• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you consider Gomanga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
the art is like one of the new diamonds that are technically real but produced artificially and look it as well
i guess thats not the best comparison
i guess megatokyo is more like ssatire of americans in tokyo with what and how we look at japan with how it is

but now that these things are being sold

i just wanna know how others see it
i haven't made any decision on how to view these thigns yet and i'm still cotemplating it
as to whether they should be considered imitation or a standalone works
i don't consider it manga
but even go mangas format follows the manga format i wonder why they didn't just call it a comic
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I just look at them as being an interesting read. Most of their titles sound interesting (the only one I'm not too into is Agent Luna) and the art work is good. What you call them shouldn't matter, only whether you like them or not.

I read in an article on Newsarama that the right-to-left format was done because, world wide, it's a more popular stlye. If I remember correctly, not only to the asian countries use r-to-l, but so do the Portugese, and American (and Canada and Britian I'd imagine) are the only ones to do l-to-right.

This way, they're more marketable to forgein countries.
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
maybe but i think go manga and i'm not sure buti think megatokyo as well are being done in america
since they just got off i don't think they're trying to market them worldwide when their not sure if it'll suceed here

not to mention they're pretty small publishers

i didn't say they were bad and their art does look good, you do have to give them credit for their skill. i don't think ether looks like it could be from a manga-ka(thou they all differ slightly in style), i guess i made i just don't get a feel that its from japan

btw: i didn't like the ninja detective thing or the names given to the characters
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Solanin would win, but Vertical needs the award more than Viz. So congrats.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
Are you talking about Seven seas?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Are you talking about Seven seas?

I believe so. Seven Sea's site url is "www.gomanga.com"

In terms of original English manga, I think Yen Press and Del Rey do a better job at consistent quality. And to be honest, I find Seven Sea's right-to-left orientation for English titles to be just...ridiculously weeaboo.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I can't stand it. GoManga / Seven Seas is one of my least favorite manga / comics publisher out there. I think they publish a couple actual Japanese books, but the rest act like such posers and have jumped on the manga wanna be craze so bad it sickens me.

First of all, I never got MegaTokyo. I just don't see what's so damn great about it. Seven Seas was one of the first of various publishers to print the web comic. They then went to Dark Horse and now somehow are over at DC's really crappy manga imprint CMX.

Blues of Hadal wrote:
i don't consider it manga
but even go mangas format follows the manga format i wonder why they didn't just call it a comic
What is manga format? Reading from right to left? Because that's just Japanese, not manga format.

As for size, well that's 5x7 format. I've seen manga published in larger formats and smaller formats. The first manga i bought was Lone Wolf and Cub in smaller format based on a Japanese collected format for popular series for older readers.

And here's my second issue with Seven Seas. They publish English only books in right to left format just to look Japanese. You're publishing a book contrary to the language it's published in! There is no logical reason to publish an English book that way. It's a cheap superficial gimmick to trick people to thinking somehow that makes the book more Japanese and somehow therefore better.

Plus that Aoi house which notably does looks like just another take on the shonen harem romance genre, which I think is one of the worst popular genres in the Japanese industry. Blech.

I'll be glad when this weeaboo stage of trying to imitate Japanese books and superficially imitating their publishing is over with and people just publish their books period with none of this posing. it really is just stereotyping and the imitation of it. Left to right, tossing in Japanese words, calling it a 'manga' instead of speaking your native language. None of this makes for a better book. I want this trend just die so people can just get on and tell their stories.

And yeah, I guess Yen Press is a much better publisher and more straightforward. They focus globally on comics with at least a less Japanese perspective. Hell, I give them credit for trying an anthology, but I really don't see it catching on. Hell, the New York Times and Boston Globe are almost dying. Magazines are shutting down. I don't think now is the time to start a comics anthology magazine.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
First of all, I never got MegaTokyo. I just don't see what's so damn great about it. Seven Seas was one of the first of various publishers to print the web comic. They then went to Dark Horse and now somehow are over at DC's really crappy manga imprint CMX.

You must be mistaking Seven Seas for Ironcat. We've never published MegaTokyo.

This whole right-to-left dead horse is really old, though. We use artist from all around the world and we've published series in both reading orientations. And really, Seven Seas has been publishing books since 2004, so we must've done something right if we managed to outlast Tokyopop's OEL glut. What matters is the final book itself and how readers respond to the material.

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes I am mistaking that. I was going by the original poster's comments. Now that you say it that name rings right. Plus upon looking on the post.. it seems this was an old thread someone popped up by accident. Though I guess it got going again.

I do admit I've picked up a couple of Seven Seas books to add to the stacks of comics I have around. Though I still politely disagree with the whole 'manga' artistic and sales aspect if it's not actually from a place where comics are called manga.

As for the left and right of it, I guess our politics just differ on that. If you're importing from Japan or.. er.. umm Israel? ..somewhere where the artist is creating from right to left, I can see leaving it in their way. Yet if you're an English creator, I just see it as backwards to try to emulate something native to another language.

Plus I'm sure Seven Seas is just following the market, but dear crap the invisible hand sure has stuck its thumb up its bum on this issue. I'd say that thousands of paying fanboys and fansgirls can be wrong. Still, flipping or calling it manga like that is not as dumb as.. saaaay.. back when kids were buying pet rocks. Wink
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
DC's really crappy manga imprint CMX.

I beg to differ. CMX has some really awesome stuff, especially if you're into classic shoujo manga. They made a lot of mistakes in their first year or so, but the things they did do right more than made up for it.

As for SevenSeas, I can see why it's doing well (or atleast isn't in deep shit). Webcomics already have a fanbase, that's always a plus.

I have to admit I've never bought anything from SevenSeas, because I couldn't find anything I like. I, Otaku: Struggle in Akihabara sounds kind of fun, but it didn't see many enthousiastic reviews, it was mostly "It's okay, but something it missing" and "It's no Genshiken"
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
Okay, I did get Gon and some Shin Chan from CMX despite reservations.

Yet, this is till DC / The comics division of AOL TIME WARNER. I follow enough of their editorial BS with the DC Universe poper books. Then there's some interest bits with the excellent work over at their vertigo in print. Don't get me started on the botched plastic surgery they've done to their poor bought out Wildstorm imprint. I wish they'd shoot it and put it out of its misery. Then they came up with CMX. One of their launch titles was a censored watered down PG-13 version of the adult title Tenjo Tenge. I know that was a while ago, but they still have no uncensored copies of the first issues. The total mismanagement of that, in additional to the constant mismanagement I keep seeing at DC has me stay as far away as possible.

Mind you, I got nothing wrong the titles. I was also tempted to check out Emma, but none of the other titles rang a bell or caught my eye. From what you say, it's nice to see older shojo titles get published. Though I sure hope they're left uncut. It's just I just can't stand the management.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
IIRC Tenjho Tenge is the only series CMX edited and the changes were made with the consent of the mangaka. Of course the fans aren't happy, but most publishers do stupid things like this. Viz wants us to believe Detec... Case Closed doesn't take place in Japan. Or maybe it does. I'm not sure at this point. However, everyone seems to agree Viz is a good publisher.

I can forgive a screw-up or two, as long as publishers make up for it one way or another. I'm not familiar with DC as a whole, buy most of my experiences with CMX are good ones.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, again, CMX is only an extention of DC Comics which is an extension of AOL Time Warner and they have a number of issues, so I extend my hesitance to trust them onto CMX. The whole idea of a big publisher like Time Warner trying to get a foothold into manga publishing makes me wonder how good they can really do. Tenjo Tenge was one of the few titles I was looking forward to and they royally did not understand the market on that one.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
From what you say, it's nice to see older shojo titles get published. Though I sure hope they're left uncut. It's just I just can't stand the management.

I never understood how CMX could survive with a catalog that's nearly all vintage shoujo titles...is there really such a market for that?

Though they are diversifying a bit, they did license one of the Polyphonica manga, and something by the Short Cuts guy, so they are getting some good seinen stuff.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Most of the CMX series aren't old shoujo, though they do have a lot more than the avarage American manga publisher. Shoujo manga is pretty big and since they keep licensing this stuff it must bring in some money. And it's not just shoujo. CMX has a lot of short series that are easy to overlook, but are actually quality manga (Chikyu Misaki, Astral Project, Key to the Kingdom). In any case, the people who decide which titles to license have pretty good taste.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2