• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Howl's Moving Castle question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:10 am Reply with quote
I just recently read the book, and came across a scene I couldn't help wonder about.

At one point the characters have to run around the rooms to write symbols of protection all over the castle, which are of course, pentagrams to protect against the Witch of the Waste.

Could anyone who's seen the movie in Japan tell me if Miyazaki kept this scene in it or not?

Just wondering because that's the only scene in the book I came across that I thought Disney may have a problem with.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:26 am Reply with quote
Dunno. haven't seen it. But I guess it would depend on how important that part is to the plot. If he did keep it in there, than disney would have to keep it in there, cos theyre under contract not to alter anything.
sacchan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
No, the scene's not in there. I just saw the movie yesterday, but I got the impression that it only follows the book loosely.

The movie was great! Both the visuals and the music were amazing. The story will leave you with lots of question marks floating in your mind afterwards, though. It leaves a lot unexplained. I'm re-reading the book right now to remind myself how the book dealt with these questions.

KimuTaku's voice was MUCH better than I expected. Howl was kakkoii~~

The only thing that really bothered me about this movie was young Sophie's voice. Old Sophie's voice was perfect, but young Sophie... I wanted her to sound like Nausicaa or Sheeta or San, but instead, she sounded like a MIDDLE-AGED WOMAN. It wasn't just her voice, but the way she said her lines sounded so old. No teenager will speak like that... I was disappointed because spoiler[ all the romantic scenes between Howl and Sophie didn't sound romantic at all ] to me Crying or Very sad
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Darn! I wanted to be the first one seeing that movie on this site lol (athough I already seen Steamboy which was also new). Nonetheless, I plan to watch it when I get back to Japan this December. I heard a number of criticizms from Japanese fans, especially against the voice selection, since it includes someone that is a celebrity/musician who is not really known for good acting (Kimutaku, do you guys know who he is??).

In terms of English translations, I personally call it: Houl's Mobile Fortress lol, although I don't know the official translation.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:07 am Reply with quote
imaginary_num6er wrote:

(Kimutaku, do you guys know who he is??).

Singer in SMAP, right? I suppose he was chosen as a match for the type of character he plays (oooh bishie! Rolling Eyes ), although I've never seen the other stuff where he acts...

imaginary_num6er wrote:

In terms of English translations, I personally call it: Howl's Mobile Fortress

Laughing Brilliant!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote
imaginary_num6er wrote:
In terms of English translations, I personally call it: Houl's Mobile Fortress lol, although I don't know the official translation.

It should be "Howl's Moving Castle" since it's originally an English title translated into Japanese.

Thanks guys for the info. I can't wait to see this movie, and also see how Disney handles the voices.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote
imaginary_num6er wrote:
Darn! I wanted to be the first one seeing that movie on this site lol

Let me make you know one thing. A recent movies festival called Festivan Internacional de Sitges (Sitges International Festival) started yesterday with Howl's Moving Castle. Not just that, it has been screened twice since yesterday. And I know a lot of europeans (heck, *spanish*) who have already (and legally) see it.

Not to mention that I could get a short trip to France and see it, hehe. Sorry u.u
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1