 am Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, it's not even close to being similar to EVA. And it has a LOVELY romance story to boot. At it's heart, it's really a story about the romance between spoiler[Ayato and Haruka]. Throw in some nice fighting sequences, and a heart-rending episode 19 that made me cry, and you have a story well worth your fistful of dollars. Go buy it.
JusticeGundam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:26 am Reply with quote
If this helps, I bought the manga and liked it alot, I think its a great series. From what I read it does rip-off eva, but not alot.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:57 am Reply with quote
Why does everyone say that Rahxephon is a rip off of Eva?

There is a big Raxephon vs Eva thread on AoD if you want to view it.
http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=760977&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote
i can see why you might be worried because when I started watching it I thought it was just like Eva, but if you continue watching it you will find that it goes far beyond Eva and it different enogh from it in underlying themes that you will stop comparing it to Eva by the end.
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:16 am Reply with quote
p8nt junky wrote:
I have been looking into buying the series RahXephon, which seems intriguing and has a lot of positive reviews from a good number of viewers.

HOWEVER

I have also been hearing that it tries way to hard to look sound and present itself like Evangelion ((one of my favs.))

Rahxephon is just a copycat of evangelion whithout the art of Hideaki Anno. The characters are without willpower and personnality, the fights are slow without tension.

Basically, you can watch rahxephon only one time and only if you've not seen NGE for a long time.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Sakurazukamori wrote:

Rahxephon is just a copycat of evangelion whithout the art of Hideaki Anno. The characters are without willpower and personnality, the fights are slow without tension.

Basically, you can watch rahxephon only one time and only if you've not seen NGE for a long time.

That's about as far as you can get from the truth. None of the characters compare to anyone in Eva. Not even Quon really compares to Rei. The stories are not similar. About the only thing that it shares with Eva is that they both have mecha. Big Whoop.
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

That's about as far as you can get from the truth. None of the characters compare to anyone in Eva. Not even Quon really compares to Rei. The stories are not similar. About the only thing that it shares with Eva is that they both have mecha. Big Whoop.

LOL Laughing
THe story is the same. The enemies are angel-like with the blue type blood, exactly like NGE. Even the name are copied !
There are so many similarities of Eva... Even the smallest detail is copied. Lets take the female pilot who wears a pendant (cross shaped) like Misato and drink a lot of beer like Misato.

The big difference is that the characters of Rahxepon are only the shadow of Evanglions'
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
I saw three volumes of the dvd's for sale for $7.50 each... and passed on it since I hadn't read any reviews and from the box it appeared to be a boy meets mecha, saves world type story (which I sometimes like and sometimes don't...). Read a few reviews - some compare to Eva some point out it's better - some say not the same, etc... Basically what's happening in this thread...

Decided what the heck, I'll go get them - very cheap for anime - and of course, someone else had bought them.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Buy it.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
Sakurazukamori wrote:

THe story is the same. The enemies are angel-like with the blue type blood, exactly like NGE. Even the name are copied !
There are so many similarities of Eva... Even the smallest detail is copied. Lets take the female pilot who wears a pendant (cross shaped) like Misato and drink a lot of beer like Misato.

Umm.. no.. first off the angels in Eva have a blue blood type pattern, not blue blood. Secondly, the dolems don't have blue blood, the Mu do. And wow, someone that likes to drink beer, I guess Misato must have been copied from my sister, because she wears a cross pendant and drinks beer as well. OMG Eva ripped off my sister!!!! Rolling Eyes

If you really want to list off everything that you think is "copied" and in what way it is "copied" then go ahead, and I'll give a response to every single one.
pyrem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Alright, back to the topic...let's try to help this person out.

Like the others I too have seen both NGE and Rah. Both are favorites of mine, yet I prefer Rah over NGE, but that's just my preference. IMO there is enough difference between the two that I wouldn't warrant calling Rah a rip off. When it comes to the technical stuff, NGE and Rah are very similar. But if you go past that, I believe you will find the underlying themes and resolutions to be considerably different.

Anyways, the similarites and the differences between these two series will always be a debate, so you really won't find a good consensus. But despite that, a good anime is a good anime, and considering the good reviews and my positive experience with it, I would highly recommend Rah.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd say don't buy it. Rent it. Then if you like it enough, buy it.

Anyway, Rah seems like a show made by people who had only ever seen one show in their lives, Eva, and they weren't trying to copy Eva; they just didn't have any other models for what a show could be. They do things that are different from Eva, but not by much. If Eva has a talking dog, Rah has a whispering cat. If Eva has Free Candy Day, Rah has Complementary Bubble Gum Weekend. If Eva has orange pinwheels, Rah has purple propellers.

Eva changed anime; Rah followed in the wake of those changes. I enjoyed Rah, but even Eva's weak episodes are more interesting than 90 percent of Rah.

I actually really, really liked parts of Rah, though, so hey.

Last edited by Aaron White on Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
There is a good review/feature at AnimeFringe which discusses Rah vs. Eva which I think could be helpful in this situation.

The first part is his thoughts on the series after he had seen just a few eps of Rah, and the second part deals with his final thoughts after he had finished the series.

While I'm at it, below are the ratings given to Rah by ANN members. I'm sure some of them thought it was a rip-off of Eva and some didn't, but the numbers still point to it being a good buy either way (which it is a VERY good buy):
Masterpiece: 110 votes (sub:60, dub:39, ?:6, raw:3, edit.dub:2)
Excellent: 98 votes (sub:59, dub:35, ?:3, raw:1)
Very good: 74 votes (sub:52, dub:13, ?:7, raw:2)
Good: 37 votes (sub:25, dub:11, ?:1)
Decent: 18 votes (sub:13, dub:4, ?:1)
So-so: 9 votes (sub:6, dub:3)
Not really good: 2 votes (raw:1, dub:1)
Weak: 4 votes (sub:4)
Bad: 3 votes (sub:3)
Awful: 2 votes (sub:2)
Seen in part or in whole by 682 users, rank: #49
Median rating: Excellent
Arithmetic mean: 8.4322 (Very good+.43), std. dev.: 1.673, rank: #107
Weighted mean: 8.3585 (Very good+.35), rank: #100
Bayesian estimate: 8.33552 (Very good+.33), rank: #34

Last edited by Kazuki-san on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I'd say don't buy it. Rent it. Then if you like it enough, buy it.

Anyway, Rah seems like a show made by people who had only ever seen one show in their lives, Eva, and they weren't trying to copy Eva; they just didn't have any other models for what a show could be. They do things that are different from Eva, but not by much. If Eva has a talking dog, Rah has a whispering cat. If Eva has Free Candy Day, Rah has Complementary Bubble Gum Weekend. If Eva has orange pinwheels, Rah has purple propellers.

Eva changed anime; Rah followed in the wake of those changes. I enjoyed Rah, but even Eva's weak episodes are more interesting than 90 percent of Rah.

I actually really, really liked parts of Rah, though, so hey.

I totally agree with all of this.
Hello Aaron White, you wrote what I think but can't write.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4