• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
wrong name Li Mei Chan #60032

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hashihime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
On her agency home page, her name is romanized as Chiang Li-Mei (i.e., Li-Mei Chiang).

Her birth name is Satomi Toyohara, but she is half-Taiwanese and changed her stage name to the Chinese-sounding チャン・リーメイ (chyan riimei) in 2005. That "chyan" could be the common Cantonese surname Chan (i.e., Chen in Mandarin), but apparently is really Chiang (i.e., "Jiang" in mainland transliteration).

Some info from ja.wikipedia.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Fixed.

hashihime wrote:
That "chyan" could be the common Cantonese surname Chan (i.e., Chen in Mandarin), but apparently is really Chiang (i.e., "Jiang" in mainland transliteration).

Since she's half Taiwanese I'd say "Chiang" is most likely a Wade-Giles romanization. It could be either Chiāng (江, 姜) or Chiǎng (蔣).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1