• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese language question.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnighteve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Is there any significance to the "accent" Japan tends to give their "Chinese" characters? Let me clarify; the two character that I could think of at the top of my head are "China" from "Hetalia" and "Jam" from Guilty Gear (Yeah, i know, -not an anime-, but bear with me here. ^^; ) Both of them use the word "aru" (possibly the "dictionary" form of "arimasen"?) at the end of their sentences as well as a few other utterances that don't fit into the standard "hyojungo" that I suppose most characters use :/ Is this some sort of dialectal accent? And if so, why this one in particular?

I know I've hear this manner of speaking from other characters as well, but I just can't pin point them atm. Any insight would be great! This question's been on my mind for a while now, and I finally cracked and decided to ask about it (Sorry if it's in the wrong topic...)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:
Both of them use the word "aru" (possibly the "dictionary" form of "arimasen"?)

Dictionary/base form of "arimasu". "Arimasen" is the polite negative.

midnighteve wrote:
Is this some sort of dialectal accent? And if so, why this one in particular?

It's sloppy Japanese. Why? Because it's a convention that Chinese speakers mangle Japanese in this way, whether true or not. It's like any other theatrical version of "furriners" -- they always "talk funny". In the immortal words of Mario the Plumber: "That's-a just-a the way it is."

There are plenty of other theatrical dialects, e.g. the "ninja/samurai" style, where you use "sessha" as personal pronoun and "de gozaru" as standard copula verb. It's not realistic, it's stylized theatre.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midnighteve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the clarification! Very Happy That question's been bugging me for a while and it doesn't help when the most helpful thing one's grandmother can come up with (after having her read the manga) was "It sounds like a Chinese person to me. Who cares about your baka manga anyway" *hides head in hands* Thanks grandma. Ugh. Embarassed
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
You get examples of both in Negima with Ku Fei (Chinese) and Kaede (ninja).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1