• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Innocence : Subtitles not on USA DVD!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:48 am Reply with quote
not as odd as it sounds : apprently theyve put the captions for the hearing impared and forgotten to put the actual "english subtitles" track on there... so if you want oversized captions subs theyre there : in a huge font in the centre of the screen. if you want to watch the movie and just read what the dialogue is in a smallish font : tough.

waiting for news of a recall, but its christmas you know...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:32 am Reply with quote
Don't really care. There's already gratuitous text all over the place in the film anyway. The Dreamworks bashing is getting old, considering that I had to wait an extra year for the next wave of Miyazaki films, Totoro isn't included in it anymore, and the Takahata titles are still stuck in limbo.
pythos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
logboy wrote:
not as odd as it sounds : apprently theyve put the captions for the hearing impared and forgotten to put the actual "english subtitles" track on there... so if you want oversized captions subs theyre there : in a huge font in the centre of the screen. if you want to watch the movie and just read what the dialogue is in a smallish font : tough.

waiting for news of a recall, but its christmas you know...

Would you mind posting a source for this? (Seeing as the movie's release date is Dec. 28 & isn't out yet, it would be helpful.)
logboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:34 am Reply with quote
the source is this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5658010#post5658010

...and I've checked it too : i have the disc here in the UK, and its not that unusual for them to ship stuff early to people buying from online sites or to buy early from certain stores in the USA also...

trust me : theres english captions for the deaf, but no subtitles!
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
No, I looked at the screencaps, you must have a tiny TV. On any widescreen movie, the subs will not be below the image (the black bars mean that there is no information, so on a 4:3 TV, you'll see those black bars).

On your TV, the subs will look huge, and will seem to be high on the image, but I think they meant the movie to be seen on a large TV, and maybe the person doing the subs was new or something, and didn't know that they weren't supposed to add descriptive notes or something, but I thinking you're making a big deal about it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
logboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
ok : so it was me who said the subs look huge, but me repeating the start of the dvdtalk forum thread... theyre not huge, but the main issue is the annoying caps for the hard of hearing which signify that the pure subs file was missed off the disc.

check the official film site forum and you will see others complaining about it there too...
theLostProphet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm renting it first regardless. I forsee that in six months to a year they'll release the dvd again with a dub track. I can wait that long. <-- my two cents
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm renting it first regardless. I forsee that in six months to a year they'll release the dvd again with a dub track. I can wait that long. <-- my two cents

Highly unlikely.

The only things they're dubbing are the ones they plan to take wide. When you use real actors and don't rush job it, dubbing is expensive, even if it should never be done in the first place.
logboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:03 am Reply with quote
that and dreamworks simply DONT do dubs. period.
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
even if it should never be done in the first place.

Rolling Eyes

We get the message, you hate dubs. Now stop going on about it.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We get the message, you hate dubs. Now stop going on about it

When they stop dubbing, I'll stop talking about it.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The subs on Innocence was rather big, but it wasn't totally distracting from the show. although I wish it was a tad smaller, I still enjoyed the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
We get the message, you hate dubs. Now stop going on about it

When they stop dubbing, I'll stop talking about it.

Why do you hate dubs then? Its not like you are forced to watch them Confused
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I purchased the Inuyasha second movie DVD earlier today (here in the States). After watching it through dubbed I watched it part of the way through subbed - and, frankly, I don't see what the problem is. The subtitles don't look any different from normal.

And Sword of Whedon: they aren't likely to stop dubbing stuff for a good loooong time because many of us consumers (i.e. the ones who pay money for their anime) actually prefer it that way. So please, just stop the whining about it. If you don't like the dubs, then fine, just watch the subs. That's why DVDs are such a great format for anime: you can watch it whichever way your preference goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I purchased the Inuyasha second movie DVD earlier today (here in the States). After watching it through dubbed I watched it part of the way through subbed - and, frankly, I don't see what the problem is. The subtitles don't look any different from normal.

This is Ghost in the Shell Innocence. Not Inu Yasha. That subtitles are bigger than usual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2