• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Anime 'cartoons'"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote
I hate it when people refer to anime as cartoons. Anime isnt just cartoons. Animation and cartoons arent the same thing. Thats what I think. Am I overreacting?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
This question has been talked to death with no resolution in sight. Does it really matter what you define anime to be? Anime rocks. We like it. 'Nough said.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I hate it when people refer to anime as cartoons. Anime isnt just cartoons. Animation and cartoons arent the same thing. Thats what I think. Am I overreacting?

Define your terms. What is 'animation'. What are 'cartoons'. How - if at all - are the two different?

Why are anime *not* cartoons? Remember, when you try to make a sweeping statement like that, all it takes to invalidate the whole thing is one exception.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
People have different opinions on anime some people say its cartoons other say different...what I am trying to say that it is a matter of opinion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:47 pm Reply with quote
How do I best put this into.

Personally, I find "cartoons" to be just slap stick comedy type or just kids stuff like Tom and Jerry and most of the stuff on Nicklodeon and PBS. And other possible defenition of cartoons are the stuff you see in the paper like Garfield or the political cartoon (why don't they call it comics Razz?). I usually call the rest of the stuff a certain form of animation. Like I would call Spider-Man and X-Men action animation or something like that.

Anyway, I personally find anime finding itself to becoming it's own drama and will eventually be categorized that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Animation and cartoons are the same thing. If you look both up in the dictionary it will say "an animated cartoon" for both of them. Anime is defianantly a kind of cartoon. I don't think you should make the distiniction based on animation you like. Thats kind of an elitest attitude. Like that Japanese animation is always superior to US animation.
goddess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

First of all, I did not refer to anime as cartoons. I said that anime is better than American cartoons, and if I'm not mistaken, it does not seem like I'm saying that anime and cartoons are the same thing. Maybe you should learn how to read more accurately. (Oh, and you missed an apostrophe in 'aren't, isn't, and that's.) Also, you are totally overreacting! Rolling Eyes This is just a forum, not a life or death situation, so there is really no need to use the word, 'hate' .
OTP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime are cartoons, just not in the sense of your Saturday morning, Tom & Jerry-type cartoons. I really don't see the big deal about calling anime cartoons. Wouldn't Japanese people consider them cartoons?
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Although I sort of agree with DragonsRevenge, I hate it more when an anime club shows American cartoons saying that it is anime.

I assume their reasoning is: Anime = Japanese word for cartoons ~Therefore~> All cartoons = anime Sad
Amibite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Anime are cartoons.

Anyone who disagrees is a babbeling Japanese fanboy.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The way I see it, the term "cartoon" has evolved over time from describing gag strips & political commentary strips in the newspaper, to basically becoming a commonplace synonym for animation in general (probably due to the fact that many early animations were adapted from popular cartoon strips, like Felix the Cat and Popeye). In this respect, anime are indeed cartoons. The only difference is that the anime medium of cartoons (remember, I'm using "cartoon" as a casual term for "animation" here) tends to appeal to wider audiences and relies on overarching stories with definitive beginnings & ends a bit more than Western animation does. Short of that difference in the method of storytelling (not the method of physical creation), they're still both animated film, and as such both tend to fall under the common banner of "cartoons."

Last edited by Nagisa on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
The only difference is that the anime medium of cartoons (remember, I'm using "cartoon" as a casual term for "animation" here) tends to appeal to wider audiences and rely on overarching stories with definitive beginnings & ends a bit more than Western animation does.

If by "wider audiences", you mean the merchandise grabbing 1-3 AM watching 20 year old male crowd that plonk 4,800 yen down for a two episode DVD? That and the U.S counterparts who do kinda the same, only they get a better deal on DVDs.

While there are anime that have are fairly popular in Japan, such as Sazae-san, Mariko-chan, Doraemon etc, these can basically be lumped into the same category as The Simpsons, Family Guy, and other animation that is watched by young and old. You can also compare your Naruto, Dragonball, Gundam SEED Destiny and what not (your action/adventure/boy-oriented stuff) in the same category as Gargoyles, the Batman TV series (new and old), X-men and Justice League.

But in any case, it doesn't really matter, considering as I am posting this, Animenewsnetwork.com has a banner for 13 hours of "Top Cat" on DVD. Ain't life grand?
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The word "anime" started out as something the Japanese used to call any cartoon. In other countries, the word was used for every cartoon from Japan.

If you go to Japan, and you ask them what their favorite anime is, they might say "Simpsons" or "Loony Toons".

The same thing goes with manga. The Japanese use it to refer to any comic. If you go to Japan and ask what their favorite manga is, they might say "Batman".
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quote
well let's see: no live actors, pieces of paper animated in sequence... maybe highly advanced cartoons, but still no different than any Disney cartoon, in fact most animators were inspired by disney. it's really just a matter of preference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2