• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Laserdisc owners thread

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Descent123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
Well in less than a couple of months I got myself into the world of laserdiscs and what better way to get into them then buying up the Anime LDs. I own about 50+ of them and just about all of them are the US versions (I own two different pressings of Transformers the Movie and they are the only Japanese LDs in my collection).

Most of the Anime LD titles in my collection I already own the DVD versions of them. So why do I collection them when I own the DVD versions:

1. Cover Arts are nice.
2. Packaging (because of the size of LDs some of the packaging.
3. Some never came out on DVD/Blu-Ray in the US.
4. See any differences between the versions.
5. Most important reason: It's a laserdisc.

I'm currently using a Japanese Pioneer DVL-909 player that can read LDs and DVDs. Of course don't use the player for DVDs since the DVD part was a first generation player (and thus it reads the disc very slowly). I got the player not too long ago locally on Craigslist for $150 complete with the box, manual, player, and remote. This was actually a Japanese export model that was sold to tourist who was visiting Japan. The previous owner was stationed in Japan when he was in the Navy. In the US the DVL-909 was black, but honestly I like the Japanese Gold color better.

Pic of the player and yes that's a Japanese Sega Saturn on top of it:

General set up in the dorm room:

LDs upclose (top shelf is all live action except Akira since it's a Criterion Collection LD (and I own a lot of Criterion LDs), the bottom shelf is all the Anime except Last Action Hero Anime smallmouth):

When my camera's batteries are fully charge I need to take more pictures of some of these Anime LDs. The packaging in some of them can only be done on LDs. Of course there's the DVD versions and the Blu-Ray of some of them, but you know what owning them on Laserdisc it's something special. It's hard for me to explain it, you have to see one to understand (or even own one).

Of course it would be nice to have other Anime LD owners to talk about their experience of LDs and their collections. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1