• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokemon manga pages seriously need revamping.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I am rather apalled at the organization of this. Being a total Pokemon geek of the games and manga, I just can't ignore this for anything.

The problem? The various pages on the Pokemon manga cannot be identified, meaning they merely list unreliable titles that are in fact incorrect and practically have no idea what the heck they're talking about.

I'll give a perfect example of this.

Pokemon in the encyclopedia. This title refers to 'ポケットモンスター・電撃ピカチュウ Pocket Monsters: Dengeki Pikachu, and was merely titled 'Electric Tale of Pikachu' in America. And was never actually called 'Pokemon' alone. This may not mean much to you, but I'd much rather prefer if the dang titles in the encyclopedia were right.

'Pokemon' if anything should just redirect to 'Pocket Monsters', a manga authored by Anakubo Kousaku. Specifcally I am talking about this page in the encyclopedia. However 'Pokemon Pocket Monsters' is incorrect, it should just be 'Pocket Monsters' especially since many of the Pokemon manga (such as this one) never came to the American market. It ALSO shouldn't say 'adapted from the anime' for it was not, many of the manga are actually adapted from the games. Which makes much more sense as the games Pokemon Green/Blue and Red have obviously existed before the anime.

Also, Pokemon Ruby Sapphire should really only be labeled as Pocket Monsters RS, which was a sequel to the above manga.

As you can see, many of these titles and pages in the encyclopedia are wrong and in my honest opinion, need revamping. If anything, some of them look like they have to be removed and manually readded with correct information. And I do have non-wikipedia sources might I add.

Here is a listing of Pokemon manga. Unless otherwise specified, nearly all of these have never been licensed for the American market.

(Please also note that I also can't provide titles for every single one.)

Pocket Monsters (By Anakubo Kousaku)
Pocket Monsters RS (By Anakubo Kousaku)
Pocket Monsters DP (By Anakubo Kousaku)
Pocket Monsters Diamond-Pearl Legend: Pokémon DP (By Shigekatsu Ihara) (Entitled Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! in America)
Pocket Monsters ☆ SPECIAL (By Hidenori Kusaka) (Entitled Pokémon Adventures in America)
Pocket Monsters: Dengeki Pikachu (By Toshihiro Ono) (Entitled Electric Tale of Pikachu in America)
Satoshi and Pikachu (By Takashi Teshirogi)
Pocket Monsters PiPiPi ★ Adventures (By Yumi Tsukirino) (Entitled Magical Pokemon Journey in America)
Pokémon Chamo-Chamo ☆ Pretty ♪ (Sequel to PiPiPi) (By Yumi Tsukirino)
Pocket Monsters Zensho (Unknown author, but I have the cover image of this manga.)
Mezase!! Card Master (Based on the Pokemon Trading Card Game) (By Shūsuke Motomiya)
How I Became a Pokémon Card (By Kagemaru Himeno)
Pocket Monsters Emerald: Challenge!! Battle Frontier (By Shigekatsu Ihara)
Phantom Thief! Pokémon 7 (By Asada Miho)
ポケモン不思議のダンジョンギンジの救助隊 (By Makoto Mizobuchi) (Entitled Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team in America)

And only the following are adapted directly from the anime:

Pocket Monsters: Dengeki Pikachu/Electric Tale of Pikachu
Satoshi and Pikachu
Various mangas based on the movies, starting from The Power of One to Arceus: To a Conquering Spacetime

Personally, I would like to see what people think. I would really like to see an overhaul and I am willing to provide sources
and information adding on my own, however with all of those incorrect titles, I daresay that I would be unable to do a complete overhaul
entirely on my own. And though I'm sure that everyone here hates Pokemon, I would still like to see this change if possible.

Thank you and regards,
The Goron Marshall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1